Newbie to NCL Help Please

DnA2010

Hi All,

We have 5 cruises under our belt (2 RCCL, 1 Disney, 1 HAL, 1 Princess) and I have been considering NCL, given the free perks that seem to be offered all the time…

Our travel party is myself, hubby, Daughters 15 and 2 (won’t sail till she is 3 and can check out the clubs)

I am a bit overwhelmed with figuring out the perks, extra passengers sail free, airfare etc. I also see there is a big thread for bidding on better rooms..is there strategy there in booking a lower room, and then getting to bid to upgrade?

NCL for dummies help please 🙂 

The downside to bidding and hoping to win an upgrade, is that you get no say in your room. If location is important to you (close to elevators, not directly above/below a restaurant or bar, not an obstructed view, etc) then don't rely on the bidding system. You get the leftover rooms that no one else bought outright.

If you don't mind those nuances and would welcome getting a better room at a sometimes bargain price, go for it. I've never had luck with the bidding, but others have scored great deals.

As for the deals/perks... price it out with what is important to you and see what is best. Again, if you don't care much about picking a specific room, others have claimed the sail away rates are better - but they have no perks. For your situation, definitely price it out for everyone with the free passenger perk. We went to the Mediterranean last May and brought my MIL with us for an extra $350. That was it. She didn't believe us that the cruise was the same price for 2 or 3 people (minus the extra $350 for taxes & port fees). If you've got a family going, that is definitely a good perk to use.

15 minutes ago, DnA2010 said:

I am a bit overwhelmed with figuring out the perks, extra passengers sail free, airfare etc. I also see there is a big thread for bidding on better rooms..is there strategy there in booking a lower room, and then getting to bid to upgrade?

Okay, if you are overwhelmed with NCL, I suggest contacting your TA or getting a TA. 3rd and 4th passengers sail free is only available on select sailings, and are typically the sailings not in high peak seasons. You still have to pay taxes for the 3rd and 4th guests with the promotion. 

I mean, I'm sure there are some people that do book a lower category and then bid in hopes - but by no means are every bid accepted. And if you're sailing at a popular time very few might be. So if you really want a certain category or would be very unhappy in a lower category - don't book the lower category!!

Also for bidding you can only bid up 2 categories. So insides can't bid above a balcony and ocean view can't bid above mini-suites. 

Also, the perks are only for the first 2 passengers. Obviously not a big deal with the drink package, but if you picked the dining package only you and your husband would get it. I think airfare is only for the first two guests as well, but I'm not sure. 

48 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I think airfare is only for the first two guests as well, but I'm not sure. 

Yes, the free/reduced airfare only covers the first two guests, the third and fourth guests are not covered. 

On 6/5/2019 at 4:10 PM, Sailing12Away said:

If location is important to you (close to elevators, not directly above/below a restaurant or bar, not an obstructed view, etc) then don't rely on the bidding system.

Thanks for the reply. We don't care about locations so not really a big deal for us. 

On 6/5/2019 at 4:10 PM, Sailing12Away said:

For your situation, definitely price it out for everyone with the free passenger perk.

Thank you, I will def keep this in mind. 

On 6/5/2019 at 4:12 PM, jbethel11 said:

I suggest contacting your TA or getting a TA.

Thanks, haven't used TA's much, but will def think about it

On 6/5/2019 at 4:36 PM, smplybcause said:

Also for bidding you can only bid up 2 categories. So insides can't bid above a balcony and ocean view can't bid above mini-suites. 

Good to know, thanks. Do you still keep any perks from booking- aka drink package etc? 

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:25 PM, jbethel11 said:

Yes, the free/reduced airfare only covers the first two guests, the third and fourth guests are not covered. 

The 3rd and 4th guests are not covered but if they are on the same reservation you can still get them booked on the same flight.  When I called about my flight perk from Detroit Metro to Orlando the price for the first two guests was $99 each and the 3rd/4th guests was $299.  It comes with all the transfers as well.  There is a $25 extra fee if you want to book a flight that does not leave the same day as the cruise does and you do not get a transfer.