Clothing for cruise to Canada

Jeffrey1950

Only three weeks left until the 30th. of June cruise from New York and I still cannot make up my mind what clothing to bring. Just how much warm clothing do I need? By the way I am curious for one person how many suitcases do you usually take on a seven day cruise? I know it depends on each person as to how much they pack but what is the amount you find yourself taking.

For Cunard cruises we take 4 large checked bags for two adults. Then there’s the carry on each. We enjoy Cunard’s more formal take on voyages. The gowns  for the balls, the masks for the masquerade..........so....much......fun......... 

However, if one preferred they could stay up deck in the buffet with more casual attire. There is no right or wrong as long as one follows the rules. Just enjoy the experience. 

During the day it depends on where you want to be on the ship in terms of clothes. You certainly won’t need a parka. I typically wear sleeveless or shortsleeved shirts with linen pants regardless of season during the day.  Grab a sweater and scarf , good for almost all situations.   I bring an LLBean gortex jacket to accommodate the extremes should they occur. 

Happy sailing!  

I sail now every year on Cunard but this will be my first time to Canada and thus being my concern about the weather. Last time out of 13 days I only ate in the main dining room 3 times and ate in Kings Court the rest of the time. Someone made a very good comment to me...why would you eat all your meals there when you have paid all that money to be served. This time round I will eat in the MDR. I have been to Canada a couple of times on a different cruise line and the weather was good but it was a little more into Summer. Well, regardless I am counting the days down and then Transatlantic in Sept. Life is good …...

For our December crossings we usually have a large roller (larger than carry on size) each and a suit bag for the tuxes. 

We're on the same June 30th trip and also just came back from a week on Cape Cod and Boston. Generally it was about 10 degrees cooler (60s-70s) than Philadelphia. I'm planning on cooler summer Temps, and will have a light windbreaker and a light Polartec vest, to layer, if needed. 

Phil

Early July in Canada? Are you talking about the cruise that goes to NY, Boston and Bar Harbor as well?  Mostly warm weather clothing: chances are good that it will be hot, and hotter and more humid in NY and Boston. Check the seasonal average temperatures.

But you can also run into rain, wind a cool temperatures, so you'll need another layer or two in reserve. My backup cold weather gear that I take most of the time is a fleece pullover (jumper), a sleeveless insulated vest, and a hooded windbreaker. Those layers worn together will keep you comfortable in almost anything except a blizzard, and a blizzard is not going to happen in July, not even in Canada.

How many suitcases? One: a carry on. Mix and match everything, including a carefully curated collection of lightweight separates that make three respectable formal night outfits.   OK, flame me ... 🤣

8 hours ago, Seenie said:

How many suitcases? One: a carry on. Mix and match everything, including a carefully curated collection of lightweight separates that make three respectable formal night outfits.   OK, flame me ... 🤣

Sounds perfectly sensible to me!  When I do work trips I can manage a week from my (extendible) carry on, and that’s with a mixture of smart and casual clothing.  Obviously for work it’s the reverse of Cunard and I am smart in the day and casual at night!

I always end up taking far too many clothes when I do holidays instead of work trips though ...