Drinks Package

nyc2pdx

I've been offered the upgrade to the Premium Plus drink package, having paid the gratuities for the Free at Sea for the Unlimited Drink package.  I am toying with the idea.  I am not a heavy drinker by any stretch, but I could see myself wanting to try new drinks, champagne, etc...what annoys me is that it does not include room service.  

So how does this work?  I noticed free bottle of wine...do I get those with dinner and then can bring them back to my room?  (I will likely have the steward clear out the minibar so I could use it for water).  And the bottled water-can I get the package of say 12 delivered to my room and would that be included?

There are so many nuances to all of this-I am really confused.  First time cruiser.

• Like 1

Specialty coffee, fresh squeezed orange juice, bottled water, gatorade, red bull, starred bottles of wine in restaurants for dinner, and no price cap are the hallmarks of the Premium Plus package.  
You can bring back an opened, unfinished bottle of wine from the dining room.  You can't get a package of bottled water delivered to your room, but you can get a cold one from any bar.

We get my mom a bottle of wine on a cruise, and the wine steward stores if for us between dinners.  When we dine in another restaurant, we turn in a claim check that says where the wine was stored, and they go bring it to us.   So I am not sure if they would let us take our open bottle of wine back to our room....

I think the corking fee is only $15 per bottle...so you could bring quite a few bottles on board for a lot less than $243.  And those you could keep in your room.

1 minute ago, nyc2pdx said:

That is very true...just out of curiousity-do they have waiters who come around to serve you, or do you have to go to the bar for all your drinks?  

Yes and...yes.

They do have servers:  around the pool, in the atrium, at most of the different bars.   

However, sometimes, it is a little faster to just go to the bar and get your own drink especially by the pool.

1 hour ago, nyc2pdx said:

for my 7 day cruise, $243 including the gratuity.  I might consider it because I love champagne!  I just wish it included room service.

We had a bottle (or two) of Veuve Cliquot every night with dinner and the PPBP. They sell it for $99/bottle or $35/glass on board. That, a bottle of water, and a coffee a day and you’re ahead of the price. 

3 minutes ago, hitch-04 said:

We had a bottle (or two) of Veuve Cliquot every night with dinner and the PPBP. They sell it for $99/bottle or $35/glass on board. That, a bottle of water, and a coffee a day and you’re ahead of the price. 

That made it easy to decide.  Thanks!

• Like 1

The PPB was amazing!  $243 is the standard price for a 7 day cruise.  I was able to accrue about $345 in OBC, so for the two of us to upgrade for about $140 was a no-brainer.  I work in the fine wine/liquor business, and was thrilled with the ability to get better quality wines with dinner, and a glass of Veuve Champagne at the Atrium Bar whenever I wanted!  The bottles of wine at dinner were interesting, because we did order a bottle of Veuve almost every night, but also ordered other wines off the list in addition.  One night, I wanted a glass of Lucente (SuperTuscan), and the wine steward was trying to push the whole bottle on me.  I really didn't care, since I wasn't paying any more for it, but the question was brought up if you can store the bottle for another night.  The answer is yes, but the proper response is, the bottle will not be as good tomorrow as it was tonight, and it isn't costing you any more, so why not just order the same bottle, or a different bottle the next night?  Makes fiscal sense on your part.  

In regards to the bottled water, no, you cannot get a case to your room.  However, you can go to the bar 6 times, and get 12 bottles of water.  Just an FYI, the mini-fridge only holds about 6.  We squirreled them away for port days.  Also, you can get both still (Aqua Panna) and sparkling (Pelligrino) for dinner every night, took full advantage of that as well!  

My advice, if you think you would enjoy a bottle of champagne a night ($99 on board), higher end Bourbons and Single Malt Scotches, other better quality wines ($65-$99) and all the BOTTLED WATER ($6/each), then go for it!  You only live once!  

Hope that was helpful!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

The PPB was amazing!  $243 is the standard price for a 7 day cruise.  I was able to accrue about $345 in OBC, so for the two of us to upgrade for about $140 was a no-brainer.  I work in the fine wine/liquor business, and was thrilled with the ability to get better quality wines with dinner, and a glass of Veuve Champagne at the Atrium Bar whenever I wanted!  The bottles of wine at dinner were interesting, because we did order a bottle of Veuve almost every night, but also ordered other wines off the list in addition.  One night, I wanted a glass of Lucente (SuperTuscan), and the wine steward was trying to push the whole bottle on me.  I really didn't care, since I wasn't paying any more for it, but the question was brought up if you can store the bottle for another night.  The answer is yes, but the proper response is, the bottle will not be as good tomorrow as it was tonight, and it isn't costing you any more, so why not just order the same bottle, or a different bottle the next night?  Makes fiscal sense on your part.  

