Obstructed view Cabins Deck 8 QM2

molly361

Does anyone have pictures or any info on cabin 8049 on the QM2? Or does anyone know of any cabins on deck 8 that might be less obstructed than that one? We were told by one agent that it is only 25% obstructed-another agent told us they are not supposed to give out that information anymore, they are to call them all totallly obstructed- this cabin in near one of the smaller lifeboats- our last cruise on the QM2 we had a hull balcony and I could not even see out over the "hull" unless I stood on the chair (and I'm not all THAT short) Thanks:cool:

Does anyone have pictures or any info on cabin 8049 on the QM2? Or does anyone know of any cabins on deck 8 that might be less obstructed than that one? We were told by one agent that it is only 25% obstructed-another agent told us they are not supposed to give out that information anymore, they are to call them all totallly obstructed- this cabin in near one of the smaller lifeboats- our last cruise on the QM2 we had a hull balcony and I could not even see out over the "hull" unless I stood on the chair (and I'm not all THAT short) Thanks:cool:

Can't speak to 8049 at the moment- there is a web page for a TA that has very good representations, but I have it bookmarked at home (though search the threads. I know it is referenced on at least 2 threads on deck 8 obs view balconies) but we just stayed in 8095- about 2/3 of the way back Starboard side. It's between the last big white tender/lifeboat(#17) and the smaller orange lifeboats (#19) we had a clear view for about 1/3 of the balcony. It was pretty neat and we got to watch them deploy and pull in the tenders. There is a cabin maybe 1/3 of the way back- could very well be where you are talking about- which has a very small boat- like a zodiac-This one you can see OVER the boat instead of between two boats. IMHO def better than a hull if you want to sit on your deck chair and gaze out. Hope this helps. If you don't find it, and don't get a better answer, I will get that other website tonight or tomorrow.

Karie

Good luck!

P.S. Which cruise/crossing are you thinking of booking?

Hey Molly361,

That's funny, we're booked in cabin 8049 for the upcoming July 3, Independence Weekend Cruise. I specifically booked this cabin as I also learned that it was only a 25% obstruction.

On our recent January 3 QM2 cruise we had the good fortune to be strolling by the door to this cabin as the passengers were returning. The elderly couple were kind enough to invite us in to peruse the room. It's a peach, the smaller boat is set back at least ten or twelve feet and the obstruction is very minimal. You will be very happy in 8049.

Happy Sails,

Jonathan

Thanks to both of you- we are going to take one of the November/December Caribbean sailings- we were on the Inagural Caribbean January 2004- very unorganized-figured to try it again- the one agent didn't believe that another one had told us that 8049 was only 25% obstructed-she is the one that directed us to this cabin

thanks Travel To Go - I am in 8094 for the upcoming West Coast Break - Having been in a hull balcony on a Carribean, I thought I would take a chance on this 3-day since it is short and just out and back. Sounds like it might be OK.

Gardenbunny, it looks like 8096 might be the better of the two. That appears to be directly across from 8095. OTOH, I think it is possible the cabin forward of ours may also have had only a partial obstruction also. I will have to look at my pics when I get home.

It would be interesting after to hear your contrast and compare on the two. (Hull vs. part obs)

Karie

I would be interested in hearing how 8096 was after the cruise is over- we are not going until the end of the year so have plency to time to possibly change cabin numbers- the agent recommended the 8049 one to us, 8096 looks like it is pretty much between the lifeboats according to the brochure

Molly361

We were on the December 21st to January 3rd 2006 Holiday cruise on the QM2 to the Caribbean. We were in cabin 8014(deck 8) which is a B-6 category.Not always listed as an option. It had a balcony obstructed view of about 25%. The view obstructed by the bow of the most forward lifeboat on the port side of the QM2. The 25% obstructed view was a minor inconvenience. the B-5 obstructed view cabins to me would be a waste of money.The lifeboats block everything except when they are lowered for lifeboat drill or the tenders being used for shore excursions.

jcmimm

thanks for the info- 8049 is near the smallest lifeboat- I had thought about changin to B6- will have to look at 8014 in the brochure, but someitimes the deck plans on the brochures can be deceiving- i apprecaite everyone's help molly361:cool:

I just called Cunard and the cat B6 does not offer any discounts ,as in early booking ,(we are going in Dec) so the cabin price for that 8014 cabin would be the same as an A3 unobstructed view or actually I think the B6 would be around $40 more- guess we will stay in 8049 (B5) unless we see another B5 that looks better between now and then, or if they discount the unobstructed A3 cabins - thanks again:)

I just called Cunard and the cat B6 does not offer any discounts ,as in early booking ,(we are going in Dec) so the cabin price for that 8014 cabin would be the same as an A3 unobstructed view or actually I think the B6 would be around $40 more- guess we will stay in 8049 (B5) unless we see another B5 that looks better between now and then, or if they discount the unobstructed A3 cabins - thanks again:)

I'm pretty sure I remember talking to someone on our cruise who had either that cabin or the equivalent on the port side- Over the small "zodiac" type boat, they described it as (I don't know what constitutes a Zodiac or whether those were Zodiacs- I didn't see them up close, honestly, but they are considerably smaller than the rest of the tenders/lifeboats) I do remember the person saying it really was if there was no obstruction at all.

