Are all sideway cabins created equal?

Camelia-

Hi everyone,

I've found alot of information (including pictures)  on these unique inside cabins which is extremely useful. I'm still not sure though how different they are across the fleet. I'm looking at booking C106 on the Caribbean Princess and I'm wondering if it will be very similar to the pictures of the same sideway cabin that were posted of the Royal Princess? I know that it's a different class ship. I'm assuming also that there will be more movement since it's a the very front but are there any other alerts to consider if booking this cabin? I'm also assuming that there will some noise from the Princess Theatre. I'm intrigued by the different layout though so I'm tempted!

I'd appreciate any information that you'd like to share..with thanks.

Camelia

layout is a bit different from Royal Princess to the Caribbean Princess.  We have stayed in a sideways on Regal and Caribbean. The royal class ships were built with the newer bigger tvs in mind...so they are wall mounted we just did 2 weeks on the Caribbean princess in a sideways R508 and since the smaller tv used to be mounted up on a small shelf above the long counter the newer big screen interactive tv is now taking up that long lovely counter. I have included photos of that.  While the general layout is the same door opens right into the bed area no long hallway to walk down, we felt the royal class ships were a bit roomier.  There is some space behind the big tv in the Caribbean photo...just be careful of the wires for the tv. we love both of them as they are for sure roomier feeling that a normal interior.  On the CB you have that spot with the tv and then a long desk/makeup area that butts right up next to the night stand on the royal it is just that one counter you see with space behind the door...you can see more pics of the cabins in my shutterfly pics.  The Regal was our E carib 2015 cruise and the Caribbean was the most recent 2 weeks in 2018.

regal sideways room.JPG

caribbean.JPG

• Like 1

Jeter02...yeah they have it resting on the gold bar so it sat crooked.......not that we watched it a lot but just had to laugh that they couldn't even remove the gold bar to insure the tv sat flat and straight.  I was still able to use the back of the counter to hold our beach bag for the next day...but that was certainly a head scratcher. not sure why they didn't mount it with a swing out arm that was attached to the wall up where the shelf was...I am not engineer but I thought that was poor placement..lol

Camelia you are welcome...we always use one suitcase as a hamper of sorts...I have the largest bag you can check per airlines and I am able to lay it flat inside that first closet and then just lift the lid of the suitcase and lay the dirty clothes in there........that way I am essentially packing a little each day vs trying to repack everything near the end.  We love these rooms but there are few of them on the grand class ships, the royal class has more of them.

4 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Jeter02...yeah they have it resting on the gold bar so it sat crooked.......not that we watched it a lot but just had to laugh that they couldn't even remove the gold bar to insure the tv sat flat and straight.  I was still able to use the back of the counter to hold our beach bag for the next day...but that was certainly a head scratcher. not sure why they didn't mount it with a swing out arm that was attached to the wall up where the shelf was...I am not engineer but I thought that was poor placement..lol

Camelia you are welcome...we always use one suitcase as a hamper of sorts...I have the largest bag you can check per airlines and I am able to lay it flat inside that first closet and then just lift the lid of the suitcase and lay the dirty clothes in there........that way I am essentially packing a little each day vs trying to repack everything near the end.  We love these rooms but there are few of them on the grand class ships, the royal class has more of them.

Yup I've seen them sit in those caddy corner upper shelf so it's doable. At least it's entertaining in trying to figureb out why. Hehehe

There are pictures of this cabin on CB and Crown on Cruisedeckplans.  The deck plan is deceiving in that the cabin looks much larger, but from the pictures it is the same size and layout as all of the other inside cabins.  EM

2 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Yup I've seen them sit in those caddy corner upper shelf so it's doable. At least it's entertaining in trying to figureb out why. Hehehe

yeah we had quite a laugh at it when we first boarded. then we would have the tv on while getting ready or what not to see the bridge cam and while siding up to the dock or with some rough waters it rocked and bounced it was hilarious...didn't ruin the cruise but have to wonder who stepped back and thought ...yup looks great move on.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

There are pictures of this cabin on CB and Crown on Cruisedeckplans.  The deck plan is deceiving in that the cabin looks much larger, but from the pictures it is the same size and layout as all of the other inside cabins.  EM

are you speaking about C106?  As I have been in R508 and C412 on the CB and R508 is the sideways and C412 a normal interior and I can tell you there is for sure a difference in the roominess of the room.  they may be same sq footage but the sideways layout gave us more room than the normal c412....

