Crown Princess Menu's

crazytomatoes

Sorry I didn't get photos of the last full day.  We took a tour of Mont Saint Michel in France and it was 10.5 hours so by the time we got back at 7pm, we were dead tired.  We ate in the Horizon Court (it was Mexican night) and then we had to go back to our cabin to pack our bags and put them in the hallway.  By the time all that was done, I had totally forgotten about the menu photo.

IMG_3823.JPG

IMG_3824.JPG

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

Oh my gosh thank you so much for posting these!  You are awesome!  We have nine days to go and these are making me hungry 🙂

You are very welcome.  Sorry for the quality on some of them.  Now that we're home, it's tough trying to scrounge together a meal.  We get spoiled real fast.  

• Thanks 1

We embarked in Southampton on May 25.  Muster was at 4:15pm in the Explorer Lounge for us since we had a cabin in the aft of the ship.  It was over in 10 minutes.  We were supposed to set sail at 5pm, which was our dinner time but the ship was delayed waiting for late passengers from Heathrow so we had a nice dinner in the Botticelli dining room then watched from our balcony as we set sail out of Southampton.  Guests who embarked in Dublin and LeHavre had separate muster drills on their embarkation days, while we were on our shore excursions.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

Thanks so much Diver.  Would love to hear about the excursions you took and the entertainment on the ship.

Excursions......that was what this cruise was all about!!!!  And what an awesome cruise it was. We did Princess excursions

except on Guernsey and in Liverpool. I like someone taking me by the hand and narrating the entire tour for me without having to find a meeting place or exchanging money.  I thought the Princess excursions were wonderful, you got your money's worth and the tour hosts on the buses were locals who were very knew the answer to almost every question.  I loved their local accents as well.  

Southampton: we stayed at the Holiday Inn, right on the waterfront on the 7th floor where we could see all the ships. You must

eat at the Gate House 1833 if you arrive in Southampton before your cruise.  It was awesome!  It's the domed       building on the water front next to Mayflower Park (yes, that Mayflower).  

Guernsey:  we took the tender ashore after the tour groups, about 9am.  We bought tickets on Le Petit Train which picks you up right on the pier for 6 pounds each ($10 USD and they also take Euros).  It's an open air tourist tram.  Unfortunately, as we got to the top of the hill in St Peter Port, the engine caught fire and we had to all bail.  They had just gotten a new engine running the night before and obviously didn't have time to test it out.  So we walked downhill back to the pier and they refunded our money. We were sitting in the front row of the first car so the flames coming up were a bit frightening.  The insulation under the hood had caught fire but the driver was able to extinguish the flames fairly quickly.  I think an oil line broke due to the intense flames.

So that was exciting.  We took the tender back after walking around the port.  There was no line. The first formal night was tonight in the MDR's and specialty restaurants and yes, almost everyone wore their formal wear.

Cork (Cobh):  Our tour of the city and Irish Whiskey tour didn't start until afternoon so we slept in.  Cobh was a bit too far for me to walk since I'd just had a hip replacement plus it was cloudy and cold.  The tour bus picked us up right from the ship and drove directly to Cork for a city tour and Irish Whiskey distillery where everyone got 3 samples to compare.  Irish whiskey and scotch whiskey are two totally different beverages.  No, we didn't go to Blarney Castle - no interest in that for us. 

Dublin:  since Dublin is a working port, no one was allowed to wander off the ship on their own.  There was a shuttle to the Merrion Square in town for $16 roundtrip and you could charge that to your shipboard account.  We did a city tour, had over an hour at Christ Church Cathedral, then went to the Woolen Center where I purchased a beautiful scarf for only 10 Euros and then on to Glendalough, which was absolutely amazing (and recommended by Rick Steves, which is why we signed up for this tour).  The ruins of a monastery in a lush green Irish valley were gorgeous - and the sun was shining!  

