FYI's for Norwegian Joy

I am on the ship now. We reserved our Footloose and Elements online through NCL.com before we sailed. They changed the dates we had selected but we were given guaranteed tickets on the alternate nights. They sold out right away and other passengers are going to have to wait to see if there are no shows 10 minutes before showtime. So best to make your reservation ahead. 

On 5/27/2019 at 4:37 PM, Snagler said:

I am on the ship now. We reserved our Footloose and Elements online through NCL.com before we sailed. They changed the dates we had selected but we were given guaranteed tickets on the alternate nights. They sold out right away and other passengers are going to have to wait to see if there are no shows 10 minutes before showtime. So best to make your reservation ahead. 

Same thing happened to us. I thought it was first week problems. Sorry to hear it’s still happening. 

We are in a concierge family suite. There is one electrical outlet in our master bedroom but USB ports in the lamps on each side of the bed. There are multiple electrical outlets in the living room and the bunk room has several USB and electrical outlets. I think it depends on your room what you have. We brought an extension cord thankfully. There was no electrical outlet in the bathrooms. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Snagler said:

We are in a concierge family suite. There is one electrical outlet in our master bedroom but USB ports in the lamps on each side of the bed. There are multiple electrical outlets in the living room and the bunk room has several USB and electrical outlets. I think it depends on your room what you have. We brought an extension cord thankfully. There was no electrical outlet in the bathrooms. 

What amenities do you receive in concierge?  Priority Embarkation area? meals in private restaurants? a private lounge/bar? Priority disembarkation? 

13 hours ago, drumming cruisers said:

What amenities do you receive in concierge?  Priority Embarkation area? meals in private restaurants? a private lounge/bar? Priority disembarkation? 

Priority boarding and disembarkation (jwe just left this morning and disembarkation was a breeze with concierge status. Definitely worth it) If you are heading to the Seattle airport I would definitely recommend just grabbing a taxi after you exit the ship. There are plenty of taxis waiting and you bypass the long line of passengers waiting to load luggage and board the buses the ship provides. 

We had private breakfast and lunch dining in La Cucina. No lines or crowds. Wonderful. 

No private bar or lounge though but there are SOOO many bars and lounges on board you have no trouble finding a lively or a quiet one depending on your preference. Bar service was plentiful and never an issue. 

We also had our own concierge guy although we never used him. 

They assigned color tags to groups based on the time they wanted to disembark. People then gathered in different areas of the ship to be called off in groups. As priority, we were to head to the Joy Theatre area between 8-9am to disembark. We got there about 8::30 am to disembark. We had eating breakfast at La Cucina (best steak and eggs of the week!) at 7:30am and then returning to our room to gather our belongings and one last check for anything left behind. 

When we got to the 7 Th floor where the Joy Theatre is we exited the elevator and there was a crew staff person directing you where to go based on your color ticket. When we said we were priority, they pointed us toward the Theatre but just before the entrance to the theatre they guided us to a gang plank was set up to take you off the ship. We rolled right out and down to the customs and Border Patrol inspectors then were realeased to collect our luggage in port terminal. Luggage was staged in groups by colored tickets. It was well organized. 

It went very swiftly. Many staff were situated around to guide you and help. 

We grabbed a taxi right outside and headed to the airport about a half hour through traffic costing $45 for four adult riders and luggage. 

SEA-TAC airport was jammed with passengers. It took prob 45 minutes to get luggage checked through and follow the long line of the security check point. There are so many thousands of passengers arriving off the cruise ships and many more folks arriving in time to get to their cruise. SEA-TAC is wildly busy. All of our flights departed after noon so we had plenty of time to eat, disembark, ride to the airport and get through security. 

On May 24, 2019 at 1:47 PM, rrrijah said:

do people (and does Joy allow) decorate their room doors?

We did not see any decorated doors. There was no rule saying Norwegian would care if you did tho. 

On May 25, 2019 at 1:59 AM, luvincruising said:

Great review.  Thank you for taking the time compiling this detailed review.  What type of shoes/ boots did you wear in ports and on the ship?  Waterproof? Insulated?

:classic_smile:

On the ship people wore a variety of shoes from dress up to flip flops. I wore my tennis shoes, nice jeans, a short sleeve shirt with a zipper sweatshirt all the time on the ship. Other people wore tshirts, shorts and flip flops on the ship. It kind of depends on how hot or cold you usually feel indoors. Inside it was probably around 70 degrees. Outside it varied from high 40's to 70's.  They do have nice soft blankets you can borrow in the pool area to wrap up in to stay warm on outside decks. 

In ports it would depend on your excursion. If you are just walking around town regular walking shoes are fine. My 23 yr olds wore flip flops in Victoria but tennis shoes the rest of the ports. 

It was 77 degrees and sunny on Memorial Day in Ketchikan. Most other days was in the sixties. 

It only rained lightly one morning in Juneau. We wore old tennis shoes and rain jackets to Mendenhall Glacier park. The paths are paved or packed down sand so we're a little wet but not muddy. 

I saw very few folks wearing boots or hikers. 

