Pride of America Review: June 14-23, 2019

I can't figure out why some reviews say there are no porters at pier 2 yet others say there are plenty?  I'm so used to getting out of the taxi, seeing a bell cap almost immediately, handing him $5 per bag and that's that.   Someone who just posted a review of POA sailing a couple of weeks ago said there were plenty of porters at the pier. Maybe it depends what time you show up?

19 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

I can't figure out why some reviews say there are no porters at pier 2 yet others say there are plenty?  I'm so used to getting out of the taxi, seeing a bell cap almost immediately, handing him $5 per bag and that's that.   Someone who just posted a review of POA sailing a couple of weeks ago said there were plenty of porters at the pier. Maybe it depends what time you show up?

I'm sure that timing has a lot to do with the porter situation.  There were empty luggage racks outside of the terminal, so perhaps the porters are only there to handle the initial rush?  The lack of porter's wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be; all we needed to do is walk to the end of the right side of the terminal and drop our bags on the conveyor to be scanned.  Took about 2 minutes.

On 7/7/2019 at 7:46 PM, sue402001 said:

Do you remember what time the first tender was when you got to Kona? If so, were there taxi's waiting to take people where they needed to go? Thanks CruisinKristin!

The 1st tenders start leaving around 7:00 AM for those without tinder tickets.   The ticketed tenders start around 7:45 and go fairly quickly.

Yes, there were taxi's at the pier as well as people selling excursions.  Everything is right beside the large Banyon tree near the pier, can't miss it.

On 6/30/2019 at 8:28 PM, Jetswdo said:

None there on Saturday 6/29. Walked inside building and into a room where we placed the bags right on the belt. 

5 hours ago, CruzinKristin said:

The 1st tenders start leaving around 7:00 AM for those without tinder tickets.   The ticketed tenders start around 7:45 and go fairly quickly.

Yes, there were taxi's at the pier as well as people selling excursions.  Everything is right beside the large Banyon tree near the pier, can't miss it.

Thank you so much!

On the day the ship leaves, what time were you able to board? I know, I'm full of questions. 😉

Edited by sue402001

20 hours ago, paul18222 said:

Kristin,

When and how did you book your excursion ?

Paul

Paul,

I booked everything online either from Viator or Shore Excursions Group.  I started booking things 2-3 months in advance, but probably would have started earlier if I had booked my trip sooner - just my personal preference.   I rarely ever book excursions through the ship (too expensive) and have never had any issues where have felt unsafe or was worried that we would not make it back on time.

On 7/9/2019 at 6:51 PM, sue402001 said:

Thank you so much!

On the day the ship leaves, what time were you able to board? I know, I'm full of questions. 😉

Sue,

We were late boarding due to transportation problems.  According to the dailies, most things open up around 11:30, so I am assuming that general boarding starts around 11?

Thank you so much for your review.  I think we are on the same DFW - HNL flight you had. Since this is a once in a lifetime cruise, I did splurge for First Class.  I can then cross Hawaii and flying First Class off my bucket list.  I do have a question.  I also have the Journey to Waimea River and Fern Grotto booked through Roberts.  My reservation info shows that the tour is from 8:30 am to noon.  We need to be at the ABC store for a 1:30 pm pick up for Wings over Kauai.  You mentioned that you got back to the  ship around 1:45 pm.  I am hoping you stopped somewhere and were off the tour by noon.  Or perhaps our times are different than yours.  Do you think we can make the 1:30 pm pick up?  Thank you again!

8 hours ago, tpnebraska said:

Thank you so much for your review.  I think we are on the same DFW - HNL flight you had. Since this is a once in a lifetime cruise, I did splurge for First Class.  I can then cross Hawaii and flying First Class off my bucket list.  I do have a question.  I also have the Journey to Waimea River and Fern Grotto booked through Roberts.  My reservation info shows that the tour is from 8:30 am to noon.  We need to be at the ABC store for a 1:30 pm pick up for Wings over Kauai.  You mentioned that you got back to the  ship around 1:45 pm.  I am hoping you stopped somewhere and were off the tour by noon.  Or perhaps our times are different than yours.  Do you think we can make the 1:30 pm pick up?  Thank you again!

Ohhhhhhh, I am so jealous you will get to fly in those awesome lay flat seats! 

I'm not sure about your excursion.  We did the Journey to Waimea Canyon, not the river cruise. I would probably call Roberts to get some advise from them.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

1 hour ago, Cindy said:

Thanks for sharing! We’re booked for POA in April, so I’m reading everything I can find, especially about tours.

If you are like me,  and do not care for big tours (riding on a motor coach) stay away from Roberts or ship sponsored tours.  I noticed that all of their tours were were 100 + people on motor coaches.  We did get lucky on the tour we took with them in Maui and it was just us and another couple on a mini bus.  This was the exception and not the norm from what I observed.

I HIGHLY recommend Mauka Makai Adventures on the Big Island.  Give Josh a call, you will have a great time with him.

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CruzinKristin said:

If you are like me,  and do not care for big tours (riding on a motor coach) stay away from Roberts or ship sponsored tours.  I noticed that all of their tours were were 100 + people on motor coaches.  We did get lucky on the tour we took with them in Maui and it was just us and another couple on a mini bus.  This was the exception and not the norm from what I observed.

I HIGHLY recommend Mauka Makai Adventures on the Big Island.  Give Josh a call, you will have a great time with him.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks! I had e-mailed Robert’s about the size of their vehicles, and as soon as I saw the word coach I crossed them off my list! I’ve booked with Mauka Makai for both days on the big island, and I’m using private options for Day 2 in Maui and Day 1 in Kauai so I can avoid large groups, as well as have control over who our guide is, where we stop, and what we bypass. It’s costly, but in my opinion it’s money well spent!

Edited by Cindy

Yes, there are free shuttle buses at Maui to get you to the airport car rental agencies. I plan on using this in <9 days myself 🙂

As for the brewery, the Kona one is literally a 5 minute (or less) walk from the pier. Again, I plan on stopping there in ~9 days myself 🙂