Island Princess Engine Problems

BruceMuzz

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

Agreed. If the OBC compensation were to be commensurate with what people paid (as the 15% credit is) it would make sense to offer suite guests less OBC than those in "lower" categories for off-ship time. Indeed, the suite guests have a much nicer stateroom to retreat to while "stuck on the ship" than the rest of the passengers do. 

So, they still have missed port time in "the suite". I've had a few cruises where we missed ports and it was very disappointing, and we were never offered any compensation. Guess that depends on why the ports were missed.

Edited by dog

3 hours ago, laktex said:

Not sure I agree with that suggestion - suite occupants have paid quite a considerable fare for that place to “retreat to”.  

Even more to the point...

The suite folks represent more profit per capita than we ...steerage types.  Princess *really* doesn't want to encourage them to go elsewhere  🙂

35 minutes ago, dog said:

So, they still have missed port time in "the suite". I've had a few cruises where we missed ports and it was very disappointing, and we were never offered any compensation. Guess that depends on why the ports were missed.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  Missing ports due to weather is considered "act of God" and the cruise line cannot be held accountable and I would doubt that reasonable passengers would argue that point.  On the other hand, mechanical failure is arguably a different matter and in the cases that I have heard of, Princess has stepped up to offer reasonable compensation for the inconvenienced passengers.  What may have been offered from the letter that was posted was most likely generated from the ship, within company guidelines, rather than through guidance from the corporate level.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, laktex said:

There will be many opinions about this “compensation” and of course many different circumstances.  For example, someone living in BC can quite easily take another cruise to see Alaska properly ( and not just a few hours in Ketchikan, as we did on this cruise). Someone, like myself, having flown from the UK will have very significant costs in repeating the Alaskan experience. -  should the compensation package reflect this? 

With this being a five day cruise with just two ports in Alaska, I would not expect anyone to fly that far only for such a short cruise.

• Like 1

The ultimate failure rests with the Captain on this matter.  We were told the delay departing was due to engine repairs.  We were told that due to the delay departing we were losing Juneau.  The repairs were needed as it was a safety concern.  All of this was unfortunate but understandable.  We found out after the cruise the engine never got repaired and needs to be replaced in San Francisco.  The whole safety thing was false and in fact our safety was actually compromised as if the other motor blew we would be adrift motor less.  The debacle of the compensation is moot in comparison to the false and lack of information the Captain put forth.  The ship could not make 21 knts and despite taking short cuts there was no way to reach Juneau.  There was serious doubt they could make Astoria going south after our departure and I wonder if they informed the next group.  Our one and only cruise as this was an eye opener to us indeed so no 15% off our next cruise and the $100 ship credit went to gratuities for service that was truly lacking in so many ways.  Self serve cruise is what this seemed like and the griping on the boat confirmed it was not just us experiencing the problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Livtastic said:

Well I guess the customer complaints were adequate enough for Princess to reconsider their initial offer. Rightly so I believe. So to all of those who were onboard, enjoy your increased 2020 discount! 😊

And what was the increased compensation? Can't find any mention of it.

• Thanks 1

We got an additional 35% of the cost of our previous cruise off on another cruise if booked by Sept 2020.  Basically we got 50% of our previous cruise cost off on a future cruise which is more palatable.  We lost 50% of our cruise but I would have preferred to not have to cruise again but maybe we will.

• Like 1