Baltic cruise - seas in May

milokama

Aloha everyone!  

We are 9 short days away from embarkation on our Baltic cruise on the Silly.

I’ve looked up other postings asking about the weather and sea conditions during different times of the year.  

I know that weather varies from year to year, season to season, day to day.

It seems most people respond with “ Difficult to tell”, “Varries throughout the season”... etc.

I’m interested in hearing from folks Who cruised the Baltic in May (regardless of the year) , and what the experience was like.

Thanks for any responses!!

Edited by milokama
Title clarification

We sailed from harwich in may 2012.  Gothenburg was cold and showery - coat weather. Stockholm started out cool and after a while we were carrying our coats. One sea day the Sea was terrible wind and rain and I endedup in bed all day after taking a sea sickness tablet (husband got them from the medical centre). Half the ship had sea sickness it was that rough. Copenhagen, Helsinki and Tallin were mid teens in temperature- light jacket. Russia, st Petersburg and Peterhof were unusually hot, mid twenties - shorts weather. Apparently it mostly rains in Russia so we were really lucky. Sea on the way back was like a millpond. It was a brilliant cruise we are doing it again in June.

We traveled May 2014.  Being from Southern California I run a bit cold.  I wore a packable light jacket in most of the ports (Amsterdam, Helsinki, Stockholm, Copenhagen) but while it was cool it was nice.  St. Petersburgh was very cold and rainy while Estonia was bitterly cold - even the Canadians complained.  As far as the sea travel, the only time there was any rolling was coming out of Copenhagen back up to Amsterdam. I guess that is typical in that area.

M   

Edited by mimbecky

May 2015 on Eclipse - calm seas, even in the North Sea.

Weather was very good, hardly any rain and coats not really needed, although we took light waterproofs ashore with us just in case.  We used them on the river trip in St Petersburg as wind protection.

It's a very interesting cruise. Enjoy it!