Millenium Northbound Alaska cruise

kraftyone2011

My mother in law and I are going on the Northbound Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Seward.  When the cruise ship docks  do they dock far away or closer to where excursion buses will be parked?

trying to decide if I need a wheelchair or not. I was told they usually dock in the same space at each port. 

Ports are juneau, icy strait point, Ketchikan, Skagway and Seward. 

Thanks

Even though we live in Alaska we do Alaska itineraries every two or years as it gives us an excuse to visit SE Alaska, which is very different from where we live in the Interior.  While I suppose the same size ship "usually" docks in the same space I am not sure I totally agree with that generalization. 

In Juneau we have docked both on the Millennium and Infinity.  Celebrity M-class ships generally dock near the terminal of the Mt. Roberts tramway.  However, given tide conditions there can be a rather steep incline at one of the docking piers from the gangway up to the top of the dock.  The gangway itself is generally not steep, but the walk from the pier to the top of the dock can be steep.  We were on the Solstice earlier this summer, and in Juneau we were docked out in the "hinterland," but given that the Solstice is a S-class ship that wasn't a surprise.  But on a M-class ship the shore excursion busses will be docked up past that incline with a little walk following.  The downtown area of Juneau will have kiosks with folks hawking private excursions.

Years ago Icy Strait Point was a tender port, but several years ago a floating dock was installed.  The Millennium will dock relatively close to shore at the floating dock.  ISP will have a golf-cart type shuttle to take you to from the ship their welcome center, and usually also on to the museum area of the port.  At the private port entrance you can pick up a shuttle into the community of Hoonah.  While I have been to ISP at least five times I am trying to remember if we have seen ship sponsored shore excursion buses at the welcome center.  Certainly a private excursion will pick up from the private port entrance.

In Ketchikan the Celebrity M-class ships will dock adjacent to a long dock.  Other ships will also be docked along the pier in a long line.  What you decide to do in Ketchikan and mobility issues will determine whether you need a wheelchair or not.  But if you take a ship organized excursion the walk will be short.  There will also be folks hawking private excursions in booths in several locations at this port.

At Skagway, on M-class ships we have been docked both at the pier on the right of the fjord and also at the railway dock.  Eachtime time there has been a golf-cart type shuttle available to take folks to the dock entrances.  At the pier on the right side of the fjord there is no room for shore excursion busses, so you would need to board at the dock entrance.  While I am not describing the situation well, at both docking locations it is easy to board the White Pass and Yukon Railway for their excursions.

The cruise terminal in Seward is essentially a warehouse.  There is a short walk from the ship to the back side warehouse, and then walk through the building to the front where transfers are met.  

Hope this information is of help.  Let me know if I can provide more.

Did Alaska cruise in July. We were supposed to tender. However, we docked in all ports. There are more docks available now with the addition of floating docks. The floating docks are huge. They are in good locations and are easy to walk on or off the ship.  If we docked far from town, the port provided free shuttle buses. Shore excursion buses were close to the dock. Small walk.  My spouse uses a cane and had no difficulty walking to the buses. Skagway runs a shuttle bus hop on hop off for $5 pp per day or $2 for a single ride. 

• 1 month later...

Can someone provide a copy/link/thread for the Millennium Alaska Daily Planners for the Northbound (Vancouver to Seward) from the 2019 sailings?  We are sailing on the 22 May 20 northbound.  I have not been able to crack the code on this search engine.