Princess fans enjoyed NCL Jewel

LindaKE

I would have classed us as firmly Princess fans, but we really enjoyed our NCL Jewel cruise last week. There were a few differences, but, the things I didn't like as well were minor. Many many areas we rated NCl either the same as if not better than Princess. One thing that really stood out was that, on NCL, the crew spoke excellent English. There were very very few times when we had any trouble at all understanding or making ourselves understood. I also thought that the engineers who designed the Jewel should go to the top of the class. They managed to fit more into small spaces than I would have ever thought to be possible. It wasn't even awkward because the space was so small (except the shower).

Linda - thanks for your comments. If you are going to write a review, I would be very interested in reading it.

The newer NCL ships look like beauties and some of their itineraries have caught my eyes a few times.

Been on NCL twice - first time on what was then the Windward, now Norwegian Wind.

Second time was on Norwegian Dream (former Dreamward). Didn't care for the ship's layout after the stretch-job; thought the deck plan choppy, and ship was much more crowded after the stretch than before.

That said, NCL has some very attractive prices, and we would try them again, given the right itinerary, etc.

We were on N. Jewel in November and also thought it compared very favorably with the other cruiselines we've been on (including Princess).

Some things we liked....some we didn't. We even briefly toyed with the idea of cancelling CB in April and doing Jewel again (eastern this time vs. western). However, we didn't. We liked freestyle, but I have to admit there was alot on tension on my part about making sure I made all the reservations for the week on the first day. The ship was brand new and that's always nice. What did it for me was the fact that the pool area on the Jewel is so open to the sun, right near the kids area--we like the pools on Princess and the fact that we can find some shade and also find an adult-only area.

I love cruising. I really look forward to trying new cruiselines and I've never had a bad cruise.

We were also on the old Norwegian Dream and Norwegian Wind and really thought the NCL experience to be excellent. Started going on Princess and fell in love with Princess but we have been seeing some great prices also for NCL that look to be very tempting. Would be interested in a review about this particular ship - especially about the freestyle dining experience. I'm not sure how that works, especially if there are any formal nights.

We sailed the Norwegian Sun a couple of years ago for the itinerary, and we really enjoyed it. NCL seems to do a good job with their new ships, but the reports aren't anywhere near as good on the older ones such as the Sea and the Majesty. We're big Princess fans but I would definitely sail NCL again. Actually, we've been looking at the Jewell for next summer in the Mediterranean because it's one of the few ships which offers a 7-day itinerary , Sunday to Sunday --- that just fits much better into our schedules than the longer 10-12 day cruises. Glad to hear a good report on this ship!

On the Jewel, there is one night designated as formal "for those who want to participate". That night, those who weren't dressed formally were dressed nicely. Every night we saw people dressed formally, maybe because there are so many alternate restaurants to choose from. On the Star Princess there were people at the shows in short shorts, sweat suits, etc. No so on the Jewel. Everyone dressed nicely everywhere in the evening.

U agree with the previous poster. On the Jewel, people were dressed formally (men in tuxes) regardless of the evening. Since the dress was optional, it was nice to see those who wanted to dress up, did so.

Did not see any extremely casual dressing in the evening....

Archived