Ship time/Port time

Hey everyone!  We have a group booked on a Sunrise in September sailing out of New York.   We have 2 port stops in Canada,  Saint John and Halifax.  

The question that has come up  is this... So, Carnival is posting our port arrival time, but is that SHIP time when arrive/leave, or is that the time it is

in Halifax and  Saint John when we arrive and leave?  Both ports are Atlantic Time Zones!  

Thanks for any help!  I have emailed CCL, no answers yet.  

So does that mean that Sunrise will switch over to the Atlantic time?  Our CCL check in shows our port arrival at 10am leaving 6pm in Halifax,  when I went to the Halifax cruise ship schedule for this year, it shows Sunrise arriving 10am, departing 6pm.  We are booking excursions not from the ship so just want to be certain .  

4 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

It'll stay on NYC time the whole trip. Typically the only time they change the ship time as they go is with TA/TP and the like. 

I wonder why on the CCL site where we see our itinerary it says for Halifax  10am arrival, 6 pm departure , but on the Halifax cruise terminal calendar itself it says the same thing for Carnival Sunrise, 10am arrival , 1800 (6pm) departure. That is what is confusing. If our arrival and departure are on  Ship time , then that would be that we arrive at 11am in Halifax and depart at 7pm Halifax time...Carnival is confusing a lot of people trying to get their excursions booked.  I will call CCL and find out what the deal is. Thank you!!!    When I find out, I will definitely share it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CruisnMom007 said:

Hey everyone!  We have a group booked on a Sunrise in September sailing out of New York.   We have 2 port stops in Canada,  Saint John and Halifax.  

The question that has come up  is this... So, Carnival is posting our port arrival time, but is that SHIP time when arrive/leave, or is that the time it is

in Halifax and  Saint John when we arrive and leave?  Both ports are Atlantic Time Zones!  

Thanks for any help!  I have emailed CCL, no answers yet.  

September in Halifax and St. John? Yikes.

5 hours ago, nycruise3 said:

It is the same time zone as the home port. So in your case, keep your watch set to New York time

NYC is Eastern Standard Time and Halifax/St John are Atlantic Time Zone. We have had them change times when sailing to Canada.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:13 AM, mizLORInj said:

Whenever we have done the Canada runs on Carnival out of NYC, we set the clocks ahead to be on Atlantic time.  That's why the ship time is showing the same as the local cruise port schedule. 

This has not been my experience. We have sailed CCL 3 time from NYC on Canada/New England itineraries. Only once have they done the time change. To the best of my knowledge it is up to the senior navigation officers if they will change the time to match the local. Generally the officers (after conferring/ the Entertainment Director) are willing to change from homeport time to local time is if there is at least 1 Fun Day at Sea between the ports with the different time zones. Since CCL corporate does not know very far ahead of the cruise which way a Captain and senior staff will vote they list the expected arrival and departure times in local till then. So don't be surprised if sometime within a 30-90 day window prior to departure you see the docking times change to reflect what ship's time will be for your voyage.

Just now, maryred said:

This has not been my experience. We have sailed CCL 3 time from NYC on Canada/New England itineraries. Only once have they done the time change. To the best of my knowledge it is up to the senior navigation officers if they will change the time to match the local. Generally the officers (after conferring/ the Entertainment Director) are willing to change from homeport time to local time is if there is at least 1 Fun Day at Sea between the ports with the different time zones. Since CCL corporate does not know very far ahead of the cruise which way a Captain and senior staff will vote they list the expected arrival and departure times in local till then. So don't be surprised if sometime within a 30-90 day window prior to departure you see the docking times change to reflect what ship's time will be for your voyage.

So it does happen. It gets confusing when daylight saving time kicks in. And like most smart phones and computers the time will change automatically when crossing into the time zone and if Carnival does not change...well...let the fun begin. OP, if you are booking Carnival excursions there are no worries. If booking independent then coordinate with the operators. They are aware of the time confusion.

10 hours ago, mexicobob said:

When we sailed to Alaska from Seattle, they changed the time coming and going.

But were all your ports of call in the same time zone?

Canada/NE cruises tend to visit 2 different time zones for their ports of call. Some itineraries hopscotch back and forth between the 2, due to terminal availabilities.

14 hours ago, maryred said:

But were all your ports of call in the same time zone?

Canada/NE cruises tend to visit 2 different time zones for their ports of call. Some itineraries hopscotch back and forth between the 2, due to terminal availabilities.

The last 2 ports , Saint John and the next day Halifax are the only ones in Atlantic time Zone.  

This is our Itinerary: 

On 5/14/2019 at 10:48 PM, CruisnMom007 said:

The last 2 ports , Saint John and the next day Halifax are the only ones in Atlantic time Zone.  

This is our Itinerary: 

AS I said i's up to the senior navigation crew on board. The only time we changed ship's time on Carnival to local on a NE/Canadian cruise was when we had a day at sea between the ports in the Eastern time zone and Atlantic time zone. that itinerary was...

DAY 1 - New York
DAY 2 - Boston
DAY 3 - Portland
DAY 4 - A Fun Day at Sea
DAY 5 - Saint John
DAY 6 -Halifax
DAY 7 - A Fun Day At Sea
DAY 8 - New York

The time change was announced in the printed version only of the FunTimes published for Day 3 Portland that at 2am they would reset the ships time back to 1am and to adjust all personal timepieces before going to sleep that night. Reminders were then given by the MDR Maitre'D during dinner and at all major entertainment venues before and after the shows. A similar process was observed on Day 6 Halifax about returning to Eastern time for our home port return. Still many people on board on day 4 and 7 were confused about what the ship's time actual was arriving an hour late or early for activities to the point that the CD started to announce from noon till 3pm what hour it was on board.

Also unique about his cruise was the Elegant Nights were both held on port days, again Day 3 Portland and Day 6 Halifax.  Just to note Halifax frequently gets fogged out in the late summer and fall. If you plan on private arrangement tours make sure of the refund policy.

On 5/16/2019 at 11:44 AM, maryred said:

AS I said i's up to the senior navigation crew on board. The only time we changed ship's time on Carnival to local on a NE/Canadian cruise was when we had a day at sea between the ports in the Eastern time zone and Atlantic time zone. that itinerary was...

DAY 1 - New York
DAY 2 - Boston
DAY 3 - Portland
DAY 4 - A Fun Day at Sea
DAY 5 - Saint John
DAY 6 -Halifax
DAY 7 - A Fun Day At Sea
DAY 8 - New York

The time change was announced in the printed version only of the FunTimes published for Day 3 Portland that at 2am they would reset the ships time back to 1am and to adjust all personal timepieces before going to sleep that night. Reminders were then given by the MDR Maitre'D during dinner and at all major entertainment venues before and after the shows. A similar process was observed on Day 6 Halifax about returning to Eastern time for our home port return. Still many people on board on day 4 and 7 were confused about what the ship's time actual was arriving an hour late or early for activities to the point that the CD started to announce from noon till 3pm what hour it was on board.

Also unique about his cruise was the Elegant Nights were both held on port days, again Day 3 Portland and Day 6 Halifax.  Just to note Halifax frequently gets fogged out in the late summer and fall. If you plan on private arrangement tours make sure of the refund policy.

WOW!  THANK YOU FOR THE DETAIL!  The good thing is, the tour we booked for Halifax I paid a small deposit and pay the balance upon arrival. I need to check the refund on the deposit. Thank you!