Chances of getting upgraded?

JanetScho

If you want an upgrade you´ll have to pay for it in the meantime.

Nobody knows how free upgrades work. I don´t say they are not existant but they are very very very very rare. That´s why people here call it a visit from the upgrade fairy.

I think it´s just the luck of the draw to get one. So the best advice is to book what you are happy with.

If you want to pay for the upgrade you can do this upfront at the regular published rate. If there are upgrades available at the day of sailing they will be sold by the pier coordinator. You have to ask for it. For this you should be there as early as possible on sailing day, as it´s first come first serve.

I'm not sure about that. 3 out our last 5 cruises we have been upgraded, the last one to a mini-suite on a Med cruise. We use a local travel agent who specializes in cruises so maybe that helps?

The only advice I can give is to book a specific cabin as early as possible and pay in full as early as possible too. Thats what we have done.

It does happen...

NB.

On our cruise to Alaska last year on Princess I had planned the trip a year in advance. It was for our 20th anniversary so I dont know if that played into this or not. We had a suite and we were upgraded to the Penthouse suite. We did use a TA but I dont think that had anything to do with it. ON this cruise on RCI we were booked in an Owners suite and we were called to see if we wanted to upgrade for free to the Royal Family suite. We declined. So not sure what brings the Upgrade fairy just happy when it happens. By the way the cruise to Alaska was only our third cruise and our first on Princess.

Sometimes your TA will take it upon themselves to upgrade if the price of the cruise goes down.... Instead of loosing commissions (price diff), they will put you in a better cabin.

A GOOD TA will always watch prices for clients. If the price changes they can do one of a couple things.

*Not say anything and take the chance you do not find out the price dropped.

*Tell you and give you the option of upgrading or getting a refund. (Most clients will want the refund) More money to spend on the cruise. Be sides what if you do not want the location the upgraded cabin is at. I always ask......

*Or just upgrade you and you think that you are one of the special guests.

We had booked a corner aft balcony when we got upgraded to the mini-suite, so I guess if people consider that bilge then your tastes are much more "refined" than mine are.

Anyway, I think our TA had a lot to do with it seeing as all she does is book cruises and nothing else.

NB.

It seems like the people who get the upgrades are those who have already paid the big bucks for the very nice suites anyway, and/or travel- cruise a lot and the TA and cruise line likes to keep them as happy as possible... has anyone ever been upgraded from deck 3 or 4? I booked directly with RCCL- I bet that we won't be upgraded, even if I begged...:D

I just completed cruise 17 with RCCL. Some booked with a local TA, Some with RCCL direct and one with on-line agent.

We have never received an upgrade.

We booked all standard categories of rooms and once a Jr suite. We once had an outside guarantee – an you guessed it – got a cabin on deck 2 way in the front.

What are we doing wrong?

Marci

I think you guys are on to something with the "Paid in full" thing--we paid in full early also and got upgraded from a Jr. Suite to the Grand suite...

Nope, the paid in full has nothing to do with it. We have made payments on both cruises we got upgraded for spread out over several months.

My husband and I got upgraded to a suite on our first cruise. That got us hooked immediately. Ever since then we've been in itty bitty cabins ( and with kids!) but we're still hooked. I'm almost glad we don't have a balcony with all of them along - I'd probably be a nervous wreck.

2 cruises, 1 upgrade. Seems to be that 1) the ship has to have upgrade rooms available and 2) you are a return customer. On our last trip on Radiance, not only were we upgraded, but our two sets of tablemates at dinner also were upgraded.

Seems rare, but great when it happens.

Well I´ve been upgraded once out of all my cruises and it was not my first RCCL cruise, though I think they really planned what they did. They upgraded me from a balcony to JS and from there on I haven´t been back to anything lower than JS. ( At least until my next cruise where everything was booked in the Suite range already - Still looking if something may become avail.).

Well I´ve been upgraded once out of all my cruises and it was not my first RCCL cruise, though I think they really planned what they did. They upgraded me from a balcony to JS and from there on I haven´t been back to anything lower than JS. ( At least until my next cruise where everything was booked in the Suite range already - Still looking if something may become avail.).

They really know how to hook us. On our first RCCL cruise, we had booked a JS, but when we got to the dock, there was an OS available for little money. We took it, and have not cruised in anything smaller since. RCCL certainly knows how to get my money!!

Rick

Archived