Rome to Barcelona by plane

ssbeard1

Due to date restrictions we are looking at a cruise leaving Barcelona.  I would like to spend time in Rome (more than the one day our port stop would allow).  Is it doable to fly into Rome several days before the cruise and then fly with Ryanair or a similar budget carrier to Barcelona?  Any cons on this matter is greatly appreciated.  Also, recommendation on air.   This will be our first trip to Europe so unsure of logistics.

Thanks

This is very doable - you'll find air fare can be very reasonable.  As already recommended I'd start doing some fare checks on Kayak.  On Kayak you can also build in the price of checking luggage and carry on fees - be mindful budget airlines are really strict on enforcing weight limits!  Additionally, some have some really crazy fares we'd never think about.

This spring we flew into Dublin on Delta, flew on to Edinburgh on Aer Lingus, then on to Frankfurt on Lufthansa, and then home on Delta.  The cost of flying on Aer Lingus and Lufthansa, with checked luggage, didn't even come to $250 per person. 

Did Barcelona to Pisa on Vueling one year.  It was easy.  I would image doing a quickie between Barcelona and Rome would be similar.  As Mapleleaves said, be very aware of those extra costs for baggage.  I remember Easyjet (between Pisa and Paris on same trip) had a strict only one cabin bag rule and a charge for every checked bag.   If you go into it fully informed, you should have fun on the short trip to Rome.  Maybe see if you can store luggage in Barcelona and only take a tiny bag with you!!!

I just did a dummy fare check for travel next June from Rome to Barcelona using Kayak.  The initial Ryan Air fee of $38 actually came to $78 for one checked bag and one carry one or on Alitalia for $98.