Maui Bus

tracy515

Here’s a link to the Maui County website for bus service to decide if it meets your requirements:

https://www.mauicounty.gov/605/Bus-Service-Information

The bus service in Lahaina leaves from the back side of the Wharf Cinema Center close to the tender pier but only goes hourly.  I’ve never used it when in Lahaina for a day in port but the limited availability & with many people in town with a ship in port it’s probably a less efficient mode of transportation.

I haven’t used either shared ride service (Uber/Lyft) but did price them when returning to our South Maui home from the airport which were more expensive than a taxi or shuttle van service.  The last time I checked taxi fares for the Lahaina area it was about $20 with tip to Ka’anapali Beach.  I don’t know about the availability of shared rides in Lahaina but as Bruce suggested I’d research that option.

You asked about service in & around Lahaina but don’t know where you plan to go & how tight your schedule is which could be considerations.

https://lahainatown.com/lahaina-harbor-map.php

Edited by Astro Flyer

34 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

It would depend on where you want to go. I used it and it was fine. Buy a day pass and you get priority boarding. 

The day pass is $4 or $2 ($1 seniors 55+/disabled) per ride.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We've used the Maui bus between Lahaina and Kaanapali at least 5 - 6 times over the years. It's quite convenient as long as you know the schedule and keep track of the time. The #28 bus (West Maui Islander) leaves from behind the Wharf Cinema  every hour on the half hour. An additional bus (#25-Kaanapali Islander) is added mid-afternoon and leaves hourly on the hour.  

We've never had a problem getting back and forth in time for ship departure, but we usually go early and make sure we head back by 3:30.  Occasionally, the return bus gets busy b/o resort workers getting off-shift -- and that's when they prioritize the boarding for monthly-pass holders and day-pass holders. So it's a good idea to ask for a day-pass when you initially board.

Thanks for all your replies!  We plan to use it to go from the port area to Kaanapali, then back to the Old Lahaina Luau, then back to the ship after that.  Seems like buying the day pass is the way to go!  We can always fall back on an Uber if we need to.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tracy515 said:

Thanks for all your replies!  We plan to use it to go from the port area to Kaanapali, then back to the Old Lahaina Luau, then back to the ship after that.  Seems like buying the day pass is the way to go!  We can always fall back on an Uber if we need to.  

If you're going to OLL from Kaanapali, you don't need to go all the way back into Lahaina.  You can get off at the Lahaina Cannery Mall stop.  Lahaina Cannery Mall is literally across the road from OLL. 

The current schedule shows the last bus leaving the Lahaina Cannery Mall at 9:16 arriving at the Wharf Cinema at 9:30.  I don’t know how that would work with the OLL & tendering to the ship but it’s possible to leave the luau a little early to get that final bus.