Any advantage to booking a suite while on a cruise.

5onadime

I have seen posts saying you may be able to get a free upgrade to the next category, but does this apply to suites?   I am looking at a cruise for next May.  We will be on a cruise in October.   Thank you for your advice.  

There is an opportunity when buying the Next Cruise Certificates to book a cabin on a future cruise and

get upgraded to one class better cabin - check with the Next Cruise people while on board.

I don't think that booking a low level suite will give you that upgrade to one class higher - but then I have

not seen the question asked or answered here.

Just off the Dawn last week. I booked a SE penthouse (forward facing) and called 3 weeks prior to sailing and asked about moving up to 1 of the 3 open DOS. They said no problem and no charge! If they feel they can sell/upgrade your current room faster then selling a higher end room I think they would do it. 

The program you are referencing is CRUISENEXT ULTIMATE. This option allows you to book a specific sailing and room. It allows a free upgrade within the same category. For instance, if you bought a BC balcony cabin, you .could get a free upgrade to a BB stateroom. It is not applicable to suites or studio cabins.

22 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Unlikely - usual 1 or 2 cabin class upgrades i.e. Inside to Ocean View Balcony or Balcony to mini-Suite.

But full suites are usually kept out of the free upgrade - NCL can make more money by awaiting the

Bidding/Upgrading awarding program.  

It's an in class upgrade. So buy a BB balcony and get a free upgrade to BA balcony. You do not get an oceanview for inside prices (or other similar class jumps) if you book online. 

22 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Unlikely - usual 1 or 2 cabin class upgrades i.e. Inside to Ocean View Balcony or Balcony to mini-Suite.

But full suites are usually kept out of the free upgrade - NCL can make more money by awaiting the

Bidding/Upgrading awarding program.  

It's an in class upgrade. So buy a BB balcony and get a free upgrade to BA balcony. You do not get an oceanview for inside prices (or other similar class jumps) if you book online. 

7 hours ago, gaabbee said:

Just off the Dawn last week. I booked a SE penthouse (forward facing) and called 3 weeks prior to sailing and asked about moving up to 1 of the 3 open DOS. They said no problem and no charge! If they feel they can sell/upgrade your current room faster then selling a higher end room I think they would do it. 

These 4 DOS on deck 12 right over the Bridge have no balcony and are a tad less desirable than suites with balconies.

The two suites on the wings have the same view along the side of the ship as the Bridge crew.

The two center suites have a hidden 2nd BR and the bump out view over the bow.

The DAWN has a wide variety of suites to accommodate almost anyone's needs.

DAWN also has 2 of the largest suites (Garden Villa) in all of NCLs fleet.

When it comes to what the guest will pay and what NCL will take -

a lot depends on where the cruise is to and time of year.

You may have been in a situation where there was a price (fare) drop and your SE class suite already paid

for was now at the same fare as those DOS - easy for NCL to say Yes and like your view NCL will be able

to resell your SE suite better than the DOS.

1 advantage to the OS DOS GV is the complimentary liquor bar-set-up and soft drinks !

You scored - enjoy the upgrade !