50 minutes ago, tillys mom said:

We are in R507 on the Crown next week. Does anyone know if the tv is set up like on the CB. We loved our sideways cabin the last time we sailed.

here is how R508 looked in 2017.  But the crown was no where near medallion ready then.  I believe she is in the process or is already converted to medallion so you may have the huge tv on the below counter like we did on the CB.   the 2nd pic shows the backside of that counter after the TV was placed on it...so you do have some room...hopefully someone recently on the Crown can tell you if they have upgraded to the interactive new tvs...

Capture.JPG

2.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tillys mom said:

We are in R507 on the Crown next week. Does anyone know if the tv is set up like on the CB. We loved our sideways cabin the last time we sailed.

On the Golden and Ruby they are not on the counter. They are up on that upper shelf. In my OV cabin in the CB it was also in top as well.

I was on Star Princess in C106 - it was sold as a sideway cabin (it was a reason i booked it after being on Royal and Majestic). it was a regular inside cabin with an entrance around the corner of the hallway. 

i would not recommend that cabin because there is a bad vibration when thrusters are working.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

here is how R508 looked in 2017.  But the crown was no where near medallion ready then.  I believe she is in the process or is already converted to medallion so you may have the huge tv on the below counter like we did on the CB.   the 2nd pic shows the backside of that counter after the TV was placed on it...so you do have some room...hopefully someone recently on the Crown can tell you if they have upgraded to the interactive new tvs...

Capture.JPG

2.JPG

The Crown converted to Medallion a couple of months ago and it now has on demand tv. Thanks for your help; I’m looking forward to our cruise next month. 

3 hours ago, manunia said:

I was on Star Princess in C106 - it was sold as a sideway cabin (it was a reason i booked it after being on Royal and Majestic). it was a regular inside cabin with an entrance around the corner of the hallway. 

i would not recommend that cabin because there is a bad vibration when thrusters are working.

i was hoping someone caught this.  Never been in that cabin, but I knew it was a "regular" inside and not a real "sideways" inside.

Not how where or why it was sold as a sideways.  Must have been a rep or TA who doesn't now better.  

As a general rule, if you can see a way into the END of the cabin looking at the deck plan, chances are excellent it is a regular and not true sideways.

9 minutes ago, tillys mom said:

The Crown converted to Medallion a couple of months ago and it now has on demand tv. Thanks for your help; I’m looking forward to our cruise next month. 

I hope your TV is mounted higher up but if not you still have some room behind it and have a fabulous cruise 

9 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Pictures of R508 are definitely different than C106.  C106 is not a side entry.  The deck plans do not indicate where the entry is, but the pictures show that it has to be on the forward end.  EM

ahhh yeah the layout deckplan is misleading...not that I would book that far forward but good to know that it is truly not a sideways cabin.

I was in C106 on Caribbean Princess in February 2018. I had picked it because it looked bigger but it was a regular sized, regular layout inside cabin and yes the door was around the corner from the long hallway - on the most forward wall (top wall in the deck plan). We didn’t have a problem with thruster noise, but it was right near a door to a crew area and I think the first day or two there was a cigarette smoke odor in the hallway.

• 3 weeks later...

just returned from my experience in C106 on the CB and I wanted to share - in case anyone else is considering this cabin. As has been mentioned already we found that this is a regular inside cabin - not a sideways one. I loved..loved..loved the location! Yes it's near the door where the stewards enter but we were never bothered by any noise..or smoke for that matter. I loved the fact that it felt more private because you had to round the corner to enter..no passengers ever walking by. I expected lots of movement since it's almost the first cabin but except for the fact that for a brief few minutes the thrusters were felt as we approached the port..the cabin was so steady that I could actually forget that I was on a cruiseship..NO movement at all. In fact, I overheard another cruiser who had been on the same cruise, say that his wife had been in bed all day seasick because of the movement..and I could only shake my head because that was definitely not my experience. However, having said that, when we walked aft and went up to the buffet the ship vibrated so much that you couldn't ignore it..!

On 7/24/2019 at 10:44 AM, cruzrbachoua said:

layout is a bit different from Royal Princess to the Caribbean Princess.  We have stayed in a sideways on Regal and Caribbean. The royal class ships were built with the newer bigger tvs in mind...so they are wall mounted we just did 2 weeks on the Caribbean princess in a sideways R508 and since the smaller tv used to be mounted up on a small shelf above the long counter the newer big screen interactive tv is now taking up that long lovely counter

That TV mounting is horrible.   

I would never have such a hack in my home.

If would have been simple enough to use a ceiling mount, and have the tv just above the original tube-tv shelf.

...and retain the counter space.

ceiling-mounted-tv-mount-it-full-size-of