MSC Cruise Line - Lower Single Supplement

Roz

Just got back from a cruise fair that was sponsored by a major travel agency and held at one of our local Marriotts. Wanted to explore some of the less well known cruise lines, at least for Americans, and to check on their pricing for singles.

I've been primarily cruising Holland America, due to their reasonble single supplements. Brought back brochures, and talked to reps from MSC, Costa and Oceania. Found out that MSC charges about 160% for a single inside or outside cabin. Their Caribbean schedule for the later part of 2006 isn't officially out yet, but the rep assured me that they would be sailing from Ft. Lauderdale on 7 and 11 day itineraries. He also said individual TAs may discount the single supplement even more.

MSC is supposed to be more of a European experience in terms of service, food and entertainment. I may give it a try.

Don't know if Oceania is for me. They have open seating, and I don't like being stuck eating by myself every night, or having to persuade someone to eat with me.

Roz

RD,

That is good news. I normally cruise in Nov. or Dec. (few kids), so I'm hoping for a supplement less than 50%. MSC is trying to break into the North American market, so I think they're more willing to do price incentives in order to promote their cruise product.

Please post when you get back and let us know what you think of MSC, especially from the perspective of a single.

Roz

RD,

That is good news. I normally cruise in Nov. or Dec. (few kids), so I'm hoping for a supplement less than 50%. MSC is trying to break into the North American market, so I think they're more willing to do price incentives in order to promote their cruise product.

Please post when you get back and let us know what you think of MSC, especially from the perspective of a single.

Roz

What kind of people mix does MSC have? I am in my 30s I like to cruise but sometimes find it hard to get the girlfriend and family interested. Interested in the baseball special interest cruises they are offering in the spring and may do one myself this year. My brother and I are booked on the QM2 from NYC for Labor Day since he lives there.

To be honest, I am not sure what the mix of passengers will be like on MSC. I am a big HAL fan normally, and this year decided to try something different. Regarding HAL, there larger ships have a very diverse crowd, all ages, from all over the world. Last March I was on the Zaandam from Port Canaveral and found the crowd to be more sedate and regional - just didn't have the zing of a Zuiderdam cruise.

MSC should have a number of Europeans on board - my background is Italian - and originally my cousin and his wife (from Italy) were to join me in the Caribbean, and then sail back to Italy the following week. A family medical emergency (in Italy) has cancelled those problems. However, I am looking forward to a mix of European and international passengers. This is also a baseball theme cruise, and in addition there is an Italian beauty pageant - preliminary event - onboard with 40 contestants of Italian descent from North America and the Caribbean on board. The actual pageant will be held in Miami on March 18th - I think - there was also an Internet rumour that Sophia Loren was going to be sailing too. However, i do believe that that is just a rumour...

I think it will be a good time had by all - will keep you posted.....

To be honest, I am not sure what the mix of passengers will be like on MSC. I am a big HAL fan normally, and this year decided to try something different. Regarding HAL, there larger ships have a very diverse crowd, all ages, from all over the world. Last March I was on the Zaandam from Port Canaveral and found the crowd to be more sedate and regional - just didn't have the zing of a Zuiderdam cruise.

MSC should have a number of Europeans on board - my background is Italian - and originally my cousin and his wife (from Italy) were to join me in the Caribbean, and then sail back to Italy the following week. A family medical emergency (in Italy) has cancelled those problems. However, I am looking forward to a mix of European and international passengers. This is also a baseball theme cruise, and in addition there is an Italian beauty pageant - preliminary event - onboard with 40 contestants of Italian descent from North America and the Caribbean on board. The actual pageant will be held in Miami on March 18th - I think - there was also an Internet rumour that Sophia Loren was going to be sailing too. However, i do believe that that is just a rumour...

I think it will be a good time had by all - will keep you posted.....

When is your cruise? The one I was looking at was April 22. Last December I cruised with the wife, parents, brother and his wife and sister and grandmother (she gets around good for 89!) on Norwegian it was nice small ship very casual sort of a Holiday Inn type of cruise but it was very nice. I work on old cars for a living so the lady lumps ships with the cars and largely leaves those to my devices. She will agree to cruise once a year the remaining cruises I go myself or with others. There is a certain aspect I like to cruise solo sometimes it changes the atmosphere if you want to get a more personal cruise experience for you as opposed to the trip being a 'get away for us' type of thing. Same concept of 'I gotta get away from the kids' but I have no kids...

This Opera cruise - the last one of the season leaves March 11th.

Generally, on my March trips, I will travel with friends or significant other, depending on the situation. Last summer I went to Italy with my mother and two aunts to celebrate my Grandmother's (90th) birthday. This summer I will be taking my 14 year old niece there as well - hopefully combined with an MSC Armonia cruise.

Despite the fact that my cousin will not be joining me, I am actually looking forward to a vacation by myself without worrying about anybody else - time to just read, relax, and soak up the sun with no obligations, and the opportunity to drink some Italian beverages that are not available in Canada.

Cheers RD

HI, I noticed MSC while looking for a med. cruise I am thinking about. Has anyone sailed on this line. It looked like a possibility I thought. Any of you singles ever done a singles cruise? I am in my early 60's and so are my friends that are interested.

I am off this weekend on the Golden Princess for a family group. I'd like to do more cruising, but don't have anyone to go with. Most of my friends can only do 1 a year.

Elly

Roz

My opinion (and it is only my opinion) is that you may your Mediterranean cruise if you go on an American based line - Carnival, RCCL, HAL, etc. My vote is HAL.

MSC caters very heavily to Italians, Germans, and a Spanish clientele while in Europe. There will probably be fair number from Great Britain and Australia as well. If you speak any of these languages, it may not be an issue for you to meet people. That being said, I was originally looking at either Costa or MSC for a one week cruise from Venice in August. However, I will be taking my 14 year-old niece to Italy to meet her Italian great-grandmother and other relatives. We are looking at adding the cruise to our trip. I speak fluent Italian - she understands bits and pieces, and can string together the odd phrase. I think she would enjoy herself more on a ship where there are an adequate number of English speaking teens. For that reason, we are leaning towards RCCL and the Splendour of the Seas. I also prefer their itinerary as it has an extra sea day compared to the other lines.

In the Caribbean, it will be a different story - will let you know when I return in March. If I enjoy this cruise, I may just change my mind and stick with MSC and the Armonia.

Cheers

RD64,

I'm looking at the new ship, Musica, for a Caribbean cruise this coming Nov. or Dec. Please let us know how it goes. I'm especially interested in your opinion since like you, I'm a HAL cruiser.

The rep at the cruise show said they're working on their food, since apparently that's been an issue for North American passengers.

Roz

Archived