When Cruises Go Wrong

Haworth

1 hour ago, Haworth said:

The above was aired in the UK last night, not surprisingly Viking Sky featured quite heavily in a rather sensationalised programe, details below.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/when-cruises-go-wrong

I wouldn't really put much store by what's aired on tv really.

The main thing that happens with loads of people is that they start 'believing' in the adverts for various things, including holidays and cruises.  One person's meat can be another person's poison, and silly though it sounds something really minor can spoil a holiday or cruise.  It's not a tangible item, so for instance if you buy a specific car in a specific colour and somehow something doesn't work, well it's a tangible item, so you can rightfully complain and get it put right.  

With cruising, there's the element of 'beauty is in the eye of the holder', and also one person may interpret what is put out in the advertisements in a particular way - and when the reality of the experience happens there can be disappointment or disapproval even.  To some extent maybe passengers need to be very even handed with how they interpret the experience of a cruise - and pick out the best bits to enjoy and remember, and learn from the 'poor' experiences (if any) and do what they can to mitigate having to go through the poor bit again.  

We always say that we believe strongly that it is up to us personally to do absolutely everything we can to ensure that we enjoy our holiday.  Not that we do so at the expense of others, there has to be some degree of making allowances; the only exception to this rule is the 'rule of the Captain'.  If the Captain cancels a port - well it's done for the best of reasons.

As to what may have been on the tv in the UK regarding worst cruises - it's aired for sensationalism and entertainment.  In reality, if the weather kicks up there's nothing anyone can do to prevent bad weather.  If however there's a mechanical failure - that's potentially the fault of the engineering department of a cruise line.  

Hi Haworth...fancy meeting you here! lol......   Have to say that I'm really going to have to bite my tongue if I see people being disrespectful or not paying attention during a safety drill at future cruises. I might just have to say something. I know I'll never be able to look at another one of those the same way....you too undoubtedly. 

Disappointing...took the time to register and then discovered this is only viewable in the UK....oh well....undoubtedly I've already seen most of the footage that pertains to the Sky anyway. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, johneb2 said:

I would love to see it also, but apparently it is limited to viewing in the UK only.   JohnEB2

You can sign up for a VPN service to attain a UK IP address, which will facilitate viewing.

On 7/11/2019 at 8:55 AM, Parsley Cruises said:

I wouldn't really put much store by what's aired on tv really.

The main thing that happens with loads of people is that they start 'believing' in the adverts for various things, including holidays and cruises.  One person's meat can be another person's poison, and silly though it sounds something really minor can spoil a holiday or cruise.  It's not a tangible item, so for instance if you buy a specific car in a specific colour and somehow something doesn't work, well it's a tangible item, so you can rightfully complain and get it put right.  

With cruising, there's the element of 'beauty is in the eye of the holder', and also one person may interpret what is put out in the advertisements in a particular way - and when the reality of the experience happens there can be disappointment or disapproval even.  To some extent maybe passengers need to be very even handed with how they interpret the experience of a cruise - and pick out the best bits to enjoy and remember, and learn from the 'poor' experiences (if any) and do what they can to mitigate having to go through the poor bit again.  

We always say that we believe strongly that it is up to us personally to do absolutely everything we can to ensure that we enjoy our holiday.  Not that we do so at the expense of others, there has to be some degree of making allowances; the only exception to this rule is the 'rule of the Captain'.  If the Captain cancels a port - well it's done for the best of reasons.

As to what may have been on the tv in the UK regarding worst cruises - it's aired for sensationalism and entertainment.  In reality, if the weather kicks up there's nothing anyone can do to prevent bad weather.  If however there's a mechanical failure - that's potentially the fault of the engineering department of a cruise line.  

What are you trying to say??? Passengers were airlifted off the Sky. It was real, dramatic and I’m sure frightening for those involved. There are questions about the captain’s bad judgement being out in bad weather. There are also issues with the maintenance of the ship. All that said, it has not put me off cruising and I will be on the Sky for a transatlantic crossing in 2020.

• Like 1

Parsley.....I, too, have to wonder....just what are you getting at? 

"As to what may have been on the tv in the UK regarding worst cruises - it's aired for sensationalism and entertainment.  In reality, if the weather kicks up there's nothing anyone can do to prevent bad weather.  If however there's a mechanical failure - that's potentially the fault of the engineering department of a cruise line"

These are easy thoughts to put here, and I will admit that some of the youtube videos were a bit less than accurate as to how things went on the Sky (I cite this example cause I was there); however, anyone who was "entertained" by watching coverage of the March 23 Sky event simply doesn't have a clue as to what it was like nor how 900+ passengers plus crew felt in the midst of a potentially disastrous situation. 

So passengers need to "learn from the poor experiences and do what they can to mitigate having to go through" a similar bad experience again?  All I can say is...I'm glad that most of the Sky passengers likely had no idea that we were within 100 meters of going into the rocks. I totally agree that much of TV is sensationalized for the viewing audience and that it may be difficult, if not impossible, to know when a story is exaggerated or overblown, but the Sky incident was well documented worldwide.

I'm just a bit confused by some of what you're saying, and as to the captain always doing things 'for the best possible reason', I'd like to think that's true but not absolutely certain that was the case on 3/23. Many unanswered questions (at least for the general public). I think some of your comments somewhat trivialize actual events and how they affect people involved in perilous voyages. I still have flashbacks from that day and likely always will. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon
  • Like 1