On May 21, 2019 at 4:07 AM, mikembs said:

I had crab legs on the Joy the next week. The king crab was ok. The dungeness was really good. 

No crab legs were to be found on the Joy this past week for us. :(

We are also in the concierge room aug  24 but with the balcony. Anyone have pics on this and also outlet info?  Was room service included with this room?  Thanks! 

Any special  tips or hints that we should know? 

12 hours ago, swimmom1 said:

We are also in the concierge room aug  24 but with the balcony. Anyone have pics on this and also outlet info?  Was room service included with this room?  Thanks! 

We were in Rm 14138.  Make your reservations for the shows in advance. Have a great time!

room 1.JPG

room 2.JPG

room 3.JPG

2 hours ago, swimmom1 said:

Wow. Thanks for the pics. Room looks sharp!  Was there a table to eat in the room. I do not see one.  Also was room service included? 

Yes there was a table. Room service was limited to the Continental breakfast unless you wanted to pay. Maybe that will change in the future. 

Enjoy your trip.

AA484C39-EA60-4199-8E18-7305841489FD.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, swimmom1 said:

I’m also cruising on the 24th      Have a mini suite with balcony   83days and counting. 🛳⛴🚢️🛥

Do the concierge cabins have the rock hard mattresses that are in the standard cabins, or do they have the comfortable one piece pillow top mattresses from The Haven?

Edited by cksv

10 hours ago, cksv said:

Do the concierge cabins have the rock hard mattresses that are in the standard cabins, or do they have the comfortable one piece pillow top mattresses from The Haven?

I found the bed very comfortable but everyone has their own preferences.

1 hour ago, Falfurrias said:

Here is a review (actually a complaint) about this same cruise on Christopher Elliott's website.  Hard to believe this was the same cruise.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/ncl-joy-maiden-voyage-not-ready-for-passengers.10343/

The ships clock was messed up. We asked for a wake-up call the first time by the computer and it woke us up in the middle of the night. From then on we asked the concierge for the wake-up call and it worked fine. Our biggest issue was not hearing the announcements. They kept breaking up coming through the TV. The best place we could hear them was in the halls. 

We did not have the internet on the ship.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, cksv said:

The master bedroom mattress in our concierge family suite this past week was very comfortable. My husnband and I had no complaints on the comfort.  May not have been a pillow top exactly like a Haven as I haven't been in one to compare but certainly not a rock hard mattress. 

While I did not lie on one of the bunk mattresses in the second bedroom, my sons say it was "not stellar but fine" (coming from previous college campus experiences, I'm taking that as better than a dorm, lol)  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Falfurrias said:

Here is a review (actually a complaint) about this same cruise on Christopher Elliott's website.  Hard to believe this was the same cruise.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/ncl-joy-maiden-voyage-not-ready-for-passengers.10343/

We also had clock issues last week on the Joy. Somehow my husband's phone got pinged in Seattle while still in port and located him in Singapore. He had Singapore time on his phone for 2 days until it pinged again in Ketchikan and finally reset itself.

We were advised in the Freestyle Daily to turn our clocks ahead or back an hour the night before arriving in certain ports. Since our phones did not get signals at sea this didn't work automatically. We set a phone timer instead of alarms to wake us in the mornings just to be sure we got up when we hoped to. 

I did have on an old fashioned watch with hands, no other tech to it, so I was able to set the actual time on my watch. There were days we only could use my watch to really know what time it was on the ship. The Internet connection didn't reset the time on our phones.

• Like 1

We also had clock issues last week on the Joy. Somehow my husband's phone got pinged in Seattle while still in port and located him in Singapore. He had Singapore time on his phone for 2 days until it pinged again in Ketchikan and finally reset itself.

We were advised in the Freestyle Daily to turn our clocks ahead or back an hour the night before arriving in certain ports. Since our phones did not get signals at sea this didn't work automatically. We set a phone timer instead of alarms to wake us in the mornings just to be sure we got up when we hoped to. 

I did have on an old fashioned watch with hands, no other tech to it, so I was able to set the actual time on my watch. There were days we only could use my watch to really know what time it was on the ship. The Internet connection didn't reset the time on our phones.

In these cases, it's best to set the time zone on your phone manually.  On iPhones, it's Settings > General > Date & Time.  Android phones should be similar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/1/2019 at 11:20 AM, Snagler said:

Priority boarding and disembarkation (jwe just left this morning and disembarkation was a breeze with concierge status. Definitely worth it) If you are heading to the Seattle airport I would definitely recommend just grabbing a taxi after you exit the ship. There are plenty of taxis waiting and you bypass the long line of passengers waiting to load luggage and board the buses the ship provides. 

We had private breakfast and lunch dining in La Cucina. No lines or crowds. Wonderful. 

No private bar or lounge though but there are SOOO many bars and lounges on board you have no trouble finding a lively or a quiet one depending on your preference. Bar service was plentiful and never an issue. 

We also had our own concierge guy although we never used him. 

Do you have the breakfast and lunch menus for La Cucina?