Car Rental Question

Lady Lucy

We were planning to rent a car at the Fort Lauderdale airport and return it at the Miami airport, but the price difference to return it to a different location is huge.  I thought that in Florida that wasn't the case.  Am I missing something or just misinformed?  Thank you so much for your help.

43 minutes ago, Lady Lucy said:

We were planning to rent a car at the Fort Lauderdale airport and return it at the Miami airport, but the price difference to return it to a different location is huge.  I thought that in Florida that wasn't the case.  Am I missing something or just misinformed?  Thank you so much for your help.

Which rental companies are you looking at?  

Our fav is Budget....which has return facilities at both MIA and a few blocks from POM.

There are also some nice booking codes for all rental agencies at http://www.mousesavers.com .

Finally, are you planning on a lot of sightseeing in southern Florida or mostly shopping, restaurants, hotel type trips?  If the latter I strongly recomment Uber or Lyft which relieves newcomers from the brutal traffic of the area.

it is an urban myth that Florida prohibits 'drop off fees'

many times there are no extra fees for picking up at one location and dropping at another but there is no law agin it . . .

Thank you both so much.  Good advice.  Especially, thank you for the rental car codes.  We're planning to drive down to the Keys, otherwise we would use the Uber as you suggested.  Great idea otherwise and we'll probably do that on our next trip.

Thanks again!

Make sure whatever search engine you are using includes "off brand" rental car companies such as Sixt, Fox and E-Z. They actually have a bit lower "taxes and fees" for out of state customers than those with Florida DLs. 

E-Z Rent a Car is usually the lowest priced company (when booking through a reseller such as rentalcars.com) that is onsite at both FLL and MIA. Sixt and Fox are both offsite from FLL but their shuttles run every few minutes; Sixt is onsite at MIA, Fox offsite. All are just as reliable as the big boys--just examine the cars very carefully and take pics of any pre-existing dings. And make sure the vehicle has all the features you want before you drive off; at Sixt many of their economy cars do not have cruise control.