found on Britannia Cruise B917 jewellery in cabin safe

seapals2

Whilst onboard our recent Med cruise on Britannia I found some jewellery in our cabin safe that must have been left behind by a previous passenger.  We returned the lost property to reception who logged the jewellery and said it would be returned to Southampton head office for lost property.  

I have contacted them them since returning home but they are unable to tell me if the jewellery has been reunited with its owner.  We really hope it has but have been told if it’s not claimed then it will be sold and the money given to charity.  

I would have liked then to have made a considerable effort to trace trace the owner rather than just waiting for a claim.  As the jewellery was not discovered by the cabin steward before our arrival onboard there is no way of knowing if it was the cruise immediately before ours or a previous sailing.  

If if you are missing a personal item .. don’t give up hope.  Contact lost property again .. it might just have escaped being found until now.  

The office has said they will not contact me if its claimed nor return the item to me.  This goes against what we would have thought the normal procedure to be.  I so hope that it gets returned to its owner ... I would love a happy ending .. I would have been distraught had it happened to me and P&O had not made any effort to try and locate the owner.  They must have all the necessary data on passengers in that cabin and a simple email all that is required.  The person might be elderly and forgetful and assume it was just lost onboard. 

So ... always check the safe ... TWICE !!!! 

• Like 2

Shame on P and O for not doing that little bit extra which would probably make the people who forget their jewellery so happy and would probably recommend P and O for their helpfulness.

Strange world we are living in.

You did the right thing, of course, but P&O are doing the wrong thing. 

As you say, they have all the information needed to find the rightful owner (almost certainly one of the last two or three users of the safe in question) but are choosing not to - presumably because there are cost implications and it's cheaper not to bother. 

11 hours ago, seapals2 said:

Whilst onboard our recent Med cruise on Britannia I found some jewellery in our cabin safe that must have been left behind by a previous passenger.  We returned the lost property to reception who logged the jewellery and said it would be returned to Southampton head office for lost property.  

I have contacted them them since returning home but they are unable to tell me if the jewellery has been reunited with its owner.  We really hope it has but have been told if it’s not claimed then it will be sold and the money given to charity.  

I would have liked then to have made a considerable effort to trace trace the owner rather than just waiting for a claim.  As the jewellery was not discovered by the cabin steward before our arrival onboard there is no way of knowing if it was the cruise immediately before ours or a previous sailing.  

If if you are missing a personal item .. don’t give up hope.  Contact lost property again .. it might just have escaped being found until now.  

The office has said they will not contact me if its claimed nor return the item to me.  This goes against what we would have thought the normal procedure to be.  I so hope that it gets returned to its owner ... I would love a happy ending .. I would have been distraught had it happened to me and P&O had not made any effort to try and locate the owner.  They must have all the necessary data on passengers in that cabin and a simple email all that is required.  The person might be elderly and forgetful and assume it was just lost onboard. 

So ... always check the safe ... TWICE !!!! 

Intrigued , Was the safe door 'open' when you checked into your cabin ? just wondering, otherwise you would have needed a code to access . 

Kind of you to be so caring in delivering the found items to the front desk, shame on P&O for not keeping you in the loop.

A few years ago we left some jewellery and a wallet in our safe on a P and O cruise. We didn't miss this until we had a phone call from P and O asking if we had left anything behind... We had to pay £5.00 postage but we were reunited with our belongings. We now make sure we double and triple check the safe!

Yes .. the safe was open .. in fact open with the bolts out so we could not use it.  

We had to get an officer to reset before we could use it.  So even with all of this the jewellery was not discovered.  It was only when my bracelet slipped under the door rim that the additional items were found that were not mine.  

So easy to do ... will make sure we run fingers round the door when ever we leave the safe after use.  

Have emailed again ... but still have no response to say the owner has been found.  

When checking that the safe is empty,  I always run my fingers around the rim.  Some safes have a ledge inside at the front under which small items can become hidden.  I once found a ladies watch there.  I handed it in to reception and explained that it may have been left by the previous occupant of the cabin. A staff member took it from me but seemed disinterested, probably because it was the last day and they were busy.  I don't think the watch was of any great monetary value but it may have had great sentimental value to someone.