clarificaton on the hot drinks package

dfwguy

Just off the Westbound M910 SOU-NYC crossing. I was ready to purchase the hot drinks package on board ship (day2) deck 7. I was going to purchase package for myself only , as my spouse does not drink coffee.  I was advised that you must purchase a hot drink package  for each of the passengers in your stateroom. Quite an unhappy surprise. I presume this applies to cold drink packages as well. I must admit this is not made very clear in the 'fine print' on the website. Why oh why, can't they go back to the coffee punch card.

Just to confirm, here's a link to Cunard's online brochure about the "A World of Drinks" packages.

https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/marketing-assets/pdf/life-on-board/drinks-packages/world-of-drinks-drinks-packages-brochure.pdf

Note the last lines of the fine print in this brochure.

"All adults in the same stateroom are required to purchase the same Drinks Option.

Full Terms and Conditions are available and can be obtained."

When you purchase any of these packages, even the basic soft drinks option, you are asked to sign a form indicating you agree to all the terms and conditions, which is another page just by itself.

For the basic Soft Drinks Option, the terms and conditions include 21 different bullet points covering "What is included", "Package details and qualifications", and "Exclusions and limitations". Those bullet points include

• Each guest assigned to the same stateroom, with the exception of infants aged 3 years and younger, must purchase the same Drinks Option. Sharing is not permitted.
  • Only one drink at a time may be ordered. There is a 10 minute wait time between ordering drinks. ...

and this final sort of "gotcha" condition which states in part

• Shipboard management also reserves the right to add additional restrictions and revoke or cancel the Soft Drinks Option at any point during a guest's voyage for any reason without a refund, as appropriate. ...

On 5/11/2019 at 9:03 PM, bluemarble said:

For the basic Soft Drinks Option, the terms and conditions include 21 different bullet points covering "What is included", "Package details and qualifications", and "Exclusions and limitations". Those bullet points include

• Only one drink at a time may be ordered. There is a 10 minute wait time between ordering drinks. ...

The 10 minute wait time seems to be left up to the discretion of the wait staff, however. A few times I ordered two drinks (on the basic soft drinks package) at the same time (since the wait staff were busy) and received them no problem. 

I also much preferred the previous system, where you just had the sticker, and your card didn't have to be swiped. It seemed to be much faster for the staff as well. 

1 hour ago, neeuqdrazil said:

The 10 minute wait time seems to be left up to the discretion of the wait staff, however. A few times I ordered two drinks (on the basic soft drinks package) at the same time (since the wait staff were busy) and received them no problem. 

I also much preferred the previous system, where you just had the sticker, and your card didn't have to be swiped. It seemed to be much faster for the staff as well. 

I had a similar experience. Once I requested and received a second soft drink well within the ten-minute limit. The bar tender did not bother to swipe my card for that second soft drink however.

I also much preferred the old system for the basic soft drink package where all you had to do was show your card with the soft drink package sticker to the waiter/bar tender. Now you hand over your card (even though it still has a soft drink package sticker on it) and are asked to sign a receipt for the drink even though there is no charge. Not sure if that is to monitor the usage of the package or to solicit extra tips on the receipts we sign. Perhaps both. But that is an extra nuisance.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2