In regards to the bottled water, no, you cannot get a case to your room.  However, you can go to the bar 6 times, and get 12 bottles of water.  Just an FYI, the mini-fridge only holds about 6.  We squirreled them away for port days.  Also, you can get both still (Aqua Panna) and sparkling (Pelligrino) for dinner every night, took full advantage of that as well!  

My advice, if you think you would enjoy a bottle of champagne a night ($99 on board), higher end Bourbons and Single Malt Scotches, other better quality wines ($65-$99) and all the BOTTLED WATER ($6/each), then go for it!  You only live once!  

Hope that was helpful!

Thanks!  The whole drinks thing is so confusing...but I think you are right-you only live once.  I could easily drink champagne every night, and will take the opportunity to try some other high end drinks while it is included!  Thank you!

2 minutes ago, nyc2pdx said:

That made it easy to decide.  Thanks!

We were sooooooooo glad we upgraded. Much less stressful than worrying about every single upcharge, and we definitely drank far more water than we would have otherwise- which was handy for surviving the drink package. 

• Like 1

Just now, hitch-04 said:

We were sooooooooo glad we upgraded. Much less stressful than worrying about every single upcharge, and we definitely drank far more water than we would have otherwise- which was handy for surviving the drink package. 

That is exactly what I want-I don't want to have to worry about it.  I just want to enjoy and relax.  Sounds like a done deal to me!  I'm sold.

• Like 2

Just an FYI, NCL makes you pay for the taxes while in US Ports (at least in Florida).  They're not just like 6% or 7% like sales tax, but like $4/drink!  We racked up a hefty bill of about $30-$40 while IN PORT before we left the dock!  All because we were drinking double Woodford Reserve's instead of Bulliet Bourbon (which I love), but I thought I'd be the big shot and start to get my money's worth! Oh well, again, you only live once!  (Still waiting for my liver transplant btw.....)

2 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Just an FYI, NCL makes you pay for the taxes while in US Ports (at least in Florida).  They're not just like 6% or 7% like sales tax, but like $4/drink!  We racked up a hefty bill of about $30-$40 while IN PORT before we left the dock!  All because we were drinking double Woodford Reserve's instead of Bulliet Bourbon (which I love), but I thought I'd be the big shot and start to get my money's worth! Oh well, again, you only live once!  (Still waiting for my liver transplant btw.....)

I am leaving from Los Angeles, so I am not sure if it will apply....but good to know!  Believe me, coming from a state where we have no sales tax (Oregon) I feel the sting of sales tax twice as much.  😉

2 minutes ago, nyc2pdx said:

I am leaving from Los Angeles, so I am not sure if it will apply....but good to know!  Believe me, coming from a state where we have no sales tax (Oregon) I feel the sting of sales tax twice as much.  😉

But you guys have such great wine in PNW!  Bring some great pinot's and call it a day!!! 🙂

Just now, YankeesFan4Life said:

But you guys have such great wine in PNW!  Bring some great pinot's and call it a day!!! 🙂

That we do.  Amazing Pinot's.  How else do you think we survive the 9 months of rain in the Pacific Northwest?!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nyc2pdx said:

That we do.  Amazing Pinot's.  How else do you think we survive the 9 months of rain in the Pacific Northwest?!

I work with a lot of Pinot producers from the Willamette Valley and surrounding areas.  Willamette Valley Vineyards, Colene Clemens, DDO, A to Z, King Estate and a few other great ones!  Love me some Oregon Pinot's!

Edited by YankeesFan4Life

I'm sorry I'm new to NCL. Just want to be verify.

To upgrade to Premium Plus it's $243 PER PERSON for a 7 day cruise, correct?

Thanks so much.....Nancy 🙂

And all apologies in advance for asking a question that is I'm sure very plain to most everyone!

Edited by Petoonya

Ok......I actually found the answer all by myself lol.

Guess we'll pass on it as it looks like both of us have to upgrade and I don't even drink. Got the beverage package for husband and figure I'll be able to get soft drinks and maybe virgin drinks.

Oh well. Sounds like a great deal but we'll pass.

Edited by Petoonya