The other differentce between in-hull and full glass balconies (makes a difference to some) all glassed balconies, obstructed or not, look down over the promenade deck (if you were to look straight down.) The hull balconies look down over the water.

In case a school of dolphins or mermaids should come up alongside the ship which, BTW, I have never seen happen <G>

I think you will be quite happy with the one you have.

Karie

travel-to-go

The other differentce between in-hull and full glass balconies (makes a difference to some) all glassed balconies, obstructed or not, look down over the promenade deck (if you were to look straight down.) The hull balconies look down over the water.

There's a big difference between the hull balcony and unobstructed-glass balcony. You can wake up and actually see the land from your bed. You can sit on your sofa or deck chair and see land. We honestly didn't spend much time looking at what was directly beneath our balcony! Also, I was able to sit up in bed and look out and see the Statue of Liberty as we passed her in the early morning hours of our arrival into NYC! The extra $$ spent on the portside glass balcony are well worth it.

travel-to-go

There's a big difference between the hull balcony and unobstructed-glass balcony. You can wake up and actually see the land from your bed. You can sit on your sofa or deck chair and see land. We honestly didn't spend much time looking at what was directly beneath our balcony! Also, I was able to sit up in bed and look out and see the Statue of Liberty as we passed her in the early morning hours of our arrival into NYC! The extra $$ spent on the portside glass balcony are well worth it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to indicate that was the only diff <LOL> That had alread been discussed! (I think-) Of course I'm sitting here, imagining someone on a crossing- thinking- What land? Did someone paint a picture on your door <G> Sorry. I guess I should go to bed now!

Yes- You can't see out a hull balcony sitting in your deck chair. But if you only care about light and fresh air- I guess hull is okay. I keep thinking about the Alaskan Sled Dog theory- Only the lead dog gets a change of scenery! As in, once you're on the crossing, it's all ocean- Actually, we like to stand out and look at the stars, or see other ships way out in the shipping lane. Although I've never done a crossing, so maybe they don't come that close. I don't know.

We were fine with our obstructed view (but full glass) balcony. Sure, I would have liked unobstructed. But it wasn't worth the major difference in cost to me. YMMV

Karie

I'm with Karie on this one- having had a hull balcony, where as I stated in my first post I had to stand on the deck chair in order to see the water I am going to be happier even with the obstructed view- then at least even whil lounging in bed you can look out at the water instead of at a hunk of steel- and like anything else, that is just this one person's opinion:rolleyes: :D

travel-to-go

Of course I'm sitting here, imagining someone on a crossing- thinking- What land? Did someone paint a picture on your door

Of course I'm sitting here, thinking that you should imagine that someone is on a Caribbean cruise - thinking - islands! No need to paint a picture on the door!

Molly361

Thanks to both of you- we are going to take one of the November/December Caribbean sailings

travel-to-go

Of course I'm sitting here, thinking that you should imagine that someone is on a Caribbean cruise - thinking - islands! No need to paint a picture on the door!

Molly361

<sigh>

I'm ALWAYS painting that picture in my mind! Especially in January in the northeast!

Thanks for making my Monday, Molly361!

:cool:

I was actually going to book the in-hull, but they offered the upgrade to the obstructed view for $200 less than the hull, so I figured why not. I'll let you know what I think - I personally liked the in-hull - when it was cool and windy, you could still sit out and just hearing the water against the side of the ship was very soothing. I thought this would give more light and since it was only 3 days - We want to do the New England trip in the fall - with all the port stops, I would definitely want a view balcony.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to both of you- we are going to take one of the November/December Caribbean sailings- we were on the Inagural Caribbean January 2004- very unorganized-figured to try it again- the one agent didn't believe that another one had told us that 8049 was only 25% obstructed-she is the one that directed us to this cabin

Any other "minimally obstructed" cabins. We are in a B5 category. Any thoughts on this, it is obstructed? I am not sure how bad this is on QM2 - any assistance is much appreciated - it is our first cruise...

Any other "minimally obstructed" cabins. We are in a B5 category. Any thoughts on this, it is obstructed? I am not sure how bad this is on QM2 - any assistance is much appreciated - it is our first cruise...

• 2 weeks later...

I was up on deck 9 in Queens Grill Class(too much money for very few extras) but the B5 offer for my next cruise was too good to pass up in terms of saving money.

I mainly need the balcony for the air. There are plenty of public places on the QM2 to look at scenery.

My most recent conversation with Cunard resulted in me putting in for a frequent cruiser if available starboard upgrade from B5.

But the July 3rd cruise is so short, I wouldnt worry about the obstructions.

I am on the previous twenty four day mediterranean grand cruise, new york/ new york. June ninth until July 3rd. Have fun on July 4th!

Thanks for the kind response...I look forward one day to a long cruise as you describe above...Best wishes, SDB1S

Can't help that much, we were in 8019 and 8023, lifeboat obstructed-- would take that over hull in a heartbeat--lots of sun and light because the lifeboats are set pretty far out and the balconies are all glass instead of obstructed halfway up. Having been in Queens Grill in 9025 have to say minor difference--since light is more important to us than completely unobstructed views. We are out and about all day and found sunsets with cocktails every night from somewhere on the ship easily so who cares.. We could see everything we needed to. Great views from the beds when you awaken, hardly noticed the lifeboats. we would hate the hull.

Carol

Archived