Wheelchair assisted boarding - Location

Tsdcruiser

If I get someone to push my wheelchair onto the ship, will I be going in the same entrance or some other entrance?  I really enjoy boarding the first time into the main lobby, it is exciting to start your cruise that way.  Not sure I would enjoy coming in at the entrance they usually use at port as much so hoping they take you up an elevator and you are able to enter the ship the same way as everyone else.

I have had it go both ways. In Fort Lauderdale, I went up the same ramp as all the other cruisers (no elevator). In Charleston, SC I used a different entry which was flat and then took an elevator to the floor of our cabin.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 8:47 AM, Tsdcruiser said:

Thank you both.  Guess I will have to wait and see.  

Or you could post the port! 

In South Carolina I remember starting down the same ramp but veering off.  In Halifax, iirc, the ramp is so steep I asked for a wheelchair. The steepness IOC course tides.  In Quebec they adjust the ramps but it can still be steep.  I remember seeing them lifting a man on his wheelchair up a different ramp.

in Baltimore I use the crew and tender entrance, loading too.  But they are set up to assist with getting you on there as this port is frequent with lots of scooters! 

I think It’s fun to get the champagne glass as you start your cruise, but that’s not on all cruises!  

The biggest nightmare is on NCL Epic and others of that class.  There aren’t enough elevators and people cut scooters off!  You end up working with another wheelchair to block that from happening and it still takes a few helpers.  My hubby gets me on then normally takes the stairs if the area is crowded.    

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak