Atlantic storm Dorian

PelicanBill

2 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

Was talking to my wife about this too.  We may be on a cruise to nowhere as well.  There's not many places we could get to with the storm still out there I would think.  I don't know that we could get down to PR or St Thomas area, Nassau could be a mess, HMC will likely be a mess.  Bermuda is an option, but not likely with no berths left.

This was part of the Carnival 6:00 update:

Carnival Sunshine 09/02/19 – No change to itinerary, we plan to operate as scheduled.

Really surprising that they think we will be able to visit any part of the Bahamas on Wednesday and Thursday.

36 minutes ago, Raiderguy8 said:

Carnival Sunshine 09/02/19 – No change to itinerary, we plan to operate as scheduled.

Really surprising that they think we will be able to visit any part of the Bahamas on Wednesday and Thursday.

Yeah i have a little more confidence in nassau.  I don't see HMC happening

Someone on another site just posted (reportedly from NCL site):

Norwegian Breakaway – August 25, 2019 Sailing
As scheduled, Norwegian Breakaway arrived to Cozumel, Mexico on Friday, August 30, 2019. On August 31 at 4 a.m. the ship will depart Cozumel for Miami, Florida. At this time, we are waiting for the United States Coast Guard to confirm that we will be able to dock in Miami on Sunday, September 1.

We will provide an update on the anticipated return date to Miami by 3 p.m. or sooner on Saturday, August 31.

Norwegian Breakaway – September 1, 2019 Sailing
We are in communication with the United States Coast Guard to confirm if Norwegian Breakaway will be able to return to Miami, Florida on September 1, 2019. We will provide an update by 3 p.m. or sooner on Saturday, August 31.

Breaking News from NCL Sun lol!

We've been just told we will have an overnight in Cozumel. (Everyone on the ship started clapping.) Our cruise has been extended for at least 1 day for now. 

Any suggestions for things to do after 4 in Cozumel?

28 minutes ago, Jasonmom said:

Someone on another site just posted (reportedly from NCL site):

Norwegian Breakaway – August 25, 2019 Sailing
As scheduled, Norwegian Breakaway arrived to Cozumel, Mexico on Friday, August 30, 2019. On August 31 at 4 a.m. the ship will depart Cozumel for Miami, Florida. At this time, we are waiting for the United States Coast Guard to confirm that we will be able to dock in Miami on Sunday, September 1.

We will provide an update on the anticipated return date to Miami by 3 p.m. or sooner on Saturday, August 31.

Norwegian Breakaway – September 1, 2019 Sailing
We are in communication with the United States Coast Guard to confirm if Norwegian Breakaway will be able to return to Miami, Florida on September 1, 2019. We will provide an update by 3 p.m. or sooner on Saturday, August 31.

So NCL isn't telling folks expecting to sail on Sunday if it's happening until Saturday afternoon?  

10 minutes ago, troyers said:

They didn’t tell us until this afternoon if we were sailing tomorrow on the Sky. 

I was just going to say the same thing.. plus they said key west, they revoked it several hours later.. with no change with storm. It makes sense.. but I wonder why the change.

Edited by NyYankees2k3

3 hours ago, Raiderguy8 said:

The cruise lines will say no change until there is one. Very rare to see anything else. Although some did finally post messages like “we are unsure if the ship can return to port as scheduled”

Edited by PelicanBill

20 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

So NCL isn't telling folks expecting to sail on Sunday if it's happening until Saturday afternoon?  

They’ll know by midnight tonight. Passengers should have emails quickly. But I wonder if everyone has returned to the ship in Cozumel.

Edited by PelicanBill

Nassau should be ok. They will only get topical storm winds and are well built. They took only light damage from a storm in 2016.   But I fear Freeport will be severely damaged including Royal Caribbean’s newly purchased Grand Lucayan Resort. Only half the hotels have reopened on St Maarten after their 2017 hurricane. They were non operational for cruises for a year.

It is heartening to see things like this. The pacific data center, storm experts from Hawaii, have come to help the Bahamas ahead of the storm.

Have a look at the attachment. This is the analysis they provided on the current path for Grand Bahama Island.

1A0D49BB-5A4B-49C9-8ED3-D608ED6B28B7.jpeg

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

That's what they are saying on the other large site (those booked on the Breakaway Sept 1 cruise).  It's really hard for them as some have booked air the day prior (as most people recommend). If they don't fly tomorrow morning and the cruise goes, they may not be able to get refund from travel insurance.  If they take their flights and can't get on the ship then they are most likely stuck in Miami for the hurricane and might have trouble finding a place to stay (not to mention food, gas, and drinking water could run low) 

Watching the weather right now and they said one of the transmitters they drop from the hurricane hunter aircraft just found a wind of 170 mph at around 5,000 ASL. Scary storm. I have my shutters ready here in Savannah just in case it pulls a Matthew.

9 minutes ago, Jasonmom said:

That's what they are saying on the other large site (those booked on the Breakaway Sept 1 cruise).  It's really hard for them as some have booked air the day prior (as most people recommend). If they don't fly tomorrow morning and the cruise goes, they may not be able to get refund from travel insurance.  If they take their flights and can't get on the ship then they are most likely stuck in Miami for the hurricane and might have trouble finding a place to stay (not to mention food, gas, and drinking water could run low) 

Feel that...I couldn't get travel insurance out of my flight down with just a delay..fortunately Delta did the right.  

New friends of this board, I’m exhausted.  Send us some good vibes that we make it to FLL for our boat!  We have been “traveling” all day and literally got nowhere due to the storms in DFW.  We were boarded on two different planes.  We got above DFW & tried to land, the airport was shut down right before approach, and we circled around for idk how long until we were turned back to TUL.  Then we sat on the plane for an hour and a half, and we’re now hitching a ride in a car with someone we met on one of our TWO planes to DFW.  So, we missed the last possible connection to FLL OR MIA for tonight and have to gamble for tmrw am. I could have driven to DFW if only I’d had a clue. 😞 please don’t rub it in that hubby opted out of trip insurance.  Luckily some of this will be covered by our wonderful Chase Card.  We don’t even know where our bags are, they wouldn’t really say, and I checked my carry on for free at their insistence so we don’t have any clothes or toiletries.  I hope you’ll send me positive thoughts and someone learns from this post. Lol

13 minutes ago, KimmieQ said:

New friends of this board, I’m exhausted.  Send us some good vibes that we make it to FLL for our boat!  We have been “traveling” all day and literally got nowhere due to the storms in DFW.  We were boarded on two different planes.  We got above DFW & tried to land, the airport was shut down right before approach, and we circled around for idk how long until we were turned back to TUL.  Then we sat on the plane for an hour and a half, and we’re now hitching a ride in a car with someone we met on one of our TWO planes to DFW.  So, we missed the last possible connection to FLL OR MIA for tonight and have to gamble for tmrw am. I could have driven to DFW if only I’d had a clue. 😞 please don’t rub it in that hubby opted out of trip insurance.  Luckily some of this will be covered by our wonderful Chase Card.  We don’t even know where our bags are, they wouldn’t really say, and I checked my carry on for free at their insistence so we don’t have any clothes or toiletries.  I hope you’ll send me positive thoughts and someone learns from this post. Lol

Oh goodness. So sorry. You have more perseverance than most would.

9 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

11:00 PM update:  140 mph sustained cat 4 hurricane.  Pressure down to 948 MB.  New track shows it riding on the coast from Palm Bay to SE GA.

Yup. It can’t get much worse for the coast. Maximum surge and wind damage this way all the way to Jacksonville. Stronger storm tomorrow over the Bahamas also.

i hope the cruise industry gets a backlash for trying to keep alll these last minute cruises if people get stranded in Florida or lose their cruisesand trip insurance refuses coverage. Bah. The nonsense with the NCL Breakaway is awful.

• Like 2