Earth and Ocean

CCKelly

We will be on Ovation this September, and this is our first cruise on the "large" ships.   We have our dinner reservation for TK grill, but wondering about Earth and Ocean, no reservations needed or accepted?   Do you just show up at whatever time you like (just like the Restaurant)?  Are they open every night even in cool or rainy weather?

Also, wondering about the Sushi restaurant, is this for lunch only, or lunch and dinner?   Is it strictly Sushi at dinnertime or other small plate items also available? 

Thanks for your help.

No reservations taken for  Earth and Ocean, first come first served (you’ll find a discussion about it on this board back on April 15 (I tried to cut and paste the link but it comes up with this

The big problem with Earth and Ocean on the Ovation ( as we found recently) the heaters were put around the wrong pool, the small pool on Deck 5 instead of the main pool on Deck 9.(we were told that this will be rectified at the first refit.

So on a cool evening you’ll need to rug up.

I agree that the Earth and Ocean seating area needs a LOT more heaters!  There are more heaters down the sides of the pool deck where table and chairs are placed, but that area is not as protected as the area closer to the pool bar and can be windy.  There was only one heater in the close in area and it only helped out at one of the tables.  If you didn't get a seat at that table, chances are that you would be too cold in cold weather---even dressed in layers.  

See below for a sample Sushi evening menu from  June 2019.  They also do a Kaiseki 8 course dinner once during the cruise.  First come, first seated.  It was wonderful.

re: Earth and Ocean.... I stated on another thread that "In my opinion" the food in this venue is most most exciting and innovative on the ship, and that it is a shame to hold it hostage to the weather.  When I spoke to the F&B manager about this, he said that Encore has been quipped with heaters, and the same will be done on Ovation.  We were on a Norway/North Cape cruise, so eating out there was not really inviting for us except for two nights out of 15. I could have eaten there every night if I didn't have to wear a parka to do so.

Kaiseki menu.JPG

sample Sushi menu June 2020.jpg

2 comments, both based on our experience on the Ovation this past February: Don't plan on getting to Shushi too late, e.g. within 10-15 minutes of closing as they were very strict about the 8:45 cutoff and literally would not take any more orders past 8:45.  Second we ate at Earth and Ocean several times, but never did the get there as soon as they open routine as we do not like to dine that early.  Rather we arrived between 8 and 8:20 and either had a small wait at the Patio Bar or were seated immediately.  

On 6/27/2019 at 10:34 PM, CCKelly said:

We will be on Ovation this September, and this is our first cruise on the "large" ships.   We have our dinner reservation for TK grill,

Here is an insider tip not to be shared with anyone.  Do start out your evening with a drink at the TK bar (no reservations needed for the bar).  It is arguably the best bar on the 7 seas.

• Like 1

Thanks for the wonderful replies.  We are cruising around the north of Scotland, so the weather may be too cool for Earth and Ocean since not many heaters, but still we are hoping to try it!  And perhaps Sushi one night too or least for one lunch.  I am not sure I would like the Japanese dinner, however I have a feeling that the presentation would be exceptional and I would appreciate that.  

Good tip on the TK Grill bar, my understanding is that you can go to that bar regardless of whether you have dinner reservations there that night?

1 hour ago, CCKelly said:

Thanks for the wonderful replies.  We are cruising around the north of Scotland, so the weather may be too cool for Earth and Ocean since not many heaters, but still we are hoping to try it!  And perhaps Sushi one night too or least for one lunch.  I am not sure I would like the Japanese dinner, however I have a feeling that the presentation would be exceptional and I would appreciate that.  

Good tip on the TK Grill bar, my understanding is that you can go to that bar regardless of whether you have dinner reservations there that night?

Yes, that is right.  You can go to the TK Grill Bar every night--whether you have a dinner reservation in the Grill or not.  

On the Quest, Earth and Ocean was my favorite dining option by far.  Yes, it was full up early on, but since we dine fairly late, we were usually accommodated when we arrived after 8:00.  Really inventive cuisine.  And yes, heaters are needed on cold nights.

We must be the only ones disappointed with Earth & Ocean. We turned up at 7.30 and was told  we would have to wait for about 20 mins although there were empty tables. After 45 mins the barman from the Patio bar went to chase our table up and  we were then seated but when we tried to order the main coarse we had come for it was no longer available as had sold out. There are not many choices and to have run out that early I did not think acceptable.

Perhaps  will try it again on our next cruise.