Rome Hotel

dickinson

I will need a hotel in Rome for two nights next August.  Two years ago we stayed near the Colosseum at the Hotel Lancelot but this time would like a more central location.  Must have is some breakfast in the morning and air conditioning.  Elevator also a must.  Willing to pay around $300 or so /night.  Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, luckyfincruiser said:

We just spent two nights at Hotel Campo de Fiori in Rome before our cruise.  Found it from recommendations on here.  Excellent breakfast, great location, elevator, AC, nice staff members.  

Thanks. I’ll check it out. 

Albergo Santa Chiara (very central, right behind the Pantheon) -- great hotel and you can sometimes get rooms for $250 or close -- probably not in high season though.

Nice rooms, on the small side as usual with European hotels. Great breakfast. Can't beat the location.

I have recommended the 9Hotel Cesari in the past, between the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain but after my last stay it was very much in need of a re-do, which I think is in process -- so just at the moment I'm reluctant to recommend them.

Albergo del Senato would not be in your range but it is hands-down my favorite in the area.

Thank you.  I will check it out.  Do you know anything about Relais Trevi 95 boutique hotel?  I found it on Trivago with high reviews.  It is right by Trevi Fountain.  It was slightly less expensive than Albergo Santa chiara.

The Relais Trevi 95 boutique hotel is just east of Trevi (Google maps says a 2 minute walk but probably a bit more...). I don't know the hotel itself but it looks like one with a more modern aesthetic than Santa Chiara, which is more traditional Italian style.

The location might be considered slightly less central than the Pantheon, but a lot depends on what you're planning to see and do while you're in Rome...

cruisemom42 - Thanks.  We went to Rome for two days two years ago and saw all the highlights.  We stayed at the Hotel Lancelot near the Colosseum.  It was highly rated.  We liked it but it's location is not central.  That trip was mid May when it wasn't too hot.  This time will be next July so heat will be an issue with all the walking.  I have made reservations so far at the Hotel Lancelot and also Relais Trevi 95 hotel.  I have a little time to decide.  Not sure what we plan on doing.  We get off the ship and have to make our way to Rome so have that afternoon and the whole next day before we go home.

Since Rome has so many wonderful "must sees", I imagine you just scratched the surface in two days.

If you stay nearer to the Pantheon/Piazza Navona side, some relatively close sights worth seeing include:

• Castel Sant'Angelo (Emperor Hadrian's tomb) -- good bet on a hot day
  • The Forum Boarium and the "Mouth of Truth"
  • Campo dei Fiori market (mornings)
  • Palazzo Altemps -- great museum in a nice palazzo, just behind Piazza Navona
  • Jewish Ghetto (tours are offered)
  • The Ara Pacis museum  (beautiful museum designed around an Augustan-era altar with superb reliefs)

But note that most of these things are on the western side of the Pantheon, not as far east as Trevi). Nearer to Trevi the area is heaving with shops, restaurants, tourists, a few good churches, but not so many 'outstanding' sights. You are close to the Spanish Steps with designer shopping; there is the Galleria Doria Pamphilj (outstandingly ornate rooms and art); and the Vicus Caprarius, tucked away and a bit difficult to find but an interesting (now underground) Roman site.

If you stay in the area around Hotel Lancelot again, you might consider:

• Underground visit to the Domus Aurea (available only on weekends I think....)
  • Baths of Caracalla
  • Museum of the Imperial Forums (Musei dei Fori Imperiali -- really great; part inside and part outside)
  • Capitoline Museum (good for a hot afternoon)
  • Basilica of San Clemente (3 different levels including Roman-era at bottom)

Thank you so much for all the wonderful suggestions!  We did go to the Jewish Museum and synagogue.  Unfortunately we missed the ghetto tour.  We walked around where all the restaurants are and then ate at a place in the back of a building facing a parking lot.  Our tour guide at the Forum told us it was a great little place where locals go to eat.

On 9/3/2019 at 7:20 PM, luckyfincruiser said:

We just spent two nights at Hotel Campo de Fiori in Rome before our cruise.  Found it from recommendations on here.  Excellent breakfast, great location, elevator, AC, nice staff members.  

So happy to read this as we will be staying there after our cruise in less than 2 weeks!!!

We just stayed at the Albergo del Senato for two nights in August and the total was around 220 euros per night. It was fabulous. Our room was large and faced the Pantheon. Opening the window and watching the activities and listening to the sounds of the people was breathtaking. I took several videos so I can remember my love of Rome. I so want to go back there again. They serve a nice breakfast and you can walk everywhere. We booked directly with the hotel online and got a discount.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for a Hotel pre cruise at the end of October 2020. We’d like to stay between $170-200/night. Centrally located near Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Coliseum, etc. Elevator needed.

Our TA recommends Hotel Traiano, but it doesn’t get great reviews on the travel sites.

Has anyone stayed there or have any recommendations?

Thanks!

On 9/4/2019 at 10:45 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Albergo Santa Chiara (very central, right behind the Pantheon) -- great hotel and you can sometimes get rooms for $250 or close -- probably not in high season though.

Nice rooms, on the small side as usual with European hotels. Great breakfast. Can't beat the location.

I have recommended the 9Hotel Cesari in the past, between the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain but after my last stay it was very much in need of a re-do, which I think is in process -- so just at the moment I'm reluctant to recommend them.

Albergo del Senato would not be in your range but it is hands-down my favorite in the area.

I agree, I have stayed at both the Albergo Santa Chiara and 9Hotel Cesari and think they are both great, although haven't stayed at the latter in a few years so I'm not surprised it is in need of a re-do.

I'll be staying at Hotel Pantheon next June for the first time. Hoping for a good experience as you cannot beat the location.