Newbies to Princess

FlyingAnchor

Greetings! 

My mother will be sailing on the Island Princess this summer. This is her very first cruise. (We traditionally sail on Celebrity and have never sailed on Princess ourselves). 

Two questions I'd love to answer for her:

1. Are there blowdryers in every stateroom and would Princess allow her to bring her own onboard?
  2. My mother is concerned about sea sickness. Do they sell the motion sickness bands in the gift shop onboard? If so, does anyone know how much they might cost? I've tried explaining to her that she'll pay a significant markup over off-shore prices! 

Thank you, everyone! 

8 minutes ago, s5cmh170 said:

Greetings! 

My mother will be sailing on the Island Princess this summer. This is her very first cruise. (We traditionally sail on Celebrity and have never sailed on Princess ourselves). 

1. Are there blowdryers in every stateroom and would Princess allow her to bring her own onboard?
  2. My mother is concerned about sea sickness. Do they sell the motion sickness bands in the gift shop onboard? If so, does anyone know how much they might cost? I've tried explaining to her that she'll pay a significant markup over off-shore prices! 

Thank you, everyone! 

There are blow dryers in every room but many report they aren't exactly high powered so they take their own. Be aware that if you take your own blow dryer it will not work in the bathroom. You can use it in the main cabin however. Also be aware there are extremely limited power plugs in the cabin so you might want to take a multi-plug adapter or an extension cord. DO NOT take a power strip that has surge protection as it will likely be confiscated. A power strip that isn't surge protected is fine.

They likely sell motion sickness bands onboard but I would strongly suggest that, if one is going to be needed, you purchase it elsewhere in advance. I don't know what they would cost onboard but I have purchased basic medical items such as cough syrup, band aids, and anti-diarrhea medication onboard and it is stupidly expensive. If you think you will need something for motion sickness just get it in advance and pack it in your luggage.

Edited by Thrak

Just now, Thrak said:

If you think you will need something for motion sickness just get it in advance and pack it in your luggage.

Thank you. This is what I recommended to her after having needed to purchase similar items for myself in a pinch on our own cruises. Contact lens solution...in the onboard gift shop...is an onboard credit eater. LOL! I'll pass all of this info along to her. 

10 minutes ago, s5cmh170 said:

Greetings! 

Thank you, everyone! 

Yes, blow dryers in every cabin, not super strong if you have long thick hair. You can bring your own if you want.

Bring any sea sick meds and bands from home. Pills like Bonnine and bands are available everywhere, CVS, Walmart, etc. Behind the ear patches require a prescription. They do sell sea sick meds on board, but they are expensive and most important the store may not be open when you require them. I think they also sell the wrist bands. You have to take sea sick meds as soon as you feel motion. They are preventative not curative. What I do is carry generic bonnine chewable tabs. As soon as I feel motion I take one. It's one tablet/day, max two/day.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

The ship is like a hotel so yes there are blow dryers on board.

I have long thick hair and have no trouble using the ones that are on board.

It is always best to prevent seasickness by either taking meds or using sea bands before you feel ill!

It is much harder to feel better once the sea sickness starts!

IF your mom easily gets carsick then she is likely to get seasick.

IF she doesn't easily get car sick then she will probably feel just fine on the ship.