Carnival Pride cruising in February

heatherpl

So our cruise in February 2020 we are cruising to Princess Cays, Nassau and Freeport. I know its close to 5 months away. But I was wondering if freeport will still be closed as a port what port would the ship dock? Or would the ship just be docked longer at Nassau or Princess cays?

It's all speculation at this point.  Nassau and Princess are too far from Baltimore to make any time there on Friday work, particularly in winter.  So that theory is most definitely out.  I think Port Canaveral is the only stop that would work with the timing, so it's either that or a sea-day if Freeport is not open.  Given the customs hassle with a US port stop, I'd bet you are looking at a sea-day.

technically its only 4 months away and 9 days that comes soon if you think about it. September is almost over it is flying. So I am a planner that likes to know what I am looking at in the future if there will be changes.  So I am asking this question  OK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heatherpl said:

technically its only 4 months away and 9 days that comes soon if you think about it. September is almost over it is flying. So I am a planner that likes to know what I am looking at in the future if there will be changes.  So I am asking this question  OK.

How is anybody supposed to answer your question???  

healthrpl, you may go to Key West or HMC instead of Freeport. As others mentioned, no one knows (as of now) when ships will be docking in Freeport again. 

Here's part of a letter I received from Carnival on Tuesday;

We've all heard so much about The Bahamas in the wake of Hurricane Dorian. I'm happy to be able to share one piece of great news, and one positive sign of progress!

Our ships are returning to The Bahamas — we have 41 calls to Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Princess Cays scheduled for September. And of course more to come throughout the rest of the year.

Regardless of where you'll sail, you'll have a great time.

Happy Sails! 🛳️

OP, it's still a ways away but the only viable alternative for Freeport would be Port Canaveral. For those that think Nassau is to far to make it back to Baltimore on time are incorrect. Up until 5 or 6 years ago the Pride regularly did the GT, HMC, Nassau run. It was a full day in Nassau, then the Pride would still be back in Baltimore by 7am. The problem was that the Pride would need to travel at full speed to do this, which burns a lot of fuel. In order to reduce fuel consumption, it was decided to change from Nassau to Freeport which is further north and also reduce the time in port. This way they could cruise back to Baltimore at a slower speed, thus saving fuel. That said, that's the reason I don't think they will substitute Nassau even though it is doable. 😎

• Like 2

14 hours ago, heatherpl said:

There's just no way anyone can answer your question.Four months is a long time when you are talking about potential port construction, and a host of other things.  You quite literally have no control over any changes that may or may not occur.  You are going to have to just wait and see.  No one on these boards can answer you definitively.

Relax!

THe  Pride is one of two ships porting there for supplies.

Supplies need to be taken in by ship since the airport has some damage.    No one knows how long it will take the airport to be up and running-  So to answer your questing for a Feb sailing..   we just cant.

If things are still the way they are running now   Carnival Pride goes to Freeport to drop off supplies   you do not get another port.   You dont get off at Freeport either.  

A few possibilities.  Maybe they extend a port.  Maybe it becomes Port Canaveral.  Maybe it becomes a sea day.   We all know Freeport would like to be open as soon as possible, but who knows when that'll be.

I'm a planner too, possibly an overplanner.  If I were you, I'd be researching things to do in all the options.  Maybe you plan something special if it becomes an extra sea day.  Look at Port Canaveral excursions.  Look at plans for something to do if you get a longer day in one of your ports.  Ultimately, I don't even have a guess as to what they will do, but that's my tip on how to handle your nervousness/excitement.  Be as prepared as possible for any possibility- and maybe you'll book another cruise to go back and do some of the extra fun stuff you found.   

I will be on 10/20 Pride Cruise going Grand Turk, HMC and Freeport. Whatever they do instead of Freeport I will not complain. Basically from what I gather from other posts it will be one of 3 options.

1) Stop at Freeport to deliver supplies but Passengers do not leave ship (basically a sea day)

2) Sea Day, no stop at Freeport

3) Stop at Port Canaveral (which for me would be a sea day since Port Canaveral is a dud stop in my opinion). 

55 minutes ago, serene56 said:

Being an over planner is ok    BUt being an over-planner can also lead to big time problems   as small disappointments can snowball into something much bigger.       

Being an under planner can lead to big time problems as well.  We all have our personalities, and need to find ways to live with ourselves.  I was just tossing out what I would do in a similar situation- OP can take it or leave it. And I'm sure it'll all be fine once they get on the ship

In-part from Cruise Critic under news.

All affected cruise ports and cruise line private islands have reopened, with the exception of Freeport, which sustained serious damage and is currently open only to ships bringing in humanitarian aid. While the harbor and docking areas were relatively spared, operations are being hampered by a lack of electricity, running water and necessary operational staff on the island. It is not known when the port will reopen to cruise passengers.  

Nassau, another popular Bahamas cruise port, was spared the devastation that occurred on Grand Bahama Island and remains open.

16 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

OP, it's still a ways away but the only viable alternative for Freeport would be Port Canaveral. For those that think Nassau is to far to make it back to Baltimore on time are incorrect. Up until 5 or 6 years ago the Pride regularly did the GT, HMC, Nassau run. It was a full day in Nassau, then the Pride would still be back in Baltimore by 7am. The problem was that the Pride would need to travel at full speed to do this, which burns a lot of fuel. In order to reduce fuel consumption, it was decided to change from Nassau to Freeport which is further north and also reduce the time in port. This way they could cruise back to Baltimore at a slower speed, thus saving fuel. That said, that's the reason I don't think they will substitute Nassau even though it is doable. 😎

Hi Jamman54 (I LOVE your reviews) 😊

In 2011, we sailed the Pride to Port Canaveral, Nassau, Freeport then back to Baltimore.

18 hours ago, jabberjaw070596 said:

you are projecting way too far into the future.  There is no way of determining what will happen almost 6 months away.  We are just in the middle of hurricane season so who knows what will happen.  Like others said just relax and wait and see what happens

On 9/10/2019 at 8:27 PM, heatherpl said:

So our cruise in February 2020 we are cruising to Princess Cays, Nassau and Freeport. I know its close to 5 months away. But I was wondering if freeport will still be closed as a port what port would the ship dock? Or would the ship just be docked longer at Nassau or Princess cays?

Seems many people were able to answer your questions and help all of us that were wondering the same thing. Shows you can ask any question you have and don’t have to “relax”. 

I’m currently on the Pride as I write this.  We had stops in Grand Turk and HMC  and this morning we docked in Freeport to deliver “supplies”. They dropped off minimal supplies (attaching a pic) which really surprised me.  

We are now out to sea. Weren’t even there 2 hours.  While we were In Freeport I saw at least 5 planes leaving the island.  And now I see another plane coming in for a landing.  They are getting help. 

The port area area was very quiet and didn’t look bad—the little port huts were  boarded but everything was still standing.  I’m sure they had considerable water damage though.  Nobody was around, not even dock workers. Carnival just unloaded and left.  We were reimbursed $10.82 for port fees and got a letter asking if we wanted to donate it back.  

0BB0F76F-100A-4016-987E-9EC5825B5E8F.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Irisheyesde said:

Seems many people were able to answer your questions and help all of us that were wondering the same thing. Shows you can ask any question you have and don’t have to “relax”. 

Incorrect.  People here have offered their guesses as to what will happen.  There is, nor can there be, no definitive answer to the question 4 months before a cruise.  Too many variables in the ensuing months.