IMG_2460.JPG

• Thanks 1

Belfast, Northern Ireland  (by the way, I'm going to mention here that Cork, Dublin and LeHavre use Euros as their currency and everywhere else is in British pounds - I exchanged a couple hundred US dollars before we left home and found that was adequate for small purchases and tips for the guides and drivers  They really don't want your US dollars but some of the more touristy places will take then with an eye roll).  If you don't have a tour, there is a shuttle bus into town, again for $16 round trip.

We took the tour to Giant's Causeway and that was amazing.  There are shuttle buses to take you to the stones because it's a very long walk, I'd say at least 3/4 mile to the bottom.  Definitely worth the trip....again a Rick Steves recommended site.

That evening, an Irish dance troupe and musicians gave a wonderful 45 minute show in the Princess Theater, once at 7:15pm and again at 9:15pm - don't miss it!

Liverpool: depending on your cruise, you'll stop at Liverpool, Kirkwall in the Orkney's or stay overnight in Dublin.  I chose this cruise because I've been a Beatles fan since 1963 and I wanted to see Liverpool since then.  We bought tickets for the HopOnHopOff bus before leaving home and paid 20 pounds for both of us versus $99 each for the Princess tour, which went to the exact same places.  Our HoHo tickets also included admission to the Beatles Story, on the waterfront in Liverpool.  So, I got my photo taken at Penny Lane and in front of the gate to Strawberry Fields and that's fine.  Nice memories. Beautiful day in Liverpool but a bit chilly.

IMG_2639.JPG

IMG_2784.JPG

• Thanks 1

Glasgow (Greenock):  It was a rainy day but we were signed up for a boat tour of Loch Lomond, which turned out to be beautiful.  We cruised along one shore (inside where it was warm and they had hot drinks for sale) and then we went to the Scottish Woolen Centre, where we saw a very wet border collie round up a group of ducks.  Nice place to buy some Scottish items.

We drove back past Stirling Castle but were not able to stop.   The next day was our first 'sea day'.  There was a wonderful show that evening in the Princess Theater by the Princess singers and dancers called Sweet Soul Music - same show we saw on the Crown last November in the Caribbean.  A 60's themed show and still good.

Invergordon: We did a Loch Ness cruise (again on a rainy day) with a cruise past Urquhart Castle, which was a half day tour.

No monster sightings but we did have a bit of a scare when our bus had to back down a twisty, narrow road over the hills because it couldn't make it up the grade (it was a 'short cut' back to town).  We finally for a running start and made it up but I'd prefer to go the long way next time.

IMG_3446.JPG

IMG_3424.JPG

• Thanks 1

Edinburgh (South Queensferry😞 this was the other tender port.  The ship anchored just next to the Forth of Firth bridge (what an amazing sight!!!) and we bounced up and down into the dock, which was submerged by the time we got back.  We did a city tour and then walked all the way up the hill to Edinburgh Castle, which was packed with people!  I'd been there before in 2006 so I knew it would be steep.  Shoulder to shoulder people.....and long lines to see the crown jewels.  We walked around a bit then left because of the crowds.  Another cold, overcast day but then, that's Scotland.  The next day was our second sea day. I can't remember which day it was but a Scottish dance troupe and musicians performed in the Princess Theater.  Since I used to belong to a Scottish highland dance group when I was young, I was thrilled to see them perform.  Bagpipes echoed throughout the ship.  As we left Edinburgh, a Scottish pipe band played for us on the pier. Amazing.

IMG_3743.JPG

IMG_3587.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

It all sounds so wonderful and THANK YOU for posting your excursions and the Menus, which look awesome.  We are sailing the 8/29/19 sailing out of Southampton and your posts are getting us even more excited that we already were!

Was the little train on Cobh operating again?  It takes you around the area and up to the cathedral, which is a steep climb.  I had read on Trip Advisor that "they were waiting for a part to come in to be able to repair it".

