Ordered gin from Princess - what about vermouth?

PaperSniper4

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

GAK! Princess has changed my Chairman of the Board. I don't mind the change in the brand of Gin but I can't understand why they added bitters. I'll likely forget they changed the recipe and be peeved when I taste the thing. Hopefully I will remember to order it without bitters. What a stupid change to a previously great drink.

image.png.840d78b067e506c0b0365cc486d909d0.png

If that's the price for that cocktail, even with the gin substitution, that's a good price for something that  sounds like a "call brand".  Or is the "10.00" the amount of liquor in ounces? <g>

10 hours ago, KreinKrunker said:

Not knowing how long your cruise is makes me wonder how many 375ml bottles of gin you ordered.  Since 8 oz is about 250ml, that seems like a lot of vermouth.  I only use about a 1/4 teaspoon of vermouth, to swish around the glass, and dump out any extra.  I agree with Thrak if there is no vermouth, or just put a picture of Vermouth next to the glass.

I suppose I am old school. My father passed on his recipe for making a martini when I was but a wee lad, about 50 years ago. It's the only drink I ever saw him drink, and it's a recipe I still use. At his wake, gin martini's were the only drink served in his honor. In any event, my gin martinis are made between 3 and 4 parts gin to 1 part vermouth. That's very "un-dry" by today's standard, but that's how I like 'em! <g> I think the vermouth adds to the taste of a martini, so I have to have some in the mix....I have gone down to 1/2 oz in dire circumstances, but any less does not taste right to me.

About half the time at home, and when we go out and I can get a decent scotch, I'll give up my martini for the night. But it's very rare for a cruise ship to have a the scotch I like available for cabin delivery; and I much prefer a martini anyway. We don't drink in bars very often and we much prefer our drinks on our balcony just prior to dinner.

I will order three of those small gin bottle, that will give me sufficient gin for about 9 martinis and one or two G&Ts for my wife. My martinis are admittedly light on the liquor, but at my age and with my meds, that's just fine. I only have one each night, so on the other days of our 10 day cruise I will either go cold-turkey or beg a glass of wine from my wife.😎

As I've said many times before, I wish the ships would permit us to bring our own liquor on board, after paying a suitable fee of course, as with wine. Being able to have my favorite brand is worth a lot to me. At least the cabin delivery prices on a Princess ship are not too bad, even if those small .375l bottles are inconvenient.....take a look at Carnival! I could only order a 1 litre bottle for $100 our last 7 day cruise. Probably a half-liter would have been fine. And the selection was poor in my opinion. I had to bring an empty Rum Runner flask on the cruise just to bring the remaining liquor home with me! On RCI is was bad also - one .375l bottle was around $50! Ouch! But that did include 4 cans of "mixer" at least.

Edited by PaperSniper4

5 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Ha, that's a heck of a cocktail! I'd not be able to walk 20 minutes after thinking that! :classic_ohmy:

Doug

Notice that it calls for "parts" not ounces! It's a good drink. I once had someone bring it to me with a couple of olives in it. I sent it back. YUK! I don't think olives go with the Cointreau. The twist works much better. That's why I don't think Bitters belongs in the drink either.

4 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

As I've said many times before, I wish the ships would permit us to bring our own liquor on board, after paying a suitable fee of course, as with wine. Being able to have my favorite brand is worth a lot to me. At least the cabin delivery prices on a Princess ship are not too bad, even if those small .375l bottles are inconvenient.....take a look at Carnival! I could only order a 1 litre bottle for $100 our last 7 day cruise. Probably a half-liter would have been fine. And the selection was poor in my opinion. I had to bring an empty Rum Runner flask on the cruise just to bring the remaining liquor home with me! On RCI is was bad also - one .375l bottle was around $50! Ouch! But that did include 4 cans of "mixer" at least.

I've been told that Holland America has very good prices on liquor for your cabin. I haven't sailed with them but that's what people here on CC tell me.

When we were on the Coral last April, Crooners Martini Bar had complimentary Olive Trays with about 6 or 8 good size martini olives stuffed with jalapeno, garlic, blue cheese, almond, pimento and other stuffing I can't remember.  I didn't see where you indicated which ship you were sailing on so I can't check  to see if there is a Crooners on your ship.  The Olives were outstanding!  I'm sure you could just stop by and request a tray or two during your voyage.

By the way, apparently the Crooners Olive Trays are a well kept secret.  Don't tell anyone else...:classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Daniel A

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

I've been told that Holland America has very good prices on liquor for your cabin. I haven't sailed with them but that's what people here on CC tell me.

I can verify that is true. Seems like I paid only around $55 cabin delivery for a .75 liter (or it might have been a 1 liter)  of Jameson a year ago on the Eurodam.

2 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

When we were on the Coral last April, Crooners Martini Bar had complimentary Olive Trays with about 6 or 8 good size martini olives stuffed with jalapeno, garlic, blue cheese, almond, pimento and other stuffing I can't remember.  I didn't see where you indicated which ship you were sailing on so I can't check  to see if there is a Crooners on your ship.  The Olives were outstanding!  I'm sure you could just stop by and request a tray or two during your voyage.

By the way, apparently the Crooners Olive Trays are a well kept secret.  Don't tell anyone else...:classic_rolleyes:

Our next cruises are on the I and the Grand. That USED to be in my countdown timer in my signature, but apparently those are defunct now.....I suppose it's time to revise my signature................