Recommendations on Trip Insurance

johnjrval424

I have looked at several policies through insuremytrip.com and have done a search on this board but I would like to get opinions as to whether one policy is better than the other.

I believe in researching to the nth degree and plan to do so. However, even though you can be very diligent, it never fails that a time comes to file a claim and suddenly, "that's not covered" becomes the standard response. :mad:

Can anyone give me some recommendations? Thanks!

I found my policy through InsureMyTrip.Com. The one I purchased was Travel Safe Vacation Insurance. The nice thing about that coverage is they have a "cancel for ANY reason" supplement that you can add on. So, even if you change your mind at the last minute (I think they require 2 days notice before trip) for an uncovered reason, you get 70% back. Much better than the 0% you get back from other providers if cancelling for a non "valid" reason. Also, this coverage was right in line price wise with other coverages.

My husband and I are too in the market for travel insurance. The main reason we need it is his job requires a lot of travel, sometimes last minute. We would hate to have our trip in Jan 07 booked and paid for and then he find out a couple of weeks before that he must go out of town for work. He works for a small company and while they can try not to book jobs when employees have vacation planned, it sometimes cannot be helped. We need to find coverage that would include that as a valid cancellation.

BTW - I just love this board...everyone is awesome! Thanks in advance!

We are also using TravelEx Travel Plus. One thing that my TA pointed out when selecting the level of medical coverage you want, it's tempting to take the lower amount, which is like $50k, but in reality, if you have to be flown out in a medical emergency, that won't touch it. That wasn't something I'd thought about before. The Travelex plus vs the lite is only like $20 more per person (at our cruise cost anyway).

How much does an emergency evacuation cost? I thought it was between 10-20 thousand. I was thinking 50k coverage would be adequate, no?

Oh no, no. 50K would be a starting point. it often runs over 100K or more depending on the where and when etc.

It is the chief reason I get insurance and with the highest coverage I can find .

I just got off of a call with insuremytrip.com and I asked the rep how much an evac typically costs. She told me it runs between 25k-45k.

I only know what my TA told me, i'm totally clueless otherwise. That being said, when I called the customer service at insuremytrip.com about how pregnancy is treated as far as pre-existing is concerned, she told me that pregnancy is specifically excluded from any benefit on any of the plans listed. This isn't correct according to the agent at Travelex.

• 2 weeks later...

Is Travelsafe the only one that provides the "cancel for any reason" rider that you know of?

I'm hedging on booking a cruise because one of our dogs had been in ill health. His disease has finally been properly diagnosed, we've finally found the right drug to manage it, and he's doing well but, if we had a setback we'd have to cancel to take care of him.

I'm guessing the "any reason" coverage is the only hope I'd have of recouping some of my costs should the unexpected happen with him, right? I'm assuming that pet illness doesn't rank as a valid insurance claim in general.

Appreciate any help you can give.

Pet illness won't qualify under any plan that I know of, so yes, you need an 'any reason' rider. In that case, the least costly plan may, stress may, be the cruiseline plan. Most of them offer a 90% any reason rider at no extra cost, where the independant plans cover this at extra cost. Note that cruise insurance is a credit on a future cruise, however, not cash, in such a case.

Pet illness won't qualify under any plan that I know of, so yes, you need an 'any reason' rider. In that case, the least costly plan may, stress may, be the cruiseline plan. Most of them offer a 90% any reason rider at no extra cost, where the independant plans cover this at extra cost. Note that cruise insurance is a credit on a future cruise, however, not cash, in such a case.

Royal Caribbean will give you 75% credit for a future cruise. Princess also gives you 75%, but you can upgrade to their Platinum plan and get 90% (the upgrade is free once you are a Platinum CC member). I don't know about any other lines, not having cruised them.

We usually buy the cruiselines' insurance for that reason - we're healthy and have great medical coverage (that includes travel abroad & medevac), but we have some parents and cats that are getting older (the parents might be covered if not a pre-existing condition, but the cats wouldn't), plus I sometimes have job crises that might interfere (although I've been able to duck that so far).

Archived