scooter accessible tours

hoppysmom

I will be traveling in Spain in Nov., with my scooter. when i look at tours they will say not wheelchair accessible. however, most are just walking tours. i realize that i will not be doing caves or hikes, but even if i don't go into every sight on tour that is not a problem. i have traveled all over with this scooter, including over cobble stones. can anyone tell me what tours woukd be good for a scooter? i would like to see some of the sights. when i ask some of the companies like viator, they tell me they only know about wheelchairs not scooters. any help from past passengers who have participated in these tours would be appreciated.

3 hours ago, hoppysmom said:

I will be traveling in Spain in Nov., with my scooter. when i look at tours they will say not wheelchair accessible. however, most are just walking tours. i realize that i will not be doing caves or hikes, but even if i don't go into every sight on tour that is not a problem. i have traveled all over with this scooter, including over cobble stones. can anyone tell me what tours woukd be good for a scooter? i would like to see some of the sights. when i ask some of the companies like viator, they tell me they only know about wheelchairs not scooters. any help from past passengers who have participated in these tours would be appreciated.

With scooters, I would assume that any group tour operator's hesitance would often involve the ability to transport the scooter on their bus or in their van. Folding wheelchairs are one thing while scooters (unless they are one of the completely collapsible compact ones) are a while other challenge. 

IMO, you should be searching for private tour operators who cater to folks having mobility equipment that requires special handling (e.g., ramp access et al.).

I can see another problem w the scooter.  When the tour operator sets up the tour schedule, they allow a certain amount of time for the passengers on the bus to get off and then on  the bus.  If you take your scooter, they have to allow time to remove the scooter from the bus baggage area at each stop if there even is one and then time at the end of the stop to return it to the luggage area.  This takes sightseeing time from the tour.  It might not be too much of a problem if it is just you and your scooter but what if there several people w scooters.  Think about that problem.

DON