Excursions for traveler with Celiac Disease

Elovesme99

for an excursion that lasts 7-8 hours away from the ship, has anyone with Celiac Disease done any, and has NCL accommodated them by letting them take any safe food with them?  This would be in Cozumel, Honduras, or Costa Maya

The problem won't be NCL - it'll be the ports your stopping at. They're the ones in control. I know Cozumel is particularly strict and they often have dogs to sniff out food on cruise passengers. 

Your best bet to actually be able to take it off shop is prepackaged manufacturer sealed food. And you probably need to bring it on board when you embark because about the only thing I remember still seeing in the manufacturer container is cereal and yogurt. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/16/2019 at 5:49 PM, smplybcause said:

The problem won't be NCL - it'll be the ports your stopping at. They're the ones in control. I know Cozumel is particularly strict and they often have dogs to sniff out food on cruise passengers. 

Your best bet to actually be able to take it off shop is prepackaged manufacturer sealed food. And you probably need to bring it on board when you embark because about the only thing I remember still seeing in the manufacturer container is cereal and yogurt. 

Thank you so much for the feedback.   We will probably limit the excursions timing so she can eat safely on the ship.  Better safe (and full) than sorry!

On 6/16/2019 at 4:40 PM, Elovesme99 said:

for an excursion that lasts 7-8 hours away from the ship, has anyone with Celiac Disease done any, and has NCL accommodated them by letting them take any safe food with them?  This would be in Cozumel, Honduras, or Costa Maya

You can definitely find food to eat in Cozumel and likely Costa Maya. Depending on where you are going in Roatan will determine what you can eat there.

However, when I am not sure I bring packages of Oberto beef jerky ( Oberto Beef Jerky from Amazon ) and energy/snack bars like Quest, Kind, etc. or oatmeal bars like Bobos, Enjoy Life, etc.

The fruit sniffing dog in Cozumel has sniffed my snacks multiple times without issue and I've never had issue bringing it into any ports.

Edited by NightOne