Golden Princess reviews?

sandseeker3

1 hour ago, sandseeker3 said:

Going on my first cruise to Alaska on the Golden Princess and looking for some good reviews with lots of pictures.  Any recommendations or tips on the Golden?  Thanks in advance.  

This is a great one.  It was posted on here but I can't seem to find it now.  She has it on her blog too though.  Warning, I spit out my coffee while reading this for the first time.  She'll have you laughing so hard. https://profcruise.com/golden-princess-ship-review/

Also be sure to sign up for your roll call group.  

This thread is helpful to 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, relmondcrsise said:

This is a great one.  It was posted on here but I can't seem to find it now.  She has it on her blog too though.  Warning, I spit out my coffee while reading this for the first time.  She'll have you laughing so hard. https://profcruise.com/golden-princess-ship-review/

Thank goodness I wasn't drinking coffee or I would have done the same thing!  Love her sense of humor and writing and tons of great photos of the ship and food and information.  Thanks for directing me to it!  Keep them coming.  Getting so excited!  I'm going to look for my roll call now.  Thanks for the tip on that.

In another post you indicated you went to Sitka on a cruise although this one indicates your first cruise to Alaska? Maybe I misread the post.

We just returned from 14 nights on the Golden. Unless you are going on a small ship cruise, there is no better itinerary than what the Golden provided. Hubbard Glacier, College Fjord and two times at Glacier Bay. Just exceptional. We would do it again on the Golden with the same itinerary.

As for the ship, it’s old and will be turned over to P&O next year. The cabin furnishing are the same we experienced on Princess 10 years ago. There were multiple leaks throughout the ship from the ceilings. During a show, water began pouring out of a light fixture drenching the people below it. The water then proceeded to drain from two other light fixtures.

The Crown Grill was excellent although we found most of the food hit and miss in the main dining rooms and the buffet with only brief glimpses of anything exceptional. The burger place, Trident grill, was probably the most consistent with pretty good burgers. Late afternoons they sometimes served different items. One day between 4pm-6pm they served Tracy’s Crab Shack crab cakes. They were wonderful. On a different day they would serve fish tacos and then between 6pm-9pm they served pork, chicken, spare ribs and wings. It was a nice alternative for something quick and easy.

We were on the golden to Alaska. Loved it. Didn’t see any water leaking anywhere and no smells people complain of. Had the best cabin steward we ever had. We are going cak on gold in October Melbourne to Fiji!

3 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

In another post you indicated you went to Sitka on a cruise although this one indicates your first cruise to Alaska? Maybe I misread the post.

We just returned from 14 nights on the Golden. Unless you are going on a small ship cruise, there is no better itinerary than what the Golden provided. Hubbard Glacier, College Fjord and two times at Glacier Bay. Just exceptional. We would do it again on the Golden with the same itinerary.

As for the ship, it’s old and will be turned over to P&O next year. The cabin furnishing are the same we experienced on Princess 10 years ago. There were multiple leaks throughout the ship from the ceilings. During a show, water began pouring out of a light fixture drenching the people below it. The water then proceeded to drain from two other light fixtures.

The Crown Grill was excellent although we found most of the food hit and miss in the main dining rooms and the buffet with only brief glimpses of anything exceptional. The burger place, Trident grill, was probably the most consistent with pretty good burgers. Late afternoons they sometimes served different items. One day between 4pm-6pm they served Tracy’s Crab Shack crab cakes. They were wonderful. On a different day they would serve fish tacos and then between 6pm-9pm they served pork, chicken, spare ribs and wings. It was a nice alternative for something quick and easy.

We definitely chose this one for the itinerary and not the ship.  We've done Alaska before, but this one offers several new ports for us.  Sorry if my original post was confusing.  We've never been on the Golden.  I've heard other negative things about the Golden, but the water leaking sounds bad.  I hope we don't have to deal with any of that.  Thanks for the tips about the food.  I don't usually book the speciality restaurants, but I'll check out the grill for sure.  Is the Crab Shack complimentary?  

