Best of Santorini - Shore Excursion

Big Foot

Hello, 

DH & I have just booked the following tour on our forthcoming cruise. 

Best of Santorini 

Ref: JTR_001  

The village of Oia is perched on top of Santorini’s caldera. Walk up the narrow, cobblestone lanes, passing the brilliantly whitewashed buildings and domed churches. There will be some free time to explore on your own. Coffee shops perched on the edge of the cliffs offer spectacular views of Fira and the volcano.

Next you’ll head to Panagia Episkopi Church is the oldest remaining Byzantine church on the island. Dating from the 11th century, it has withstood raids by pirates, earthquakes, volcano eruptions and a fire in 1915.

The rich volcanic soil in Santorini is particularly favourable to viniculture, and you will have a chance to enjoy a visit to one of the local wineries. The Assyritico grape, a rare white variety, is grown here and, after the tour, you are invited to sample several of the local wines and snacks.

Enjoy a traditional Greek lunch at a local tavern before travelling the island's highest point, the Mountain of Prophet Elijah, to admire the stunning views.

Your tour will end in Fira where you make your way back to the ship, using the cable car ticket provided

Has anyone done this tour before or know what we can expect in terms of a 'traditional Greek lunch'? 

The reason for asking is that I am a very plain eater & am concerned that I may not eat the food. 

I am not worried about the cost of the tour, but don't want to waste food / feel like I am insulting the waiters / their culture etc if I don't eat anything. 

Maybe we could arrange to skip the meal & meet up with the rest of the tour party once they've eaten. 

We had considered trying to negotiate getting to Oia by ourselves, but as there are 3 cruise ships in the day we dock, we felt it safer to go with a P&O excursion.

Thank you.

Joan

Oia is absolutely breathtaking, it has the most photographed church on the island in the main square. It is very hilly so not suitable for anyone with mobility issues. We did not have linch included but if you want to do your own thing I don’t think you will have a problem Fira will be very crowded with three ships in one your day, we were the only ship and that was busy enough. Be prepared to queue for the return cable car back down but the views are worth it.