Patty

LeHavre, France

and finally......last sea day -- time to get packed and ready to get off day after tomorrow  - and tomorrow is our stop at LeHavre, France (where again, you'll need Euros to spend).  This was a10.5 hour tour for us, to Mont Ste Michel.  I have wanted to see that place since I was 15 and OMG, I was not disappointed!  While everyone else went to the 75th Anniversary ceremonies of D-Day on the Normandy beaches, we headed south.  Our first glimpse of Mont Ste Michel was amazing and even with a new hip, I was able, with the help of my husband dragging me by the arm, to climb all the way to the top. Our guide took us all the way through and it was breath taking.  Worth the trip.  I can't describe the view from the top.  Needless to say, it was the crowning glory of an awesome cruise.  Everyone got back to the ship tired but happy.  We picked up some new passengers in LeHavre while the rest of us (except for some 'Dubliners' disembarked in Southampton.  The Horizon Court was open at 5am for breakfast. We had an early flight so we were some of the first off the ship.  We were at Heathrow at 9:30am.  Couldn't have gone smoother (except security at Heathrow took my liquid medicines and my toothpaste that were larger than 3 oz.  Grrrr…..).  An absolutely wonderful cruise.  We had issues with our stateroom but I didn't let that bother us too much.  Everything else was awesome and the sunset on the English Channel was the grand finale.  Questions?

IMG_3896.JPG

IMG_4069.JPG

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, zaks pack4 said:

It all sounds so wonderful and THANK YOU for posting your excursions and the Menus, which look awesome.  We are sailing the 8/29/19 sailing out of Southampton and your posts are getting us even more excited that we already were!

Was the little train on Cobh operating again?  It takes you around the area and up to the cathedral, which is a steep climb.  I had read on Trip Advisor that "they were waiting for a part to come in to be able to repair it".

Patty

I can't say if the train on Cobh was operating since it was too far to walk into town and it was a rainy morning.  I didn't see one running from the distance.  The ship docked at the rail station that goes into Cork and it was a bit of a hike to go into Cobh.

Wow thanks for all of your details on the Princess shore excursions.  We are doing the Edinburgh castle one as well so good to know about the uphill walk and major crowds.  Didn't know they have bagpipe players at sailaway there!  I'm also glad that I switched from the Loch Ness cruise one to the Urquhart Castle one after seeing your photo of the swells from the boat, and the info about the bus backing down a narrow road (I would have hated that!).  And I didn't realize that the Belfast shuttle is $16pp like Dublin (last year it was free apparently).  So thank you! 

Thank you for sharing all this helpful information!  We are on the BI cruise leaving on 6/30 and cannot wait. 

Would you please tell me about the temperature in the dining room/Horizon Court?  Was it cold?  I’m wondering what to pack for dinners on board.  I know it will be quite cool outside, but I don’t know what to expect inside the ship (we have only done warm weather cruises where people wore lightweight dresses etc to dinner). 

Thank you!

43 minutes ago, Wren_dc said:

Thank you for sharing all this helpful information!  We are on the BI cruise leaving on 6/30 and cannot wait. 

Would you please tell me about the temperature in the dining room/Horizon Court?  Was it cold?  I’m wondering what to pack for dinners on board.  I know it will be quite cool outside, but I don’t know what to expect inside the ship (we have only done warm weather cruises where people wore lightweight dresses etc to dinner). 

Thank you!

It was a 'cool' cruise in more ways than one.  I always wore long sleeves or a sweater to dinner, no matter if we went to the MDR or Horizon Court.  We're originally from Florida so we brought plenty of long sleeves.  The a/c in our cabin was the worst....we had the temperature gauge all the way to the top and it was still freezing in there.  Three times they came to our room to fix it but it was always too cool for us.  I suppose someone from up north would think the MDR was quite comfortable but it was a bit cool for us. I always had a cup of hot tea after dinner to warm up and  spent a lot of time in the 'hot tub' (actually lukewarm tub) up on deck 16 aft.  I also spent $35 for a Princess windbreaker style coat on board.  And I bought a scarf and gloves and a pair of socks in various ports as souvenirs but they got worn before the end of the cruise.

We've done mostly Caribbean cruises in the past so we had to think outside our comfort box for this cruise.

Edited by Diver2014
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...