Just now, Pati said:

We were on the golden to Alaska. Loved it. Didn’t see any water leaking anywhere and no smells people complain of. Had the best cabin steward we ever had. We are going cak on gold in October Melbourne to Fiji!

That's good to hear!  I'm choosing to be optimistic about the ship and know Alaska will be amazing even if they ship is on the older side.

3 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Yes, the crab shack was complimentary, and delicious.  We didn't notice any smells and the ship overall is very well kept. The customer service was very good.

Wonderful, thanks for sharing your experience.

On 6/5/2019 at 4:33 AM, sandseeker3 said:

We definitely chose this one for the itinerary and not the ship.  We've done Alaska before, but this one offers several new ports for us.  Sorry if my original post was confusing.  We've never been on the Golden.  I've heard other negative things about the Golden, but the water leaking sounds bad.  I hope we don't have to deal with any of that.  Thanks for the tips about the food.  I don't usually book the speciality restaurants, but I'll check out the grill for sure.  Is the Crab Shack complimentary?  

We were on this cruise too, and the water leak happened one night it was fixed overnight, they are an extremely friendly crew on board this ship, best we have come across and the food in the dining room was good, loved Alaska and loved deck 7 and 8 to walk around is an ideal spot when you go to the glaciers.  She is a nice size ship, we had an obstructed view cabin steward was fantastic, beds comfortable.  

On June 6, 2019 at 6:13 AM, subaru94 said:

We were on this cruise too, and the water leak happened one night it was fixed overnight, they are an extremely friendly crew on board this ship, best we have come across and the food in the dining room was good, loved Alaska and loved deck 7 and 8 to walk around is an ideal spot when you go to the glaciers.  She is a nice size ship, we had an obstructed view cabin steward was fantastic, beds comfortable.  

Thanks for sharing your experience!  I'm looking forward to the food and service.  And of course the views!  

On 6/4/2019 at 1:52 PM, Glaciers said:

Yes, the crab shack was complimentary, and delicious.  We didn't notice any smells and the ship overall is very well kept. The customer service was very good.

Are you certain the  Crab Shack was complimentary ?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

This is not the specialty restaurant Crab Shack.  This is just crab cakes during short periods of time at Trident Grill on deck 14, 4pm-6pm on one day per week. The crab cakes were complimentary. The venue was temporarily billed at Tracy's Crab Shack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glaciers said:

This is not the specialty restaurant Crab Shack.  This is just crab cakes during short periods of time at Trident Grill on deck 14, 4pm-6pm on one day per week. The crab cakes were complimentary. The venue was temporarily billed at Tracy's Crab Shack.

Thank you for clarifying.  Do you recall if it was listed in the Patter, or did you just stumble upon it?  Not something I want to miss.

We'll be aboard the Golden later this month. I've seen folks post photos of the menus, any chance someone has recent photos of the daily schedule? I've never cruised on Princess and I'm trying to get a feel for what they offer. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, galaxyglue said:

We'll be aboard the Golden later this month. I've seen folks post photos of the menus, any chance someone has recent photos of the daily schedule? I've never cruised on Princess and I'm trying to get a feel for what they offer. 

I'd love to see these too if anyone has them!

• 4 weeks later...

On the June 8, 2019 sailing:

Captain - Gavin Pears

Hotel General Manager - Carlo Gunetti

Cruise Director - Corey Moir

I’d been working on a trip report, but since I’ve been sick after the end of the cruise, had been talking myself out of finishing it. Will try to get something done soon, in case it might be of any help. 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newcruise12 said:

On the June 8, 2019 sailing:

Captain - Gavin Pears

Hotel General Manager - Carlo Gunetti

Cruise Director - Corey Moir

I’d been working on a trip report, but since I’ve been sick after the end of the cruise, had been talking myself out of finishing it. Will try to get something done soon, in case it might be of any help. 😀

I hope you feel better and can finish your trip report!  I would love to read it.

13 hours ago, Kimahri said:

Does Princess have you show vaccination records when boarding the ship? or do I just need to show my passport

We just returned from the Golden Princess in Alaska and we did not need to show our vaccination records.  In fact I have been on many cruises all over the world and traveled many places and I have never been asked for vaccination records.