QV in Newcastle

Ray66

Some photos I took on Tuesday of the QV entering the River Tyne in the morning on her way to dock at North Shields. (photo was taken in South Shields). Unfortunately they left an hour early as we were eating evening meal and so didn't get the chance to take photos then.

Am I right in thinking that this is the first time Cunard has been to Newcastle since the QE2 was there about 10 years ago?

Did anyone manage to get pictures of the 3 Queens in Southampton last week?

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.915b61bcbd1c06c1d106fc7c77f6a9c1.jpg1585395679_QV2.thumb.jpg.3ba5e324f1bf38e6a09692eb5bbaa2f7.jpg1095881278_QV3.thumb.jpg.c1cb888e273f555bb9438c22c4cc1f3b.jpg

Edited by Ray66
  • Like 1

Thanks for the photos, Ray.

I believe you are correct that this is the first time a Cunard ship has been to Newcastle since the QE2 was there in 2008. This article from The Shields Gazette makes that statement.

Huge Cunard ship cruises into North East on its first stop on tour around Britain

I also checked past itineraries for the current queens and didn't happen to spot Newcastle in them anywhere (other than Newcastle, Australia).

My mum messaged me saying there was a "bloody big ship" in and she thought it looked like a Cunard one... Bless her cottons. 

I would have loved to have been home visiting to see her arrival! 

Beamish is certainly worth a trip if anyone ever sails into Newcastle... And, even just the city of Newcastle its self is great to spend some time wandering around the centre. Nice small compact city with some of the most amazing architecture in the UK, Grey Street was labeled, at some point, one of the most architecturally significant streets in the UK by someone for something, or something like that 😄 

Thanks for posting the early am arrival of QV into the River Tyne. I will post a picture of QV leaving at 7pm later that day.

North East is wonderful with castles on the Northumberland coast, the Roman wall from Segedunum Roman fort, Benwell Roman Temple and the Roman wall out towards Chester's and Housesteads, Beamish open air museum, architecture of Newcastle, and shopping at the Metro Centre.       

Hope Cunard return in future years. 

DAR QV Aug2019.jpg

Edited by Photo Andy
sea is not level
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Photo Andy said:

Thanks for posting the early am arrival of QV into the River Tyne. I will post a picture of QV leaving at 7pm later that day.

North East is wonderful with castles on the Northumberland coast, the Roman wall from Segedunum Roman fort, Benwell Roman Temple and the Roman wall out towards Chester's and Housesteads, Beamish open air museum, architecture of Newcastle, and shopping at the Metro Centre.       

Hope Cunard return in future years. 

DAR QV Aug2019.jpg

ABSOLUTELY! 

When I worked for BA and did NCL shuttles, if I had time to chat to tourists I would tell them all about the Northumberland coast, Seahouses, Holy Island and all the different things about the area, and a lot had no idea of anything outside the city... 

Although I don't live in the NE, I am still a massive champion for it... 🙂