FDR on CNBC

On 5/30/2019 at 1:59 PM, GA Dave said:

I have to add my two cents on your statement about the younger people struggling financially.  I think this is a notion that the media has pushed that is not based on fact.  I have two "children", 29 and 27.  Both are professionals (similar to me) who make much more money now than I ever dreamed of at their age, both have excellent saving habits, and both are able to take many more vacations than my DW and I could afford, even today.  My employees at work who are millennials are also able to travel on cruises, to Europe and Asia, etc. like I never was able to at their ages.

I think too many times the media is showing us the younger people who take out tens of thousands of dollars in loans for a degree that is obsolete, instead of showing us these STEM grads that are making six figures at or very shortly after graduation.

Just my two cents.

I've pointed out the same thing to people in the Virgin Voyages forum who are miffed that the marketing is aimed towards Millennials, with the explicit sentiment being that they can't afford to cruise anyway.

At some point the term 'millennial' has drifted to mean 'anyone under 25', when in reality it's a generation that spans 20 years. Many millennials are hitting their peak earning years, already have kids, own a home (or homes), etc. That's to say nothing of the STEM employees entering the market at six figures out of college.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem with the economy, or that a whole generation didn't get massively screwed over on college ... just that it's facetious (or self-delusional) to pretend only older Generation X and Baby Boomers can afford to cruise when most Millennials are walking around with, for example, a couple of thousand dollars' worth of technology on them. Billion-dollar companies don't stay in business by marketing to a demographic with no buying power.

Edited by perditax
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, mugtech said:

It is impossible to get any NCL price two years before sailing in Asia.  I doubt the price I quoted for May, 2021, will be decreasing any time soon.  What is an honest price?

that is true and think about it; there might be a good reason for that. Try booking a hotel that far in advance. NO way and I have a clue what I am talking about. I am retired from a very large hotel reservation center. I don't know of many things that have prices posted 2 years in advance, airlines, cars, or whatever. Ok, it is nice RCI does but again, most do not. 

As for the ships that are inferior in your opinion, though not having enough open viewing because of additional suites, though I may not agree, that is a legit complaint. We all judge based on personal likes and dislikes. 

3 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

that is true and think about it; there might be a good reason for that. Try booking a hotel that far in advance. NO way and I have a clue what I am talking about. I am retired from a very large hotel reservation center. I don't know of many things that have prices posted 2 years in advance, airlines, cars, or whatever. Ok, it is nice RCI does but again, most do not. 

As for the ships that are inferior in your opinion, though not having enough open viewing because of additional suites, though I may not agree, that is a legit complaint. We all judge based on personal likes and dislikes. 

Good points.  Yes, but I am an early booker for a cruise.  The best time to book is when the cruise is announced, because you can pick you cabin.  On one occasion, I wanted to book a specific type of cabin (only a few on the ship) and a week after the cruise was announced, those cabins were gone.

I have noticed that NCL tends to announce its cruises later than Celebrity or Royal C.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Good points.  Yes, but I am an early booker for a cruise.  The best time to book is when the cruise is announced, because you can pick you cabin.  On one occasion, I wanted to book a specific type of cabin (only a few on the ship) and a week after the cruise was announced, those cabins were gone.

I have noticed that NCL tends to announce its cruises later than Celebrity or Royal C.

I can buy that one as for booking as soon as dates are available. I still do not think it is necessary for any line nor is it maybe a good idea to open up reservations quite that far in advance. too many "what ifs" involved. 

On 5/31/2019 at 7:09 AM, mugtech said:

Was only speaking for myself.  Right now I can book a 15 day trans Pacific cruise on RCCL Ovation in May of 2021 inside for $780 pp including taxes and port fees.  Often NCL Asia cruises are not available until 13 months before the sailing date.  NCL prices on inferior ships, Dawn and Spirit, are much higher.

Price on RCI website went up $50 to $830.  No hurry to book airlines and hotels until 6 to 11 months before sailing.