Help me Decide

n8botting

I know, I know first world problems here...already booked on the Escape for Jan 2021 from Orlando -> Dominican Republic, Tortola, St. Thomas, and Great Stirup Cay, we have been to Tortola, St. Thomas, and Great stirup cay on previous cruises, and are going to those three island in Feb 2020. For a couple hundred dollars more we could Fly to San Juan and go to Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire,  St. Kitts, and St. Lucia. The A,B,C islands would be new to us, and we have always wanted to see those islands, however it's on the Epic and lets just say the Epic doesn't have the greatest of reputations. The "couple" hundred dollars would increase as we would fly into San Juan a day early and would need a hotel (Note: We are also flying into Orlando a day early and will also need a hotel). Out of the NCL ships we have sailed, the Escape is my favorite. What are your honest thoughts on the Epic and the Itinerary?

Thanks 

Depends what's more important to you: Ship or itinerary.

In this particular case, I would jump on that Epic cruise.  She's the only ship I've ever sailed twice, and would do it again in a heartbeat.  That, combined with brand new islands for you....to me it's an easy choice.

That said, if you loved the Escape, and don't mind revisiting places you've already been, you can't go wrong.  But for me? I"d go Epic, for sure.  The main two complaints are the bathrooms (they don't bother me even a little, but others obviously feel differently), and the lack of connection to the sea.  I can see the second one being an issue if you spend a lot of time on the Waterfront in the Escape and away-class ships, but I honestly never noticed until someone brought it up.  

And now I'm off to look at that cruise out of San Juan you just mentioned.  I really do love that ship, and I've never been to those islands, either...

• Like 1

I'd have to go with the Epic for the itinerary. We're doing an 11 day out of San Juan in January. We love the Southern Caribbean. As long as the ship has a pool and a few hot tubs we'll be happy. And while it's a little pricier to get to, San Juan is amazing. 

• Like 1

I'd do Epic too. I'm booked for Feb 2021 on the Encore. First time on a big ship and in a studio cabin but the itinerary looks amazing and includes the ABC islands which I have always wanted to see. I don't care to go back to islands I've already done so itinerary is always more important than ship for me. Have fun choosing!

• Like 1

Do the Epic. We are doing the same itinerary in February. You will only have one sea day (and a morning/afternoon), so it's not as if you will have a lot of free time to worry too much about the ship. We love sailing out of Puerto Rico and going somewhere besides the same ports (even though we really like some of them). 

If you are looking for a decent, basic hotel in San Juan, try the Best Western Palm Condado. It isn't fancy, but it's clean and in a good location for last-minute supplies, restaurants, and the beach. If you call the hotel, you can get an even more discounted rate (we're staying for about $170/night next year).

• Like 1

I wanted to go on the Cruise sailing out of San Juan for that itinerary but went for a different cruise on a different ship because we had already been on the Epic the year before.  The Epic always gets mixed reviews but I like it personally.  It just came down to the variety factor and wanting to try a different ship.  I think we are also going to do the same Eastern Caribbean itinerary in 2021 but on the Bliss. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, n8botting said:

The A,B,C islands would be new to us, and we have always wanted to see those islands, however it's on the Epic and lets just say the Epic doesn't have the greatest of reputations. 

Thanks 

Don't believe everything you hear. The worst thing I heard about the EPIC recently was one person that refused to sail NCL again because it took them a half an hour to figure out how to operate the lights in their cabin. Some people just can't be pleased no matter what you do and they go off and write bad reviews.

I am going on the 11 day southern Caribbean cruise on the EPIC and looking forward to it. The time you have on vacation is mostly what you make of it.

• Like 1