Prescription Drugs

Morning y'all!  I am getting conflicting advice so I thought the best place to confirm would be here 😁

On other trips (China and Europe) we only carried copies of our prescriptions and meds in an organizer BUT I was recently informed by another traveler that Canadian customs requires to have the prescription pill/med in their original bottles

Is this true?

Thanks!

I have not yet cruised out of Canada but with all our other cruises around the world to various locations, I have never been questioned about any of my medications that I typically do not carry in their original bottles but in those plastic pill keepers labeled Sunday thru Saturday. I keep them in my carry on bag that goes thru Security and never any issues. I am curious if others here have had any concerns or been questioned about their prescription medications while traveling.

Require? Not quite. Here's the exact wording (complete with typos) copied & pasted for your convenience from the relevant government web page:

Visitors to Canada:
Visitors to Canada may bring into Canada, on their person a single course of treatment or a 90-day supply based on the directions for use, whichever is less, of a prescription drug.

The drug must be for the individuals own personal use, for the use of a person for whom they are responsible and with whom they are travelling,.

The drug must be shipped/carried in one of the following:

• Hospital or pharmacy dispensed packaging;
  • Original retail packaging; or
  • have the original label affixed to it which clearly indicates what the health product is and what it contains.

So unless you can really carefully peel off the original labels and stick them onto your baggies/pill-a-day containers, the best way to be in compliance is to use original bottles. In practise this is the sort of thing that's rarely asked about of course, but if you are one of those unfortunates with a 'shifty' face who always gets hassled at borders or just want to play it safe, do what the rules say. Most pharmacies will now issue 'pill a day' format packaging for multiple meds that let you retain the convenience of 'pill a day' containers - depending on your medical coverage this might have a very modest extra charge or even none at all.

Has anyone been stopped about pills coming into Canada?  Between hubby and I we have about 30 prescriptions and carrying that many bottles is a problem.  (We did it last two times, but   trying to cut down weight and size.

We've been to Canada quite a few times, arriving by air, ship, and driving, and never been questioned about our prescription drugs - though that doesn't mean it can't happen.    Are you concerned about flying into/out of Canada or just getting off the ship on day trips?    If it's just day trips off the ship there should be no problem at all, as you wouldn't be taking your meds off the ship.