First time on Marella for P&O regulars

Hi

My wife and I have been on a number of P&O cruises in recent years and are generally happy with the P&O offering.  We are currently considering a Celebration cruise from Dubrovnik in August this year.  We are aware of the size of the ship which is about half the size of the smallest P&O ship that we have been on.

Has anyone been on P&O and Celebration and can offer some comparisons?  Also does anyone have a link to a copy of Marella's onboard newspaper detailing the daily events (the equivalent of P&O's Horizon newspaper) so we can get an idea of life on board?

Finally I have read that the actual on board drinks menu (as part of basic A.I.) is likely to differ from the menu advertised online.  Can anyone expand on what these differences are and provide some examples if possible?

Thanks   

The standard free drinks package was certainly good enough for us. Life on board much the same on all cruise lines.

The one thing you will notice is that Marella Cruises are much less formal than P&O, something that suited us.

The one thing you may not like is the dress code in the MDR - shorts etc allowed, something we are not very happy about, but having said that it will not put us off Marella in the future. 

We like to fly to the sun, more days cruising in sunshine as opposed to the Bay of Biscay.

Think you will enjoy sailing out of Dubrovnik though.   The Celebration is a charming old ship, much liked by Marella/Thomson cruisers, we have sailed on her many times in the past and would do so again.

• Like 1

We haven’t been on Celebration only Explorer and Discovery. We really enjoyed it so much we have booked several more. We went on Britannia once. (We are probably biased as we didn’t enjoy it and wouldn’t sail P&O again) Comparing those 2, the cabins are less well appointed on Marella but nice enough. There are not the number of channels for example on the Tv.  Britannia had lots of really good movie channels and this was a blessing when we didn’t make it into guernsey because there really was nothing else to do. The balcony was just about big enough to put a chair on Britannia they are decent size on Marella ( don’t know if they have them though on Celebration) Food quality about the same on both. Service far better on Marella (there was a real language barrier on Britannia) .1 morning on Britannia we ordered the kedgeree which was the breakfast special of the day they brought a plate of fish curry and a bowl of rice! Entertainment is superb on Marella on Britannia it was abysmal. The entertainment staff really want to give you a good time. On Britannia I don’t think we saw any all week! The drinks package is really good on Marella we choose to upgrade because we like the bottega gold Prosecco for example but there really isn’t a need to if you don’t fancy there is so much choice. Another good thing about the cruise you are looking at is it’s bonded luggage. That is a big bonus! Hope you have a lovely time whatever you choose

• Like 1

We've picked up a port map from the excursion desk on each of our Discovery 1&2 cruises. Pick them up as you head off to eat also a newsletter is available by customer services. 

Can't help compare to P&O who my in laws love our other cruise was Princess.

Just returned from the Discovery 2 , having been on this ship two years ago and the Spirit which was the same type as the Celebration.

There was a cruise news on the Discovery  2 twice, which advertised the days entertainment,   restaurant times and some brief port of call info. 

I didnt notice it this year but my first time on discovery 2, destination services used to offer maps of the port of calls.  I’m sure I recall this on the spirit too.  Maybe they no longer offer these maps but I didn’t go looking for them this year as I did an excursion at every port.  I presume there will be a cruise news on celebration. 

Hi Tinsoldier, I'm sure you would like Marella.  They are similar in many ways to P&O, however you need to be aware that Celebration us a much older ship. Many people like it as it's more traditional, the staff are very friendly and the entertainment is very good.

• Like 1

The only real way you are going to know is to try it I am afraid.  We all experience things differently.  I have only sailed with Marella once (Discovery 2) and am unlikely to return. BUT - I know others who have moved over from P&O to Marella because they much prefer them.  It really is 'horses for courses'.

• Like 1