Check-in Time v Boarding Time

clw1624

New to NCL so I'm not 100% certain about what time we can get the party started. My check-in time says 9:30 but looking at the Edocs, boarding time is noon. Does this mean we're hanging out in the port until noon or will that let us on once we've provided our passports, etc.?

Check-In Registration starts ? 09:30 am - you can Check-In at that time or later.

Boarding may commence earlier than noon depending on when the ship

arrived and was cleared of any Customs Immigration protocol cleaning supplying.

Check-In and Boarding times are just suggested - if you check-in early

you may have to wait till that boarding call.

General boarding is preceeded by priority boarding of guests in suites

handicap and mobility impaired folks followed by Platinum Gold Silver and Bronze latitudes.

On larger ships there maybe two or more gangways for boarding.

Smaller ones - only one.

While unlikely with sparse check-in - boarding of all guest categories may

take place.without much waiting.

If planning on checking in at or near 09:30 expect to wait at least an

hour or two before boarding.

YMMV

Each port ship and sailing is not all that routine but expect to see boarding started around 11 am 

The only boarding requirement is to be on board 2 hours before sailing.

I don't know why I read on here that those with mobility issues (need wheelchair) get on earlier than others.  We get a wheelchair for my Mom and it always seams to take quite a bit longer.  Might get through the part where we turn in passport and such a bit quicker, but then we end up in a room like everybody else and wait.  There are never enough wheelchairs for everybody (NOLA was horrible) and I know others that we got to port with (at same time) have gotten on board much quicker.  Is this not the way it is usually happens for others requesting chair?

3 hours ago, Jasonmom said:

I don't know why I read on here that those with mobility issues (need wheelchair) get on earlier than others.  We get a wheelchair for my Mom and it always seams to take quite a bit longer.  Might get through the part where we turn in passport and such a bit quicker, but then we end up in a room like everybody else and wait.  There are never enough wheelchairs for everybody (NOLA was horrible) and I know others that we got to port with (at same time) have gotten on board much quicker.  Is this not the way it is usually happens for others requesting chair?

Pier terminal logistics -

using WC in the gangways limited space (2 chairs passing ?) -

need elevators to bypass stairs -

It is easier and faster to board as many WCs as possible all at once but there are limits on manpower and WC equipment.

once on board again the need for elevators - embarking day is a zoo for elevator use.

Having your own chair scooter or even a rental is a plus -

one less chair and crew member making the round trip back to the boarding lobby.

The larger ships with two boarding gangways are apt to be better at this.

Granted it is not perfect but the WC mobility folks are being accommodated.  

If you want to miss the (sometimes harrowing) crush of the pervious cruise passengers disembarking and the new cruisers checking in, I probably wouldn't get to the pier before noon or 1:00-ish. 

That way, check in will be easy and quick.  Plus, the initial embarkation rush will behind you.

Check-in time has no correlation to boarding time.  

So, depending on which pier and city you're sailing from, the embarkation usually starts somewhere around 11:00 a.m.  Sometimes they start to board 10-15 mins earlier, but 11:00 a.m. is the usual time for embarkation.

They will put you in one of around 4-5 categories as priority to board.  First will be Haven guests and probably those who are disabled.  Then, the Latitudes members (Ambassador, Platinum Plus and Platinum go first in boarding Group One.

If you have to get a wheelchair from NCL, it could take longer....or you could get on board earlier.  Depends on how long it takes for the pier staff to get a wheel chair.

The rest follow after that according to the boarding group you're assigned to.

While it's true, the earlier you get to the pier, the more likely you are to snag an early embarkation number.

To me, that's not worth the hassle.  At noon, you'll more likely just checkin and walk right on board. No waiting around for hours, no push through the embarkation ramp, etc.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, clw1624 said:

New to NCL so I'm not 100% certain about what time we can get the party started. My check-in time says 9:30 but looking at the Edocs, boarding time is noon. Does this mean we're hanging out in the port until noon or will that let us on once we've provided our passports, etc.?

Check in time begins around 9:30. Boarding begins between 11:00 and 11:45. If you arrive before boarding begins, you can wait in the boarding area like at the airport though not as nice, or you can go back out and play tourist.