Trip Insurance

LLCoolDoc

Hello!

I am thinking about booking a cruise for next July.......I am looking for insurance that would cover parent illness......my husband's mom is 90 and my mom has cancer......would like to be covered if either parent is very ill at the time of our trip.

Any advice on insurance?

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

Excellent idea (and I'm very sorry about your mom).  However, this forum is for questions related to NCL.  There's a helpful forum here on CC specifically dedicated to discussing travel insurance:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

And I'd also suggest that you contact 

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL them to discuss specifically about the relatives.

We use them to get policies from Travel Insured, and we have a similar situation with MIL who is in late-90's.

We've had a few claims, including some large ones, and they've paid without any fuss.

Good luck!

GC

• Like 1

Just now, LLCoolDoc said:

Thank you! I'm an NCL fanatic, which is why I posted it here! Sorry if it doesn't belong here!

No worries!  In the travel forum, you will find a number of good web sites for comparing policies.  Many policies do have provisions that will cover you if you have to cancel or interrupt a trip because of the death of a parent or certain serious medical conditions of a parent.    (Read the terms carefully!)  Also, those medical conditions for non-travelers may be considered pre-existing conditions by some insurers (even for non-travelers); if so, you'll need to be sure you buy your policy within any deadline that exists to be sure you have coverage for pre-existing conditions. 

Shop around for that insurance - start perhaps with your homeowners/renters/automobile provider

you just might have coverage you did not know about.

Have a auto club membership see what they have to offer - booking with a TA another source.

Do read the fine print and get the policy that covers your unexpected needs.

Those needs seem to be of the trip interruption type centering on family at home rather than

insurance for you on board a ship. Consider getting the "cancel for any reason" type while it may be

more costly - covering any reason is just that all inclusive instead of dealing with a specific issue.

Consider also you are on the cruise out in the middle of somewhere and need to get home in hurry

the costs of airline tickets one-way high season is astronomical make sure that is covered.

For now hope you will have insurance and not need it rather than wish you did.

3 hours ago, awinte2 said:

When arranging insurance please read all the fine print.  Most do not point out to you that they may not cover if there are pre existing conditions. 

That is why it is critical to get a policy that states it does NOT exclude pre-existing conditions if you purchase the policy within the "x" days of making the *first* payment, such as the deposit.  This is usually about 10-20 days, depending upon the policy AND depending upon the state.

It is easy to find these policies.

(There is also at least one policy that will include pre-existing conditions if the policy is started no later than within 24 hours of FINAL/full payment deadline date, with that date defined very specifically, for obvious reasons.)

If you do not SEE that clearly in the policy, then, as stated, beware...

OTOH, work with a good travel insurance broker, who can offer you a selection of policies that specifically include pre-existing conditions, so you don't have to search through all the fine print.

-->> But ASK to see the specific terms that guarantee this, so you know for sure.  A good broker will quickly tell you exactly whick section/sentence/etc., states this clearly.

Likewise if you are concerned about the health of relatives.  Some policies may also have requirements about pre-existing conditions of relatives; other policies do *not*.

GC

On 7/25/2019 at 3:41 PM, LLCoolDoc said:

Hello!

I am thinking about booking a cruise for next July.......I am looking for insurance that would cover parent illness......my husband's mom is 90 and my mom has cancer......would like to be covered if either parent is very ill at the time of our trip.

Any advice on insurance?

I am in a similar situation and undecided on how to handle it. I got quotes from insuremytrip.com  & NCL platinum coverage but concerned with covering pre-existing conditions like your mom. When you have an existing issue, we don't plan on anything bad happening, but I have seen too many people being air-lifted off the ship and heard about the exorbitant costs. Frankly it scares  me. I don't want to stop travelling but...  Your question is not just an issue about travel insurance but more complex, ie primary/secondary coverage & who pays first.

Edited by kitty-sail