Bus & Ferry Pass in Bermuda

64FlipFlops

Has anyone used the bus & ferry pass to do sightseeing on your own in Bermuda?  If so, did it work well?  Where did you buy the pass? Can you recommend any 'must sees' while in Bermuda?  History? Unique sights? Great restaurants? Thanks in advance for your answers and recommendations.  I really appreciate your time :-)

I was playing with the idea of taking the ferry to St Georges and then getting a bus back to the Dockyard (that way you would travel from one end of the island to the other).   Changed my mind only because I had a new pair of sandals that decided to do a bit of a number on my feet the day before....  but if you got the pass (or a book of 15 tickets) you could go almost anywhere by ferry and bus.

• Thanks 1

We always use the transportation passes when in Bermuda.We have cruised there 6 times and stayed there twice. Buses are very easy to use and you can download a map of the different routes. School children and commuters use the buses so you will want to plan not to cut your time too close during peak times. Seems like the driver stops at every block sometimes and the bus will pass you by if fully loaded. But...during non-peak times its a great way to see the island and get around. If you are unsure where your stop is,  politely ask the driver when you board and they will announce your stop. Otherwise, you pull the buzzer cord when you want to get off.  BTW, the drivers expect you to say "good morning" etc when you board. The bus stops are pink or blue poles depending which direction you are going in.  We only have used the card passes but there are tokens available as well. We buy passes at the transportation center at the Dockyard. If you are planning to go to St George first in the NCL ferry, you used to be able to buy passes and tokens at the post office in St George. Tip: It takes longer to get around Bermuda than you think it will. There are lots of scooters with inexperienced drivers.  Ferries are super easy to use. I love to sit up top in the open but if its cool, you will get quite chilly from the breeze. 

• Thanks 1

I've used the buses, but make sure you have plenty of extra time, especially if it's a work day. On our last trip we took a ferry out to St George's, did a walking tour with a guide who got on the ferry, and then took the shuttle down to Tobacco Bay. I'm considering the same on the next trip because Tobacco Bay is such shallow water, it makes it very kid-friendly.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your informative answers. I really appreciate your time.  I didn't think about the school kids, etc also using the buses.  I guess I need to research their school schedules as well. AlluraUni, do you remember the name of the walking tour guide you used?  

Dear 64FlipFlops,

Do you Research and well.

Buying the day(s) pass is great for the Ferries and/or buses. Buying on North Ireland Island where mopst cruise sips are moored is usually in two places. Once you leave the ship and/or near the Ferry Terminal.

Bermuda (Somers Isles) to me is the best island greoup in the world. Golf is at a heaven level especially if you get your T-Times reserved  well in advance.

Must - See sites are like food making/baking ..a personal choice.

I do think once your to it your coming back again and again.

So do your research now and have plan a, b, c, d, and more to have a choice.

Give kind greeting to all you come in contact with. Kindness is repaid 1000 fold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, milford_cruiser said:

Can you only buy the passes once you arrive?  I thought I read somewhere (yes, very helpful info) that you can buy them onboard ship.  We'll be on the Anthem at the end of July - anyone bought transportation passes onboard?

My recollection is that they are only sold in Bermuda, on a booth on the pier.  Cash only?  Does someone remember? 

21 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

My recollection is that they are only sold in Bermuda, on a booth on the pier.  Cash only?  Does someone remember? 

They take Visa and MasterCard. The booth is between the piers at the Dockyard. They sell tokens and one or two day transportation passes. They also sell the passes and tokens at the Visitor Information Center near the ferries. Photo of current setup from June 2019. I don’t know if they will continue this when the new Kings Wharf  terminal building is complete. They used to sell them from the Terminal Buildings but can’t from Kings Wharf as the terminal building is being rebuilt. I don’t know if they still sell them inside the Heritage Wharf Terminal Building. 

1AFA55E9-6743-4B5C-89C3-F675DEF1E09E.jpeg

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

I seem to remember 2 booths. Glad to hear they take credit cards now as they used to take cash only...a cousin complained they were caught off guard by that.

This booth and the Visitor Information Center near to the ferry dock. There used to sell tickets at the Terminal Buildings on each dock. A new one on Kings Wharf is under construction. I don’t know if they will sell tickets there again when it opens. And I don’t know if they still them at the Heritage Wharf Terminal Building. The booth in the picture does not look that sturdy to me. Anthem and Escape use Heritage Wharf. Maybe someone who has been on those this year can recall if they still sell them at the  Heritage Wharf Terminal Building. 

Edited by Charles4515