Snorkle Gear

mbuckles071

If memory serves from several ships in the past it's good for kids but if your trying to outfit adults I'd just look on amazon and pick up something there.  I like the snorkel packs that come in a bag.  You can find sets that have the fins, mask and snorkel plus a bacf on amazon for $30-50 and it's perfectly fine for a trip out.  For the bag if you get one large enough you can normally just take that off the ship and it'll hold a water bottle and towel plus a couple items so if your not a pack rat you might get away with only taking that bag :-)  I'm sure it'd cost more on the ship. I think more than that I plan space in my bags for bringing things back and snorkel gear can take up a good amount of space, so if you buy it on board you might run into space issues later.  Anyway don't over think snorkel gear too much, every mask will fog and ever snorkel will get water in it some less than others but not so much less that you should spend twice as much or anything 🙂

Edited by YellowTJ

If you plan on buying snorkel equipment to keep for future trips, don't buy a cheapo mask and you want a dry snorkel. Plenty of online diver supplies, including Amazon. If you want a fitted mask, you will have to go to a dive shop. I have bought really good snorkel online and have no leakage issues.

Go to Costco they sell a complete kit in a box for a fraction of the others and if it’s doesn't make it through the trip you can return it. 

I have ave many sets from there with the mask/snorkel/flippers. 

Enjoy!! 

6 hours ago, YellowTJ said:

If memory serves from several ships in the past it's good for kids but if your trying to outfit adults I'd just look on amazon and pick up something there.  I like the snorkel packs that come in a bag.  You can find sets that have the fins, mask and snorkel plus a bacf on amazon for $30-50 and it's perfectly fine for a trip out.  For the bag if you get one large enough you can normally just take that off the ship and it'll hold a water bottle and towel plus a couple items so if your not a pack rat you might get away with only taking that bag 🙂 I'm sure it'd cost more on the ship. I think more than that I plan space in my bags for bringing things back and snorkel gear can take up a good amount of space, so if you buy it on board you might run into space issues later.  Anyway don't over think snorkel gear too much, every mask will fog and ever snorkel will get water in it some less than others but not so much less that you should spend twice as much or anything 🙂

About the fogging, I learned a trick on one of my snorkeling excursions. Take a little bit of liquid soap (body wash from the cabin is fine) and rub it on the inside of the lens. Then rinse it with water (dont rub it off, just let the water run over it). It makes a HUGE difference! 

I like to buy my snorkel stuff on Amazon since there are more choices, color options, sizes, etc. My husband and I have different preferences so it's nice to pick and choose what we want. 

16 hours ago, SeaScout said:

When searching for snorkel gear, don't forget the single most important item. a snorkel Vest.  it can save your life and in many places is required. 

Image result for snorkel vest

Required by the tour operators, or required by the local authorities?  I tried some Google searches, but other than a bunch of forums saying "you should have one, it is required in a lot of places", the only place specifically mentioned was a resort in Cozumel, IIRC.  Any info is appreciated - for a future cruise we have booked we want to snorkel in Bonaire (probably on an excursion), for example.

If I'm on a snorkel tour excursion I would assume they would supply all the equipment including any required vests, though we'd probably bring our own fins, masks and snorkel because we bought some for casual snorkeling at Grand Turk and other "near the beach goof off areas".

I would agree that they are close-to-vital to folks who will snorkel all day long and/or aren't good swimmers.  But last time we snorkeled (the aforementioned Grand Turk beach), I couldn't dive down very much, because one hand was busy holding a GoPro, and I couldn't help but float back up - a snorkel vest would have made it nigh impossible to get any depth.

I guess my manatee-like body shape is good for something after all...

51 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Required by the tour operators, or required by the local authorities? 

I have snorkeled all over, and have never used a vest.  The only time is when I have been on excursions that require them, and then the vests were provided for us.

1 hour ago, cruisin*tigger said:

I have snorkeled all over, and have never used a vest.  The only time is when I have been on excursions that require them, and then the vests were provided for us.

you did if you were on a shore excursion, even though I am a certified advanced open water diver, vest have been mandatory on every snorkeling trip. Obviously, you can snorkel on your own without a vest. My son ran snorkel trips out of St. Thomas and you were not getting in the water without a vest.

When we snorkeled on an excursion in Grand Turk we were offered vests but we did not use them.  Same thing on excursions  in Grand Cayman and Freeport and an AI resort Jamaica.  When I snorkel, I want the freedom to dive down the the reef to explore and take pictures.  

Folks, I'm not going to argue whether anyone wears a vest or not.  it's your life, do as you wish.  I always wear a vest, (and yes I can dive down just fine). I started wearing a vest after an incident.  We were snorkeling from shore in somewhat shallow water. I looked up and realized I was a good hundred yards from shore due to a current.  I had a heck of a time swimming against the current to get back to shore.  Sucked in a couple of mouths full of salt water, and had a cramp in my leg by the time I reached water shallow enough to stand up in. It was a close call.   I always wear my vest now because the thought of drowning while on vacation doesn't sit well with me.  So wear one if you want, don't wear one if you want. Your choice.  Mine was cheap (about $20), it packs easily and I don't have to wear those dirty, ill fitting vests that the excursions provide. A vest is cheap insurance. Death from drowning can really put a damper on your cruise.  

11 hours ago, coevan said:

you did if you were on a shore excursion, even though I am a certified advanced open water diver, vest have been mandatory on every snorkeling trip. Obviously, you can snorkel on your own without a vest. My son ran snorkel trips out of St. Thomas and you were not getting in the water without a vest.

When we snorkeled in Roatan, it was not required. They had a couple available if you wanted one, but they were just the blow up pfd's.

If you plan to keep the equipment I'd suggest a visit to a local dive show. Most have reasonably priced masks and snorkels for snorkeling. A good shop will take the time to make sure the mask fits your face properly.