Patters from Southbound Island Princess Cruise, June 26-July 3

geoherb

Here are scans from my southbound cruise on the Island Princess from June 26 to July 3. I took the cruise back-to-back with the northbound one from June 19 to June 26. I posted Patters from that cruise in my live thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2672311-live-island-princess-to-alaska-and-back-june-19-july-3/

img026.jpg

img027.jpg

img028.jpg

img029.jpg

Edited by geoherb

Thank you so much, Geoherb, for posting your great trip report and the Southbound Patters. We are leaving later this summer for a Denali/Southbound Cruisetour on the Island, and this really helps to plan by telling us what kinds of things may be available to us (I know won't be exactly the same). Also gets us very excited!

One thing we are trying to figure out is dining the first day. We signed up for Traditional 7:15 seating. Looks like it will be 7:30 most nights (which is fine), but not on the first night. So we are thinking could be a good night to prebook a specialty restaurant, which we want to do anyway at some point.  Supposedly departure from Whittier is at 8:30pm, though your Patter said 7:45.  You had a muster drill at 7:45 as well.  We don't get in to Whittier on the train from Denali until about 5:30, if I understand it correctly.  That seems to allow very little time for dinner.  On top of that, per your Patter, the specialty restaurants don't open until 8 on the first day. Yet on my cruise, I can pre-book for 5:30 or 7:30 (or 9:30) for either Bayou or Sabatini's.  Anyone have any idea if this is an error, or if maybe the upcoming cruise would just have different times available?  Possibly an 8:30 muster (through how that fits with a 7:30 reservation, I don't know)?  If we are eating can we do the later muster?  I know we'll probably not know until we are there, but maybe someone has some experience.  Thanks! -John

The "All Aboard" at 7:45 is before the ship's departure at 8:30. The ship can't depart until everyone  has taken part in the "Guest Safety Assembly", otherwise known as the Muster Drill. Don't miss the first Guest Safety Assembly. People grumble about other people not showing up and having to wait for them. Think of the Late Embarking Guest Safety Assembly as a backup only if you really can't make the first one. If you don't attend either, they will disembark you from the ship before they sail away.

Don't know about when you can book specialty dining on the first night. You would think that Princess would have that correctly programmed, as it is not unusual. BTW: if you book the first seating at 8:00, they won't expect you there until about 10 minutes after the Muster Drill is over. Even if it ends late.

If you arrive Whittier at 5:30, transit to the Ship and check in, and drop your stuff off in your cabin. By then, it will be 6:30 at the earliest. Grab a snack and freshen up for dinner. Enjoy the Guest Safety Assembly, and then be off to dinner.

Edited by richmke

Thanks Richmke.  That makes sense.  I guess I'll hold off on the specially booking until we get aboard and work it out from there.  I know I don't want to eat at 9:30, and booking for 7:30 seems to be an issue with the first muster (I certainly don't want to be one of "those" people😊).  My last two cruises were river cruises and the muster drills were on the morning after the sail away. I always thought that was odd. -John

It is my impression from what I have learned on this Board that all passenger services, including dining, shuts down during the Muster Drill.  So, the time that you dine in the MDR will be determined by when you board the ship.  I will find out for myself on July 31st.

Yes, the dining rooms closed during the muster drill. Since I was on back-to-back cruises, I wasn't required to attend the muster drill in Whittier. But when I showed up at the dining room a little after 7, I was told to come back after the muster drill was over. It would have been nice to have had the exact time it would be closing before the muster drill noted on the Patter.

On the first night, people in suites get to have dinner in a specialty restaurant. According to one website, there are just 31 suites on the ship, so there should still be some availability. But I'd still rather have dinner in one of the main dining rooms. My choice nights for a specialty restaurant would be Saturday, since that's an anytime dining for all night, or Monday (Italian night menu in the dining room--my least favorite menu).

8 minutes ago, geoherb said:

Yes, the dining rooms closed during the muster drill. Since I was on back-to-back cruises, I wasn't required to attend the muster drill in Whittier. But when I showed up at the dining room a little after 7, I was told to come back after the muster drill was over. It would have been nice to have had the exact time it would be closing before the muster drill noted on the Patter.

On the first night, people in suites get to have dinner in a specialty restaurant. According to one website, there are just 31 suites on the ship, so there should still be some availability. But I'd still rather have dinner in one of the main dining rooms. My choice nights for a specialty restaurant would be Saturday, since that's an anytime dining for all night, or Monday (Italian night menu in the dining room--my least favorite menu).

What about dinner in the Horizon Court after the Muster Drill at Whittier?  Is the menu the same as before the Muster Drill or do they start the changeover to the later night menu?  

On 7/8/2019 at 10:42 PM, rkacruiser said:

What about dinner in the Horizon Court after the Muster Drill at Whittier?  Is the menu the same as before the Muster Drill or do they start the changeover to the later night menu?  

I'm not sure. I ate in the dining room that night and did not check out what was being offered in Horizon Court.