Joy vs Bliss

OK cruisers... I really need help.  I'm looking at a Panama Canal cruise... I pulled up the Joy and the Bliss.... the Joy is 15 days (Bliss is 16 days).   The Bliss is a little over $1700 more??  For one more day????  What am I missing here (comparable rooms).  Pros and Cons of one ship verses the other also, please.  These are both Ocean to Ocean, starting and ending in ports (LA to Maimi)

I haven't been on the Joy yet (going in August) but it does not have the option of Thermal Suites or cabins that include that as part of the fare.  The Bliss does.  

I bet other folks who have been on both ships will chime in.  

MD

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2019 at 11:26 AM, Iworktocruiseandtravel said:

OK cruisers... I really need help.  I'm looking at a Panama Canal cruise... I pulled up the Joy and the Bliss.... the Joy is 15 days (Bliss is 16 days).   The Bliss is a little over $1700 more??  For one more day????  What am I missing here (comparable rooms).  Pros and Cons of one ship verses the other also, please.  These are both Ocean to Ocean, starting and ending in ports (LA to Maimi)

Supply and demand.

The ships are sisters and with the recent cosmetic surgery on the Joy, they are near twins.

The Bliss is a year younger, which would command a small premium. 

I was wondering about this myself. Aside from the obvious differences (American Diner vs Margaritaville, etc) are there any other less well known differences? I thought I read that the Observation Lounge on the Joy was smaller than the Bliss. 

I was just on the Joy. I haven’t been on the Bliss, but I can say the observation deck was very large on the Joy. 

Unless you you are diehard thermal suite people, I can’t imagine spending that much more for the Bliss. They are both mega ships that are very much alike and all the good and bad that come with that. 

If you are planning on seeing the original canal you may be disappointed, the larger ships can only traverse the new locks. So, a little research to find a ship that will go through the original locks would be in order.

We went through the original on the Jade and it was amazing to see what had been done with early 20th century equipment and technology.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:34 AM, SouthLyonCruiser said:

If you are planning on seeing the original canal you may be disappointed, the larger ships can only traverse the new locks. So, a little research to find a ship that will go through the original locks would be in order.

We went through the original on the Jade and it was amazing to see what had been done with early 20th century equipment and technology.

Thanks!!!  I didn't even consider a smaller ship, but now I will.  I'm sure it's a big difference/experience between the original and new locks!!

On 6/25/2019 at 5:34 AM, SouthLyonCruiser said:

Which ships still go through the old locks?

20 hours ago, Fastman said:

Which ships still go through the old locks?

I would check with your travel agent. They would be more likely to get straight answer from NCL. If you call NCL you may get the wrong answer and the person who gives it to you wont be working there if you call back.

• Like 1