Alaska Native Art and such

klfrodo

Up here in Anchorage for work.

In an office next door I ran into a gentleman who was painting. I got to talking to him and he does his own painting and prints and sculptures.

Been doing this since the 50's. Sometimes he has shows.

I was telling him that when I travel around the world, I would like to get some local art and such but that I'm skeptical of it's authenticity. Is it truely local or is it a knockoff.

He was telling me that for around here, he and his friends show and sell at the Alaska Native Heritage Center here in Anchorage. He said knockoffs are not allowed.

So, if your interested in some authentic Alaska native art, check it out if you ever get up here. I've commissioned him for a piece of art this winter when things slow down for him.

https://www.alaskanative.net/visit/

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 9:55 AM, AKStafford said:

Yep, the Alaska Native Heritage Center is a great place. Another place in Anchorage to authentic artwork is the gift shop at the Alaska Native Medical Center on Tudor.

https://anmc.org/patients-visitors/craft-shop/

+1 on the Medical Center.  We just visited it.  Try to time your visit when the shop that sells First Nation art work.  The have wonderful stuff, the prices are fair and you are supporting the efforts of the Medical Center.  We bought some stuff when we were there.  They do have very limited hours however.  Also, they do not accept credit cards -just cash or checks.

DON

On 6/28/2019 at 12:55 PM, AKStafford said:

Yep, the Alaska Native Heritage Center is a great place. Another place in Anchorage to authentic artwork is the gift shop at the Alaska Native Medical Center on Tudor.

https://anmc.org/patients-visitors/craft-shop/

I've visited the Alaska Native Heritage Center and the artwork they have there is wonderful. Any recommendations for places that have similar authentic Alaska native art for sale in Juneau, Skagway or Ketchikan? Thanks!  

7 minutes ago, sunlover757 said:

I've visited the Alaska Native Heritage Center and the artwork they have there is wonderful. Any recommendations for places that have similar authentic Alaska native art for sale in Juneau, Skagway or Ketchikan? Thanks!  

In Juneau consider the Sealaska Heritage Institute and its store.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jr8934 said:

Leaving in 6 days. What is the address of the Sealaska Heritage Institute?

I suggest that you go onto Google and try typing "sea alaska heritage institute" and clicking on the very first hit.

DON