Alaska first timer-need advice

32 minutes ago, ryano said:

Im glad to hear this.  Accessible balconies are booked solid already for next year for the dates I could go so we opted for a interior with "virtual balcony".   I never spend much time in the cabin and I really dont see having a balcony changing that.   There seems to be plenty of places on Ovation to view the scenery.

I was on a Holland America Alaska cruise in August, and I never went on my balcony except the first day before we left for about five minutes.

• Like 1

Just over a year ago with did 7 night return from Seattle on Explorer. We had an aft balcony. Every morning I sat on it with my coffee and marvelled at the unparalleled beauty. I had a light weight down travel blanket for the chilly mornings. We saw whales most mornings and the sunrises and sunsets on the mountains were spectacular. One thing I will never forget is the evening before our 20th anniversary, my husband and older son had been out exploring the ship and I had gone to bed early. They came flying into the cabin around midnight, whipped open the curtain and yelled ‘look at this!’....(see pics attached)

I’ve never been so happy to have a balcony. We stood wrapped up in my blanket for over an hour as the sky danced in shades of pink, red and green.

For me, the balcony was one of the best parts of the cruise. If you’re generally out and about and don’t like to spend much time in your room it might not be so valuable, but if there are reports of northern lights expected, make sure you have a view of the night sky from somewhere on the ship. Many people that were ‘inside’ the ship, either their rooms or entertainment venues, missed the display. The next night was cloudy.

B6D5D909-19BD-471B-BDF1-6E83E3DB3DA0.jpeg

898894AE-72F3-4531-93FB-6DB681881898.jpeg

FAC8250C-E370-4353-B274-D6EA1D4175CB.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/24/2019 at 4:11 PM, Vera/Lee said:

The most important piece of advice that I would like to give you, is to pick one cruise line and stick with them. The loyalty programs have awesome benefits!!! I wish someone had told me that 50 years ago. But, if you don't plan on cruising a lot, it's not as important. We cruised to Alaska in July on Princess (for a Cousins Cruise) and we really missed our loyalty perks from Royal. (Glacier Bay is BEAUTIFUL!)

We are D+ on Royal Caribbean but when we go to Alaska it is on Holland America with a balcony. We drove to Alaska, few years ago, and decided Denali  was great but SE Alaska was better (went back to lower 48 on the ferry). Our 12th trip to Alaska is booked   for next season, it will be our third time on the Oosterdam . We like Hubbard glacier better than glacier bay. Favorite port is Sitka, least favorite is Skagway. Every port is easy walking to interesting sights and activities. There is no need to buy a shore excursion if you are on a budget. My favorite excursions have been Whale Watch with Harv and Marv (5 people on the boat), seaplane to Taku Lodge, Rental car to Carcross (rode the train one year, hated it, I’m more interested in scenery). 

I can can not think of a single loyalty perk I miss when going to Alaska. I go for scenery and photography. I will not go without a balcony and all the photos I’ve taken from there.