Dear Lisa,

My wife and I took our first cruise in 2017, another in 2018 and have two cruises booked for 2020 and 2021. We're still hoping to squeeze one in this year. We are amazed by the ships, service and food. Even more amazed by the value for our dollar. However, we worry that the industry is getting saturated, which is great for the consumer in the short run, but worries me that quality will suffer eventually as prices are driven/held down. Also, the growth in the sheer number of ships visiting small historic ports (e.g. Venice) is causing a backlash with some communities and local governments. Where do you see the industry in 5 years with regards to these issues.

Thanks

Jack

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Jack!

The cruise industry has seen continuous growth and demand in recent years and we are thrilled that people are truly understanding how special a cruise vacation is. We are also seeing a trend in guests wanting to explore new destinations and support sustainable travel by patronizing local venues, learning and immersing themselves in local cultures, flavors and sharing their experiences. Sustainable travel is key. We carefully consider our partnerships, relationships with the ports, our destination partnerships and our environmental responsibility. There are so many places to go in the world, and we keep adding new destinations to our list. 

Thank you and have a great rest of your day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lisa Lutoff-Perlo said:

Hello Jack!

The cruise industry has seen continuous growth and demand in recent years and we are thrilled that people are truly understanding how special a cruise vacation is. We are also seeing a trend in guests wanting to explore new destinations and support sustainable travel by patronizing local venues, learning and immersing themselves in local cultures, flavors and sharing their experiences. Sustainable travel is key. We carefully consider our partnerships, relationships with the ports, our destination partnerships and our environmental responsibility. There are so many places to go in the world, and we keep adding new destinations to our list. 

Thank you and have a great rest of your day!

Thank you. To your point about immersing ourselves in local cultures, I am grateful for overnights. We thoroughly enjoyed three of them in Iceland and Ireland in June. I hope that Celebrity will continue to add more of them.

Yes, I realize that they may have been a function of tide times, and that port fees are a concern, but I would love to see more added.

Hi Lisa,

Thinking of Venice in particular and the strong anti-cruise ship feeling which seems to be held by locals, I wonder if it might be an idea for Celebrity to volunteer to stop cruising in to Venice before the ban which is coming - great PR points?

I say this as someone who would love to sail in or out of Venice at some point, but I do also cringe when I see the photos of the ships dwarfing the Venice skyline.

From what I understand the alternative dock is only 3 miles away, so access to the city would still be very easy.

Just a thought, as we say in the UK, Brownie points for Celebrity for being pro-active and environmentally friendly.....

Lizzie