Amsterdam arrival suggestions - Anne Frank House and other visits

We will be arriving by air into Schiphol on a Saturday morning at 7:30 AM. Our tickets for the Anne Frank House are at 11:15 to 11:30 AM arrival. Currently our plan is to clear immigration, pick up the luggage and then transfer to our hotel. After checking in and dropping off luggage we will make our way to the House.

• Have we given ourselves enough time to make our appointment? 
  • Could we take a bus or train to the hotel and have enough time?  or should we just plan on a taxi for efficiency?
  • How long should we expect to spend at the House? - We were unable to secure tickets for the introductory talk, so we'll just tour the House.

Afterwards we will have the rest of the afternoon to spend. The next day we check in to our river cruise, but no tours are planned - it is just the official travel day. The third day is the planned canal cruise offered by the cruise ship and then we depart Amsterdam.

• Should we purchase a museum card, (any suggestion?) or just purchase a la carte?

Any thoughts you have to make the most of our time in Amsterdam will be appreciated.

20 minutes ago, Maddle said:

We will be arriving by air into Schiphol on a Saturday morning at 7:30 AM. Our tickets for the Anne Frank House are at 11:15 to 11:30 AM arrival. Currently our plan is to clear immigration, pick up the luggage and then transfer to our hotel. After checking in and dropping off luggage we will make our way to the House.

• Have we given ourselves enough time to make our appointment? 
  • Could we take a bus or train to the hotel and have enough time?  or should we just plan on a taxi for efficiency?
  • How long should we expect to spend at the House? - We were unable to secure tickets for the introductory talk, so we'll just tour the House.

Afterwards we will have the rest of the afternoon to spend. The next day we check in to our river cruise, but no tours are planned - it is just the official travel day. The third day is the planned canal cruise offered by the cruise ship and then we depart Amsterdam.

• Should we purchase a museum card, (any suggestion?) or just purchase a la carte?

Any thoughts you have to make the most of our time in Amsterdam will be appreciated.

You haven't said what hotel you are staying at. That information will likely make a difference in the responses.

I wouldn't buy the museum card, you can spend a whole day at the Reijksmuseum.   Another fun thing to do is the Heinekin Brewery Tour, your entrance fee also includes 2 beers on the tour or soda if you don't imbibe.    I hope you are awake enough for your House tour on your landing day.....I think you are trying to squeeze a lot in.

Thanks for the responses. We're starting at Kimpton de Witt Amsterdam, not too far from the center station.

I agree, I think we're packing in a lot for the first day, but we can not technically check in to hotel until mid-afternoon. I really want to see the Anne Frank House. I figured do that first, then figure out the others. 

In the course of the two days, I would like to see some of the art museums and perhaps a ride out to Zaanse Schans. The question is how to organize the visits. 

Time should be no problem on the arrival day. Your hotel is not far from AF house. You can take a tram or walk. Plan to be at AF house about 15 minutes before your fixed time entrance.

Depending how you feel at arrival you can decide to take train to Centraal, walk or take a cab from there. Of course a cab from the airport is more expensive (Uber also is possible), more convenient.

Check the museums you want to visit and check what is better for you, single tickets or card.

To Zaanse Schans take a train or bus, no tour needed. Just walk around, pay a fee when entering a windmill. Donot forget to taste cheese, see how klompen are made.https://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/

Enjoy

Thanks. I think we'll be okay with the 11:15 reservation at the AF House. I am thinking we will walk - to help us stay awake. (My travel partner wanted an even earlier time, but that seemed to stressful for me.)

Could we do Zaanse Schans that same afternoon? or would that be too tight? Would that be better the next morning before we board the river cruise ship?

Is there one museum you would recommend right after the AF House for a logical itinerary?

The ship itinerary has the first day of our cruise as the arrival day, so we can just putter around that day too. They will probably serve a light lunch in the lounge and Dinner that evening. There might be a gathering with the cruise director to welcome us and give any last minute information. We're arriving a day early because of air fare, and I would like to make the most of our extra time (especially since I convinced my travel partner it was a good idea to go early.)

Maybe you havce jetlag and want to rest that afternoon. But if you want to do more.....

How about a visit with audio tour  to the Royal Palace on Dam, also close to your hotel. Check if it is open on that day.https://www.paleisamsterdam.nl/en/

It is doable to visit Zaanse Schans that afternoon. TRainride from Centraal is less then 20 minutes. Walk station Zaanse Schans is about another 10 minutes. You can walk around and visit different items for as long as you want. There at least 2 trains every hour, on weekdays often even 4 trains each hour. Also or take busnr. 391, from Centraal, that ride takes 40 minutes.

Unfortunately due construction the Westerkerk is closed for visitors.

Other not that wellkown musea in the area are:

Amsterdam historical museum: https://www.paleisamsterdam.nl/en/

Grachtenhuis Museum: http://www.hetgrachtenhuis.nl/en/

Cromhouthuis: https://www.cromhouthuis.nl/en

On Dam, but of course not a real museum, Madame Tussaud: https://www.madametussauds.com/amsterdam/nl

a little further out is Allard Pierson Museum: https://www.madametussauds.com/amsterdam/nl

But then maybe you can take a bit easy and make a canalcruise for about 1 hour. Around Centraal Station you have various option.

Thank you Ine, the Palace is a wonderful idea, and should be close by.

According to the website, the Palace is open on our arrival day, and tickets are available to purchase. Do you recommend advance purchase, or can we wait until that day? We will be there on the second weekend in August.

51 minutes ago, Maddle said:

Thank you Ine, the Palace is a wonderful idea, and should be close by.

According to the website, the Palace is open on our arrival day, and tickets are available to purchase. Do you recommend advance purchase, or can we wait until that day? We will be there on the second weekend in August.

You can wait till the day itself without problem. Just watch the time they close.

Edited by Ine