SF vs LA for Mexican Riviera

GenghisQuan

On 6/29/2019 at 11:05 AM, GenghisQuan said:

Clearly you do expect expect the cruise line to do much more than provide you with transportation, food, and board.

Clearly you don't know much about those cruise lines.

Returning to the OP's question.  I've done both (San Francisco - 10 day) and (Los Angeles both 7 & 10 day) variations with Princess.  Of the 3 choices, my far away favorite is the 10 day sail from Los Angeles and it comes down to one particular port of call - LORETO.  Princess do not (or at least have not in my recent experience) called here from San Francisco, only from Los Angeles.

Loreto is absolutely my favorite port on the west coast of Mexico, a very small town on the inside coast of baja.  Clean, easy to navigate a real joy.  I'd do that 10 day'er any time, in fact I AM, in October.

I tend to agree with those who suggested roughest water between Cabo & Los Angeles, but every sailing is different.  We did the 10 day from San Francisco in February and the entire sail up the coast was basically as glassy as a lake. 

2 hours ago, jondfk said:

I tend to agree with those who suggested roughest water between Cabo & Los Angeles, but every sailing is different.  We did the 10 day from San Francisco in February and the entire sail up the coast was basically as glassy as a lake. 

Is it the waters between Cabo and LA, or between LA and SF as seems to be implied by other posts?

8 hours ago, GenghisQuan said:

Is it the waters between Cabo and LA, or between LA and SF as seems to be implied by other posts?

My experience with roughness is between Cabo and San Diego, northbound. Not terrible, but noticeable. 

We've done the 10 day Mexican out of SF as it is easier for us; we live in Reno and take Amtrak over and we enjoy sea days.  We've also done the 10 day out of San Pedro also taking Amtrak.  We are both retired so the extra time taking the train doesn't bother us,.  I really liked the one from San Pedro because it went up into the Sea of Cortez to Loreto (lovely small town) and La Paz (snorkeled with whale sharks) but still went to Cabo (could do without) and PV (day at Las Caletas is always fun).  On the other hand, I also enjoyed Mazatlan and Manzanillo on the SF itinerary.